[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosmic horrors and entities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: Azathoth.jpg (7KB, 279x181px) Image search: [Google]
Azathoth.jpg
7KB, 279x181px
How does /x/ feel about Lovecraftian horrors and the idea of cosmic entities? Any odd encounters with the occult? Do you really think the mere sight of a creature could render someone insane? I'm not asking if you think Cthulhu is real or anything. I'm just asking if you think the IDEA of these beings has any merit. I'd like to look further into this on my own, however the bulk of the internet is littered with roleplay games and audiobooks of Lovecraft's work.
>>
also if you have any ideas on where I could start to look further into this such as books or news articles I'd appreciate that quite a lot.
>>
File: dick_pic.png (28KB, 790x192px) Image search: [Google]
dick_pic.png
28KB, 790x192px
>>17476549
You're asking multiple things, so I'll address the two most obvious ones.

Cosmic horrors, as in huge critters living in space. If we knew of any, we'd be eaten by now. It's within the realm of possibility that such things exist. Our current science can barely detect planets around neighboring stars.

Sanity check failure. It is possible to see something that voids the warranty on your brain? Probably. Pic related. If you encounter something you can't handle, you either take refuge in denial or you blue screen. There are some cool experiments where people simply did not notice the guy in the gorilla suit.
>>
>>17476742
sorry if I asked too many questions. It's a pretty vague subject so to maximize interest I asked a few different questions relating to one topic. Now we've talked about the possibility of cosmic horrors existing in space but what about smaller scale creatures living in our oceans? The bloop has some potential and if you don't dismiss it as glacial movement it isn't too much of a stretch to think it's simply a disturbing horror laying dormant at the bottom of our deepest oceans. That's not what I believe as of right now but if given some kind of evidence I may be convinced. It's a lot of ifs but I just don't see a reason why it couldn't be something at least similar to Cthulhu
>>
File: wallpaper-258861.jpg (4MB, 3200x2160px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-258861.jpg
4MB, 3200x2160px
>>
>>17476558
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoMadFromTheRevelation

Might be of some use to you
>>
No way to know for sure, but I definitely believe there are things outside of human comprehension in the universe. I think no one will ever truly know though. Lovecraft's word sum up my view on the subject better than anything.
"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
>>
>>17477489
I just got incredibly stoned so your summary of Lovecraft's philosophy is making me trip my shit in a good way
>>
>>17477721
Getting fucked up and reading Lovecraft is the best worst decision you can ever make.
>>
I do believe that Lovecraftian monsters actually do exist in another universe.
>>
>>17476742
>your waifu isin't real
>>
>>17476549
they're just metaphors for the acknowledgment of mortality
>>
File: salem9.jpg (57KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
salem9.jpg
57KB, 500x380px
>>17478961
NOOOO
>>
>>17479435

Lovecraft was a fairly firm materialistic atheist. Some of his monsters were the corruption of the idea of deities. He appeared to hate any form of supertistion and took no religion seriously (although not to the point of Dawkin fanboys.)
>>
>>17477489
>t. cowardly intellectual light weight
>>
>>17476742

>There are some cool experiments where people simply did not notice the guy in the gorilla suit.

could you link some? thanks
>>
File: 1453201216752.jpg (77KB, 700x849px) Image search: [Google]
1453201216752.jpg
77KB, 700x849px
>>17476549
I used to wonder if we are just in an area in the universe that has certain physical properties and that the big bang was just a small local "explosion".
Maybe the further we go the more unnatural (from out point of view) the properties of space and time are.
Reality itself might just be a property, one of many.
Our universe may as well be a giant neutron in a single water molecule in Azathoth's glass of orange juice.
On a serious note though, we probably shouldn't dig too deep, remember what happened to dwarves.

>>17480036
*tips fedora*
>>
File: 1457681641757.jpg (73KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457681641757.jpg
73KB, 720x720px
I like to think that creatures Lovecraft wrote about actually exist these days through collective thought.

The concept of Tulpa and collective thought terrifies me to no end.
>>
>>17480567

Considering his intense obsession with a few of them, Nightgaunts in particular (which had plagued his dreams ever since he was a child) I could believe it.
>>
>>17480066
http://www.livescience.com/6727-invisible-gorilla-test-shows-notice.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inattentional_blindness
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.