[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buddhist cosmology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: bcosmology.jpg (842KB, 1027x1524px) Image search: [Google]
bcosmology.jpg
842KB, 1027x1524px
Is the buddhist cosmology ment to be real or just a methapher.
Like with the king of heaven and hell etc.
Also as a young buddhist myself, does it bring bad karma if I only drink alcohol but try my hardest to stay together and do not do shit that hurt others ? I know it is the 5th sila but, if I do not hurt anyone is it still bad ?
>>
I've visited buddhist hell and buddhist heaven before.
They are as real as you or me. So honestly they aren't all that real. They are meditation exercises.
So by thinking about them properly, then you generate merit. You train your mind to be more compassionate after seeing hell, if you do end up there, you'll be rescued by the Tara anyway.
Whatever you do OP should be thought of in terms that will help you along the path. Play video games in the name of enlightenment for all beings. Drink that beer for for reasons that it can actually benefit you. Buddhists actually have beer rituals traditionally.
How much alcohol is "drinking alcohol?" How much good could you do in meditation instead? How much good does it do you? Knowingly hurting yourself is karma, and it's walking the middle way on razor-rollerskates.

Can you save children in a burning building wearing razorblade rollerskates? Can you learn anything from your session?

Being mindful is more than just doing good stuff, it's about using the bad stuff skillfully too.
If you honestly hold the beer in the proper ritual, then you gain so much more. You could try creating ritual for it. You can use it as a carrot for ass, to drag you to actually practice, but then you can't go drinking with friends. But perhaps drinking with friends isn't so bad.

But drinking and then using it as an excuse is awful. You shouldn't use it ever as an excuse. You can be loose and at peace anytime, you don't want to make that feeling synonymous with a drug-state, cause that is attachment. To use drugs instead of meditating is to be unskillful with our time and resources.

You can either take your 500 dollars and eat well for a good few months, or you can get drunk on it, a walker of the middle way can do all, and also can choose not to do a few.

But when one sees a drunk buddhist, they start to misunderstand the translation of "suffering" and avoid the truths of the mind.
>>
File: 1377471229579.jpg (78KB, 1181x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1377471229579.jpg
78KB, 1181x1188px
>>17463409

How many successive days of meditation have you done in a row. (daily, bidaily, weekly?) Think of how often you break that meditation. Why is that? Alcohol is a concern because of the fact that it's harder for most to wake up with a hangover and meditate. If you don't wake up with a hangover or regret, then you walked the middle way. The druids were often believed to have branched off from the original buddhist/shamanism mix and they actually advocated alcohol in small doses, with meals and after heavy exercise. But they were sadly wrong about it's safety in pregnancy.

Modern science is saying that Red Wine contains chemicals quite like the Rhodiola Root of Tibetan medicine. Both make for a longer life.
Only alcohol makes for many shorter lives too.
There are ways to get different types of relief. herbs are numerous.
>>
>>17463305
It's the same as with Christianity really. There are parts that are meant to be taken literal and parts that are symbolic/metaphorical. Usually the parts that are embarassing and/or proven wrong by science are usually the ones that are symbolical, but that's just a coincidence! Just cling to the parts that cannot be verified in any objective sense and you will be fine.

RICH, METAPHORICAL SYMBOLISM!
>>
>>17465378
>Usually the parts that are embarassing and/or proven wrong by science are usually the ones that are symbolical, but that's just a coincidence!
which parts of buddhism are you referring to? i mean specifics, not just anecdotal or cultural aspects, but literal texts
>>
>>17465414
It's safe to say that anyone challenging Buddhism has never encountered it. Entirely safe.
>>
>>17463305
lol bad karma from drinking alcohol... You can mercilessly slaughter an entire village and still be Awake.
>>
File: Ayy gurl u want sum fuk.png (216KB, 344x355px) Image search: [Google]
Ayy gurl u want sum fuk.png
216KB, 344x355px
>>17463305
Dayyyyam dat some sweet buddhist cosmology right dere
>>
File: b-and-w-kalachakra.jpg (405KB, 1345x1600px) Image search: [Google]
b-and-w-kalachakra.jpg
405KB, 1345x1600px
>Shhhhhhh
>>
>>17465414
Sure. In the Pali canon the Buddha is said to be omniscient. The he states that he believes in spontaneous generation, a theory debunked by Pasteur. He also believes that humans were present since the beginning of the universe and picked rice directly from the ground without having to cultivate it. He also believes in mount Sumeru, a giant mountain in the center of the world.

No Mahayana scripture can fail to begin with the Buddha being attended by a retinue of dragons and other non-existing beings. Enough said.

I've gone through the Buddhist scriptures. Don't ask me to produce here the exact chapter and page because I won't waste my time reviewing all scriptures, and believe, there is a lot, for someone who is just going to dismiss it as MUH SYMBOLISM and stay with what he already wanted to believe in, in the first place.
>>
>>17466051
>dragons
>non-existing beings
> implying buddhas don't have so much power over mind that they can't create dragons
> implying dragons and other beings don't exist in aethereal planes where science can't see them
nice try, skeptics
>>
>>17463305
It's ok to drink, don't be afraid of life. Really you don't even need practise, just be yourself op XDDD
>>
>>17466177
>>dragons
>>non-existing beings
ha-ha-ha!
>>
>>17465605
I saw this in the window of an acupuncture clinic where I used to live. Thought it looked neat, but never really thought about it. Weird I should see it again.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.