[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

game magic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: oxenfree.jpg (107KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
oxenfree.jpg
107KB, 1920x1080px
i was playing oxenfree today (fun game) and got to thinking - has anyone done any sort of real magical rituals or experiments through video games? like, integrating sigils that are charged by the players, or even directly inviting players to participate in a larger project? seems to me that a lot could be done with that sort of manpower if the game itself was good enough to get popular and it was crafted carefully enough.
>>
>>17461671
This has been happening for at least the last decade, probably he last three decades, and even on up to the last five decades. So yes, someone has done such experiments.
>>
>>17461708
details? considering this is /x/, where people love to make vague shit up for kicks, i'm not exactly going to take your word for it.
>>
>>17461720
Modern games, well all games really, (like movies) require a ton of content. They have to make an engaging and realistic world. They have to draw from multiple sources to make it seems realistic, like it wasn't just a game someone threw together some time. Some of those sources end up being occult, and, well, to be completely honest, since there's so much fantasy content in a lot of games, they tend to bring in a lot of occult concepts. The less effort one author puts into their worldbuilding, while also referencing popular myths, the more likely someone is to feel that the concept was pulled off badly. As this process continues on and on for decades and even centuries, the internet will slowly create more realistic, better researched content for games. The more realistic things become, the more realistic people will WANT them to be be. The myths will slowly grow and evolve over time, with earnest fans wanting it to snap back to the original myth, to represent the mythical "truth" of the legends. But something magical happens when the legend is true, when the story can be traced back to a real person.

People instantly stop giving a shit about myths spawned of actual people. The Twilight fans will overwhelm the die-hard original-story fans and it ends up converging on the myth of the legend rather than the actual person. The people die, but their story lives on. The legend becomes more than the real person. (Or, on occasion the myth is watered down from the truth to make the legend seem more approachable and less arrogant. Whatever makes a better story.) History slowly disembodies itself from the truth about its own past.

What was your question again... Oh yes, symbols in games. Naturally, author will want to integrate the most alluring myths present in their culture. That means searching for legitimate occult content if your game is Assassin's Creed, or Half Life 2 (IIRC, which is never a given), or games not yet published or even dreamed of.
>>
>>17461671
Yeah, morrowind did this really well.
Like praying to sigils of gods in the game, performing rituals for gods (deepest lore of any game I've ever played), and there's even pretty solid theories explaining why you have access to the console (having god-like abilities to enter cheats, editing the world) with the lore to back it up.
Although, after morrowing the ES series diverged from the occult'ish method of explaining their lore, and went full retard (catering to the lowest denominator).
DnD also does this with their lore, but that's a pen and paper game; so it's more imagination based while depending on the DM for how complex rituals or sigils are to use.

Also, sigils are everywhere... everyone who has a logo (logos = greek definition: god/logic) uses a sigil (although some happen to follow the established pattern that sigils follow, like CERN is a great example, IMO the creators had some awareness of the occult which is cool IMO). Even McDonald's and shit is getting charged by people focusing their energy on them.

Though, experiments? Humm, just some fringe games, or you should look at the video game creepy pastas like the sonic one (that ones true), or the morrowind mod that killed someone (this one is false, but an interesting experiment that had a cult following for awhile).
>>
I need some magic done for my fantasy basketball team. Can anyone help me out?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.