[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chimps build Shrine to Sacred Tree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: sacred Tree.jpg (60KB, 634x491px) Image search: [Google]
sacred Tree.jpg
60KB, 634x491px
Chimpanzees in West Africa have been spotted banging and throwing rocks against trees and throwing them into gaps inside, leading to piles of rocks. Those rocks do not appear to be for any functional purpose — and might be an example of an early version of ritual behaviour.

"We found the first evidence of chimpanzees creating a kind of shrine that could indicate sacred trees," says Laura Kehoe, a PhD student at Humboldt University in Berlin.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mysterious-chimpanzee-behaviour-could-be-sacred-rituals-and-show-that-chimps-believe-in-god-a6911301.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3475816/Is-proof-chimps-believe-God-Scientists-baffled-footage-primates-throwing-rocks-building-shrines-sacred-tree-no-reason.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link
>>
maybe they start evolving or is some type of landmark.
>>
maybe they're trying to scare bugs out or fill the hollow with rocks to bring up water?
>>
They couldn't get a better photo? Why are they projecting onto chimps. Maybe they consider that tree home and they're bringing their favorite tools home.

Whatever the reason and no matter how smart they are, let us take this time to not forget that chimps are number 1 assholes.
>>
I think they found a blunt and smoked a little
>>
>>17430357
>let us take this time to not forget that chimps are number 1 assholes.

Not wholly inconsistent with religion.
>>
what if they are slowly evolving more intellect?
>>
>>17430341
Why is anything that can't be explained immediately religious/ritual behaviour?

Found some building that doesn't fit into the picture? Must be a temple!
Found some pot that doesn't fit into the picture?
Must be a sacred urn!
Found some gigantic pyramids? Must be a tomb.
>>
File: monolith_.jpg (36KB, 432x224px) Image search: [Google]
monolith_.jpg
36KB, 432x224px
>>17430376
>what if they are slowly evolving more intellect?

Barring the sudden occurrence of a monolith :) evolution DOES move at a snail's pace, so that is possible.
>>
>>17430390
Next thing they'll be asking to use our phones and a cigarette and two dollars for the bus.
>>
>>17430374
Careful with that superior intellect of yours edgelord.
>>
when we all die like species they'll arise from ignorance and they'll empower of the world and they wondered if there was an ancient civilization that could died due to their avarice and killed themselves.
>>
>>17430341
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredth_monkey_effect&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwipitvgwKfLAhXryIMKHZqbCR8QFggLMAA&usg=AFQjCNHqhh_HwojTadyjJjubdU7dd3aCTg
>>
>>17430382
Damn mankeys gunna start trying to communicate with a language similar to prehumans that we can then easily learn to speak back to them
>>
File: business-chimp.jpg (52KB, 329x500px) Image search: [Google]
business-chimp.jpg
52KB, 329x500px
>>17430454

Interesting link, thanks for the share
>>
>>17430341
Very interesting!
>>
>>17430341
Who said Africans can't build shit?
>>
File: image.jpg (525KB, 747x571px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
525KB, 747x571px
>>17430369
>mocking stoned ape theory
>>
>>17430540
Top fucking kek.

I owe you an internet, sir.
>>
It looks like a harmless group of esteemed Africans partaking in a friendly game of basketball.
>inb4 this comment gets removed as well
>>
its a bit of a stretch to ascribe a notion of 'higher being' worship to this

its possible that it could be a sort of primitive shrine (assuming they have the capacity for such a concept) but it would almost certainly be something relating to a deceased alpha male family/troop? member (maybe it died there or spent most of its time chilling there) and not something transcendent

incidentally, what DO chimps do with their dead? do they just dump them somewhere out of the way like ancient humans would have
>>
File: 1-DSC_7376 better.jpg (52KB, 505x336px) Image search: [Google]
1-DSC_7376 better.jpg
52KB, 505x336px
>>17430341
What's the novelty here? Chimps usually do build shrines.
>>
>>17430683
>>17430590
Ebin
>>
>>17430540
My sides
>>
Racism aside? I know you want to make nigger jokes and all but the main reason for the primate's behaviour comes down not of worship, but rather of an event.

Basically, what I am saying is that the tree is a representation of a "happening". A past action, that greatly influenced and branded the apes to the point of orally transmitting and repeating the message.

A beaten foe? A fallen comrade?
A fallen chimp whose might saved his group from a predator?
A remembrance of a moment which makes them angry? Of a mourning? Or anger?

It's not worship. Not yet. It's sacralization of a moment.

Then again. I'm just an archaeologist. An Anthropologist would be far suited to the task.
But he's currently studying primates at Harlem.
>>
>>17430540
Kek
>>
If the only argument for it being religion is that we share 98% f our dna with them I call bullshit.
Also this could be anything have you ever seen a gorilla going mad it always seems to come out of nowhere but other gorillas always pick it up somehow.
Humans suck dick at reading aninals that weren't specifically bred to be understood by us.
This might as well be chimps releasing anger on a single tree because they all agreed to not harm the environment any further and keep their outbursts to that one tree and hence all chinps honour it as well it was a socio political solutation to chimp on tree violence that had to be stopped and now chimps are paying their respects to the tree and others are actually using it.
>>
File: mysides.gif (2MB, 615x413px) Image search: [Google]
mysides.gif
2MB, 615x413px
>>17430683
>>
>>17430424
calm your ego down, it's called a joke. no one is threatening you anon!
>>
>>17430835
wait.. are you implying there's only one anthropologist?! Spoopy!
>>
>>17431225
>guys its not religion thats bullshit and too complicated
>its more likely to be a complex socio-political pact between chimp politicians to preserve their environment that went wrong with one side breaking the accord.

anon, for fucks sake think before you type.
>>
File: d6c.jpg (14KB, 293x263px) Image search: [Google]
d6c.jpg
14KB, 293x263px
Not to shit all over this fun theory, but there's an enormous flaw here.

It has been stated in several of these articles that similar rock stacking behavior has been exhibited by the native inhabitants of west africa. (i.e. modern humans alive right now). We already know that higher primates are more than capable of mimicking human behavior for any number of reasons.

If they want to leap to the conclusion that these chimps are stacking rocks "because chimp god" theyd better find some chimps doing it in a place where they couldnt have observed the behavior in their human neighbors.

Until then, sadly, Occam's razor tears this up.
>>
File: 140797_v1.jpg (77KB, 594x365px) Image search: [Google]
140797_v1.jpg
77KB, 594x365px
>>17430379
>Why is anything that can't be explained immediately religious/ritual behaviour?
Because that was pretty common in the past, and people make rituals or complicated artefacts and buildings for a limited number of reasons.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.