[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stories from Liberia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: liberia01.png (2MB, 1898x939px) Image search: [Google]
liberia01.png
2MB, 1898x939px
Hello /x/. A week ago I saw a thread about Zangbetos, honestly I had no Idea what they were. But it sparked an idea to create a thread about my family and their time in Liberia. I recently discovered that we had some really old films from that time, and if someone can help me put the videos up on YT or make some gifs, I would be very very glad.

I can begin with some background story. My family was put into Liberia for breaking and transport Ore to Europe. My granddad was put up as a manager for transportation in Bukannan, close to Monrovia. This was also before the first civil war obviously.

Pic related, a ritual being performed by some tribes medicineman.
>>
Is the cocaine/gunpowder thing really a thing? Or was it just made up for Lord of War?
>>
File: liberia02.png (2MB, 1911x938px) Image search: [Google]
liberia02.png
2MB, 1911x938px
>>17370113

I will try to greentext the stories, but some of them might not work well with that type of telling. Also, a lot of the tribes have their own culture and rituals. The country itself was ( and probably is ) very very weird.
Also, these are second hand stories from my dad, brother and mom. Since I wasn't born.

My familys first encounter with the medicine men was really weird, perhaps not paranormal.
They decided to visit a local tribe to show respect - since most of their neighbours was from that tribe. They were guided to the place where the ritual would take place by one of the neighbours. The place was not far away from their house, and you could hear the rhytm from the drums pretty far away.
The ritual is mostly very cheerful, almost like a party of some sort, with alot of drums and people are dancing e.t.c.
They attended the ritual and everyone was really friendly. But everything seemed pretty off they said ( of course memories can be changed ) and while the people being friendly, the music seemed to change to the more darker side. My brother being very young was eager to leave the place. The medicine man was going back and forth and shaking, and decided to go up front against my brother.
>>
File: liberia03.png (2MB, 1909x931px) Image search: [Google]
liberia03.png
2MB, 1909x931px
>>17370143
Haha man, I have no idea. This was as I said before the civil war.

>>17370159

My brother began to cry more and was really frightened by the man obviously. My family was really eager to leave, and decided to go away or holding distance to the man. The guide came up and said that they couldn't leave, they can't remember what more he said. But my mom and dad was eager to leave for the sake of my brother.
The guide said that it was disrespectful, so my dad decided to stay - pic related.
My mom and my brother walked to the path they walked on before. She said, that as soon they found the path and started to walk on it - the music stop, it was almost like walking into a wall of no-fucking-sound type of thing.
>>
>>17370113
What kind of film? 8mm?
>>
>>17370199
Might be! I managed to get it on a dvd-r though, its just that I have no idea how to turn The film from vlc to gif.
>>
>>17370209
Do you use VLC media player? If not, it's free.

1- First of all

You need to have/download the last version of the VLC player. Then, open your dvd with VLC player. (Right click - Open with - VLC player) or open it directly in the VLC player (Files - Open folder or open disk).

2- Screen caps preferences

Now that your dvd is playing, choose the moment that you want to gif (or you can do it right after this part. If you want to put all your screencaps in the same folder forever, you will not have to make this part ever again.). So now, go click on TOOLS-Preferences. Now a preferences window should have pop in your face. Look at the sidebar and you should see an orange cone named ”video”. Click on it, it will bring you to the screen caps preferences. Now scrolldown and look for the ”VIDEO SNAPSHOTS” and choose the directory you want to put your screen caps in (you can make a new folder if you want to). And you can change the name of your screen caps and the format here too but this is optional.CLICK SAVE!

3- Make it slow

To make your gif look flawless, you need to slow down the dvd a little. To make that, you just have to click on PLAYBACK and you’ll find the speed option.

4- Let’s have fun

Now it’s time to make caps and let me tell you, SHIFT + S is now your best friend. Just press theses two buttons as long as you want to cap the scene that you want to gif.
>>
>>17370175
Oh well, keep up the cool stories, man.
>>
File: liberia04.png (2MB, 1211x928px) Image search: [Google]
liberia04.png
2MB, 1211x928px
>>17370175
They managed to get back to their house, greeted their "housekeeper" and everything was alright. A little bit later and they eventually went to sleep. This is where it get's weird. My brother was frightened that night, so he decided to sleep in their bed.
Most of the houses ( IF you had money of course ) was built on poles because of snakes.
Sometime in the night, they woke up to the drum sounds from earlier that day. They also heard someone knocking on the poles to the rythm of the drums. My mom and dad walked out quickly from their bedroom and onto the terrace. Right under the terrace, they saw the same medicine man, running from under the terrace to the treeline back and forth, followed by white painted people - pic relate. They ran for the treeline, but when they were just in front of my parents, they just stared at them. And just simply vanished, no sound of the drums or people at all. They still don't know if they both dreamed or what it was, but they talked to the housekeeper in the morning. He just said that some people practice "negative voodoo", and that my parents should seek up another tribe for protection or something like that.

I've got more stories, some of my granddad and the railway he worked on. Another about the medicine men, and some other shit. I don't know which ones you would like to hear - I ain't got too much time on my hands to write them all right now.
>>
>>17370220
Thanks man! Is there any other way than screencap it? Like I could perhaps copy some length of the film and make it to a .gif?
>>
>>17370239
this might work, haven't tried it tho

http://ezgif.com/video-to-gif
>>
File: 1455254056296.jpg (29KB, 429x576px) Image search: [Google]
1455254056296.jpg
29KB, 429x576px
>>17370113
Zangbetos are my new favorite spooky thing
>>
>>17370143
Yes it is. They call it brown brown.
>>
>>17370232
Moar, moar
>>
Alright I can tell you about my brothers experience. Btw, these pics are OC from the movie - don't know if it's the same ritual as the first story though. Will also look into the gifmaking tomorrow, or if I can upload some of it on youtube. The rituals are pretty uncanny valley.

My brother, after his experience in Liberia became super interested in the paranormal. He's now into some book about his experiences there, but I haven't found out which book and he won't tell me. But he told me this;

After that evening and night, he became super horrified of the medicine men. He developed almost like a fobia for it.

>Be my brother in Liberia
>Affraid of everything spiritual
>Woke up night after night screaming because night terrors of the previous experiences
>The doctors tell them it's fine
>Parents are obviously tired because they can't sleep at night due to his screaming
>Decide to try another tribe
The one which the housekeeper recommended
>Meet the other tribe and bring translator
>The medicine man told my parents that my brother should come alone
They obligated and said no way.
>Medicine man says fine, meet me the next day in the evening

They decided to go there with the translator, and try to fix things up. The medicine man ( MM ) told them, that he would put himself into some sort of state of mind. Since he had been followed by spirits of something ( I can't really remember ).
The only thing which are lighting up the place is a bonfire, and MMs assistance is ready to bring the drum back.
>He starts to talk random gibberish
>The drums starts to play
>MM starts to dance or something
>My brother is almost passing out ( don't know why )
>The drums goes up and down in rhytm
>So does the MM
>Eventually they go up up up high
>MM starts screaming and dancing even more intense
>A sound breaks out from the jungle behind them
>Someone in the jungle starts screaming
>MM and assistance doesn't give a fuck
>Keeps on playing
>>
>>17371056
>My family is seriously worried of animals at that point
>Ask the translator what to do
>Just wait and see
>Out of the jungle comes my fucking brother
>He's still at the campfire
>What the fuck
>The assistance is drumming so fucking hard at that point
>My parents doesn't know where to watch
>Tries to wake my brother up
>Tries to watch my second brother in the front of the jungle
>They don't know what to do
>They begin to pray
>They don't know why
>Suddenly the MM drops to the floor
>The drums stop

My brother woke up after a while. And the medicine man told them something about the negative voodoo spirits in the jungle, and to never take some of objects from the jungle and place it in their home.
Translator just seemed to chill, he said he also saw my "twin brother", but that it was all gone now.
>>
I know that they warn not to take animal remains i.e bones or skin from certain parts of the jungle-only witch doctors and medicine men can.
>>
What about the story of your dad and the railroad, if you have time?
>>
>>17371078
Daaaamn nigga that's some serious jinn magic right there
>>
>>17373564
/x/ isn't /b/, threads here don't need to be bumped constantly. Cool your jets.
>>
>>17370199
At a rough guess, yes. Color scheme seems to indicate this, as well as the truck in the background. Someone seems to have done a decent job (judging from the pics already posted) converting it to a interlaced format.
>>
OP here. I've tried to make some gifs but they failed unfortunately, will try to do watch some proper how to tutorials today I think. Will post another story in a minute.
>>
File: liberiagif.gif (981KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
liberiagif.gif
981KB, 200x200px
>>17374748

Here's that gif, as I said. I'm not techsavvy, but I will try to look into it more.
>>
>>17374762
One of the more interesting threads in a good while! I'll be lurking. If any of the films you have happen to show caparizoned horses (or indeed horses with native gear on, of whatever kind, ceremonial or not), I'd be terribly interested in seeing clips if at all possible. Not very /x/, I know, but can't hurt to ask I suppose. I'll be lurking for the /x/'y content anyways.
>>
File: liberiagif2.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
liberiagif2.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>17374748
>>17374762

Alright, here is another story. This might not be paranormal at all. It all happened to my grandfather. He inspected the railways and communication lines between the places where they mined for ore, and the trainyard in Buchanan. As I said before, Liberia is really weird and everyone is superstitious.

One day he was supposed to travel to the town where they mined the ore, in a town called Lamco. Mind you, this is a new infrastructure for Liberia too. He jumped on the freighttrain for a ride to Lamco, always keeping contact with Buchanan e.t.c.

He goes down to Lamco with a assistant of his, and they arrive at the mine. He notices that no one is working, everyone just keep staring at the jungle behind the mines. Naturally his assistant want's to prove himself as a good second hand for my granddad, and decided to start yelling at them to work or to get fired. They doesn't respond at all, and just keep checking out the jungle.
Of course my grandfather wonder what's going on. He goes to them to check it out, and this is where something strange happened.
He said that there were 5 men standing there smiling and talking some gibberish, but he said that it was almost like he got hypnotized by the way they talked. He said that they just stood there, peeking out from a tree with their faces in a smile and just talked and talked and talked. He remembered their eyes, as they were not pure black, but rather weird. He said that he still can't point exactly what it was, but something with their eyes and smile seemed to be off. He said; Like if you would met a Liberian in December in the mountains at the borderland to Norway or Finland.
>>
>>17374854
He said that he lost track of time at the moment and it was suddenly abrupted by his second hand who began to yell some shit. Everyone turned to my grandfather and asked what was going on, that they had worked all day - and that there was no meaning for him to come that day.

He said that it was like a theater play, but he couldn't understand why he was so caged about their voices. He was a chainsmoker and for almost, at least he said, it occurred during 2-3 hours and he didn't felt the need to smoke a cigarette.

Will get another story from him when I come home from work.
>>
>>17374762
Damn man thats some spooky shit
>>
>>17374854
Lurkin
>>
Weird and interesting stories! Would love to hear more if you have
>>
This is great, anon. Please continue.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.