[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any of you ever read books? lol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

File: 1438218982975.jpg (87KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1438218982975.jpg
87KB, 1280x720px
Just wondering if any /x/ anons actually read about the subjects they shit post about or if they get 100% of their information from youtube videos.
>>
Books? What are those?
>>
I want books with the science-fiction/dark humor of the fallout series
>>
I have been a student of philosophy for seven years. Most of the times the level of discourse here is so low, I don't even bother trying.
>>
File: 1374927448117.jpg (44KB, 320x434px)
1374927448117.jpg
44KB, 320x434px
>>17368912
Same, I even contributed on this board. But stopped after a while (A blind, deaf and stupid man, cannot be told to listen), now I only lurk for the most part and see if anyone posts anything interesting. It's been so far two weeks and nothing actually good.

When it is good, super, super rare and they don't even last as long as some of these other threads.
>>
>>17368855
I've read a little bit. Book of Law and Book of Thoth, The Lesser Key of Solomon, Golden Bough, John Dee's Diary and Mathematical Preface to Geometry of Euclid, Hamilton's mythology, The Way of the Shaman, The Principia Discordia and I kinda skimmed through The Satanic Bible.
>>
>>17368945
Did you buy these? Or was in online/pdf?
>>
I read a lot of books, but very rarley do they have any value. I've read the communist manifesto, Capital vol 1, Quotes of Mao Zedong, The Origin of the Family, and Private Property and the State are the only intellectual books I've read. I do read a lot of fiction though like a lot of lovecraft, Frankenstein, the hitchhikers series, and garbage scifi books like warhammer novels.
>>
>>17368945
It depends. I have hard copies of Book of Thoth, Lesser Key of Solomon, Hamilton's Mythology, The Way of the Shaman and the Golden Bough. Both the John Dee books were free on the ipad bookstore so it should be noted that I read "free online publications" of those works which almost certainly means something's been lost in translation. The rest I read online, although I've compared the online PD to a print version and it looks pretty identical!
>>
>>17368912
So how's working at walmart treating ya?
>>
>>17369062
Where did you buy them from? How'd dyou trust they're credible?
>>
>>17369071
There's a fuckton of scholarship on esoterica as presented in my library over in the occultism and magick thread.
>>
>>17369071
Some of them are in print. Way of the Shaman my mom got me as a present from Barnes and Nobel. I believe golden Bough, Book of Thoth and Hamilton's Mythology are all still in print. My Lesser Key of Solomon I snagged from a used bookstore I used to work at and is, I believe, the only especially difficult one to get ahold of.

I dunno how I approach the credibility question. For books in print like the Mythology or the Golden Bough, I pretty much just accept as given that they have remained largely true to their original first edition text. Neither are especially old or likely to drift, I think. The Lesser Key of Solomon I have no idea. My copy is a little over a century old; how well it conforms to earlier versions is entirely beyond my ability to determine. As I'm not going to be trying to summon any demons any time soon, I think I'm okay either way!
>>
File: 1455656162424.jpg (31KB, 550x798px) Image search: [Google]
1455656162424.jpg
31KB, 550x798px
>>17369074
Your library? Cheers lah
>>
File: 1455427122575.png (730KB, 768x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1455427122575.png
730KB, 768x1280px
>>17369083
Right on, cheers fella
>>
File: SHAME.gif (2MB, 270x279px)
SHAME.gif
2MB, 270x279px
>>17368855
> /x/
> information

Pick one.
>>
I read alot of philosophy, if your looking for interesting reads then I would recommend anything in the God series by Mike Hockney (though I doubt the authors claim to being a shadow wrighter for the illuminati the material in the books are enlightening.)
>>
I've read all of David Ickes books. There pretty good I pirated them though.
>>
>>17369059

So what do you think about capitalism?
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 296x355px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 296x355px
>>17368855
I read a lot of fantasy books, which helps in making up or completely ripping off monsters, magic systems, and other fun stuff then acting as though they're real. I still see some anons perpetrating old rumours and bullshit I made up awhile ago, I wonder if they believe it or just spread it for giggles.
>>
>>17368880

Still waiting for any recommendations
>>
File: 1421548864414.jpg (100KB, 496x700px) Image search: [Google]
1421548864414.jpg
100KB, 496x700px
This one's my favorite.
>>
Im only a lurker, but I read a great deal on lucid dreaming. Mostly books by Stephen Leberg but I also enjoyed Daniel Love's 'Are You Dreaming'. I own two books on Masonic symbolism from the 30's, but do admit I read a bunch of content from the internet. Google Books is also the shit if you're broke.
>>
File: House_on_the_Borderland.jpg (117KB, 333x509px) Image search: [Google]
House_on_the_Borderland.jpg
117KB, 333x509px
Is this a subtle-/x/ book thread or what?

Either way, hope you're having fun starting it that way.
>>
>>17368880
I know some good Brian Keene novels about such things.
The Rising - Every dead person in the world becomes possessed by a demon after a rift between dimensions was opened. Every person who dies becomes one of these. Humanity is on the literal knife edge of extinction, and exists now hiding in attics and a handful of military bases.
Urban Gothic - A good Hills Have Eyes/Haunted House crossover, except it's at a dumpy old house in a ghetto that has a massive, dug-out-of-the-bare-soil underground system of caves filled with literal monsters.
Darkness on the Edge of Town - The title says it. A man who saw the Coming of Darkness makes a giant rune around his town to protect it from living Darkness that has engulfed the world and possibly the universe. The people in the town increasingly turn on each other as the town dries up and starves, and some people even willingly go into the Darkness to end their suffering.

Anyway I'll probably get shit on for these recommendations but it's the best I can do for you anon.
>>
File: boy dog.jpg (33KB, 260x335px)
boy dog.jpg
33KB, 260x335px
>>17369147
A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison
>>
>>17369787
Also a surprisingly enjoyable post-apoc film!
>>
>>17368855

Sci-Fi and books about paranormal shit mostly.
Been working on Disclosure by Stephen M. Greer in between playing video games and listening to Mysterious Universe.
>>
never read anything /x/ related like David Icke level or the Goetia etc.
Isuppose the only thing I feel sort of /x/related that I completely enjoyed was the unabomber manifesto.

american psycho is the most disturbing thing ive ever encountered, in any form of media. i can't finish the second half anymore. it takes your mind to a place it shouldnt ever travel.

same with 2666... most depressing thing ive ever come across. couldnt wade through the 400 or whatever consecutive pages of women being murdered in the middle of the novel. not to mention just the author's overall bleak view of reality.
>>
Did you read Dune, OP?
'Cause do that.

I also really liked the Hainish Cycle books by Ursula K LeGuin

rn I'm into the Illuminatus books by Robert Anton Wilson, which are probably the best meme of the late twentieth century.

Dipped a toe in a bunch of OTO & A.`.A.`. Texts over the years & recently, the dragon book of essex, there's a lot of stuff in the /omg/ mega link like a lot, like you will not run out of esoteric lit ever.
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 366x402px)
image.jpg
39KB, 366x402px
>>17369062

Faggot. Why don't you try reading something worthwhile instead of all that edgy fedora bullshit? I'd bet you haven't gotten past the first 12 pages of any of that.

Try Tolstoy. Or Patrick O'Brien. Or Norman Davies.
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 634x427px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 634x427px
>>17369062

>he thinks this is going to impress anyone

>he's a tripfag
>>
>>17369918
Since when is Frasier or Hamilton, "edgy fedora bullshit."? In addition, no person with even half a working brain would assume that just because I'd read those things, I hadn't also read other things.

You're too overeager to pick pointless fights with strangers online. It's an extremely uncharismatic affectation.
>>
>>17368855
I just read Bugles and a Tiger: My Life in the Gurkhas

Whilst parts were interesting, I feel it could have been summarised in about 15 pages.
>>
File: you.jpg (19KB, 385x383px)
you.jpg
19KB, 385x383px
>>17369922
>>
>>17368855
Nice double dub

Anyone online with good sci-fi recommendations?
>>
Read a bunch of badass books of Buddhism, Vedanta, Kashmir Shaivism.
>>
>>17369769
Thanks anon
>>
>>17370243
Foundation series Isaac Asimov
Neuromancer William Gibson
Ubik pkd
>>
>>17370365
Thanks,

I read all the lore from the foundation series, but Asimov's prose style bored me to tears when i tried to read them (at fifteen, granted) I liked necromancer & Ubik sounds dope
:)
>>
>>17370365
Neuromancer is a master piece. Actually, The Sprawl series by William Gibson is the perfect cyberpunk series. Would highly recommend. Haven't read his other books, though
>>
>>17370297

I read this post like

Read a bunch of badass books of Buddhism, Val, Kilmer Shaivism.

Sorry haha Sounds like some cool spiritual books
>>
Yes but mostly lurk around shit post here and there.
>>
>>17368860
Like videos but less fun.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.