[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you like Welcome To Night Vale?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

File: Welcome-Night-Vale.jpg (120KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Welcome-Night-Vale.jpg
120KB, 1400x1400px
Do you like Welcome To Night Vale?
>>
>>17360708
No, not realistic enough. It would be better were it to have unspooky sections. Also, that voice.
>>
>>17360749
I'm the opposite. I hate the story, love the voice acting.
>>
>>17360708
I love it, but it's easy to get burned out. I tend to listen to four or five episodes then give it a break for a few weeks.

I've been listening to some other fictional horror themed podcasts and I currently have two I think some /x/-philes might enjoy.

The first is called Limetown, which is about a fictional documentary piece being run on an event in which a company/science research town called Limetown went nuts and then had every person in the town mysteriously vanish without any trace. As the podcast continues, the reporter gets sucked into the mystery and conspiracy.

The other is The Black Tapes which is definitely on the more amateurish side, but also more fun, ostensibly about another running series documentary about the paranormal where the host teams up with a professional skeptic to review over the cases he's never solved.
>>
>>17360769
Thanks for the recommendations. I used to listen to Night Vale whenever I worked out but now I'm completely caught up. Lime town seems interesting.
>>
>>17360775
Listen to Serial.
>>
>>17360769
Limetown sounds good. Thanks.
>>
>>17360985
I've heard that Serial is pretty good, too. Kind of competition for Limetown. It's on my list!
>>
>>17361085
Serial has a bigger budget and a bigger fan base. I like Lime Town but I find the voice acting to be a little off and the editing in wonky in some parts. Serial is just a more rounded podcast. I enjoy both though.
>>
>>17361121
Definitely agree with Limetown. Some of the sound editing in particular, like when you can barely even hear what an interviewee is saying, can be irritating.
>>
I really enjoyed earlier episodes. Later episodes feel empty though. I feel like they got popular, felt the pressure to keep making more and more, ran out of ideas, and it started getting kind of lame.

I'm so fucking sick of the announcer/scientist story line.
>>
>>17361162
The Cecil/Carlos storyline is the only reason a lot of people listen.
>>
I cannot bring myself to listen to fiction podcasts. So god damn cringy 99% of the time.
>>
>>17360708
The first few episodes are awesome
>>
>>17361162
that's how I feel about it
it use to have some really good stories
now they don't have as much depth and that certain creepy humor edge anymore
>>
>>17360708

I love Welcome To Nightvale, but I admit, I haven't listened in probably a year.

I probably should get caught up on it.
>>
>>17360985

What is Serial's plot?

I'm looking for something new to listen to while I knit.
>>
>>17361509
Don't catch up. It's awful nowadays. Stay in the past when it was good.
>>
>>17360708

It was okay for a while. Got old around the time Cecil started being explicitly gay (inb4 the first episode). Not that I have anything against that, that's just where things started getting stale.
>>
>>17361520

Okay, any suggestion of what episode to stop at?
>>
>>17361537
50ish?
>>
>>17361537

Not him, but my personal opinion is:

1-13: Gold. Stop here if you want to be left with a great impression of the podcast, though you'll probably be left wanting more.

14-~24: Good. Not as good as the early material and the charm of the town's mundane insanity starts to run a bit thin, but you won't be disappointed if you wanted more.

25-45: Quality rapidly beginning to degrade and the premise is becoming outright old. A lot of the plots simply aren't interesting and the jokes rapidly begin to sound overly familiar. Many of the best old mysteries like the house that doesn't exist and the Dog Park are demystified by extremely clumsy handling. I stop at 45 because that's where I personally stopped, though I can only assume it goes even further downhill from there. If you're okay with your initial impression of a show being let down by later material, then go until you can go no longer

82: I want to click it, but I'm too afraid.
>>
>>17361517
I haven't listened to it but from what I understand it's like "how to make a murderer" but in podcast form.
>>
>>17360708
YES so much. I need to listen to the most recent episodes if they're not still on hiatus.
>>
I like it a lot but yeah a lot of the more recent episodes don't have as much spooky sometimes existential horror that was in the earlier episodes. Lately they seem to have been more one off episodes rather than having to do with any real arc. All the touring probably made it harder to write, I would think. Still haven't read/listened to the book yet but I would think that would be a bit more serious.
>>
File: radio.jpg (312KB, 575x572px) Image search: [Google]
radio.jpg
312KB, 575x572px
>>17360708
The book is pretty excellent.
>>
>>17360760
Same
>>
I recommend the Thrilling Adventure Hour's Beyond Belief. Then again, I really like the Thin Man movies.
>>
>>17360708
Binged it for a good while but I fell off the wagon these last few months. Last episode I remember was the compilation episode with all the different narrators. I can't fucking remember the episode title though. The summer something something?
>>
>>17364798
Just found it "The September Monologues" Steve Carlsberg has an excellent section in it.
>>
They feature Hella.

That's pretty cool.

Other than that, >>17360749 is accurate. I wish someone made something like WTNV but more realistic with various paranormal shit sprinkled in.
>>
>>17361180
Those people are the problem.
>>
>>17365217
Fandoms always ruin things. Especialy the ones that are mostly Tumblerinas.
>>
>>17361520
old oak doors part b
>>
>>17361537
56-77 are actually pretty good

82 was a bore, spoiler the city council and station management get romantic
>>
>>17362608
book was pretty good. though the audio might put you to sleep. it revolves around the man in the tan jacket
>>
Why not listen to the No Sleep Podcast?
>>
The original aesthetic is so well done. The general idea is fascinating and Weather is such a fantastic concept.

However it's execution is lackluster and once it developed its fandom, it just went downhill from there.
>>
>>17365732
I've been thinking about checking that out, is it good?
>>
>>17366978

Yes. But it's really just a number of spooky stories. They're mostly pretty good, sometimes excellent, rarely shit, and always have a lot of heart put into their mixing and voice acting.

The 6th season is almost done. Each episode is an hour long, but if you pay 25 dollars you get access to the whole 2 and a half hours every week. It's a serious pay wall but as far as I can tell the free stuff is just as great.

No lore or continuity either so you don't have to catch up from the beginning.
>>
>>17364366
>that picture
Fucking disgusting
>>
File: 58.jpg (826KB, 1924x1032px) Image search: [Google]
58.jpg
826KB, 1924x1032px
>>17361537
I made it to episode 58

>>17361517
The first season is going over an old murder case. It's decent, but honestly I think the guy did it, to me the only inconsistencies are due to his friend downplaying his involvement.

It also really overplays the idea that they only went after him because he is muslim.

I only listened to the first episode of the current season, it is about a soldier who abandoned his post in afghanistan, and was taken prisoner by the taliban. Im more interested in murder shit

>>17365732
>>17368584
I like it, as far as reading "spooky" stories, it's alot better than most other shows. Around here though, it here has 2 strikes against it.
It is literally a reddit podcast.
The payment model.
>>
Gets old pretty quick, I think I made it to 30 episodes before I tapped out.

Last Podcast on the Left is the best /x/ podcast around.
>>
>>17368698

I beg to differ.

https://soundcloud.com/the_x_radio_show/the-x-radio-show-episode-1-love-is-in-the-air
>>
>>17368698
More like the best reddit podcast around
>>
>>17368718

In what way?
>>
>>17368713

>another scary story podcast

yawn
>>
>>17368740

>>17356707
>>
>>17368725
It's popular and people don't like that
>>
I forced myself through one episode, hated it. Decided not to judge harshly on the first one and give it another try. Still hate it. Tumblr goes spooky.
>>
they've only done one episode, but this seems promising -

>>17356707
>>
Is there a version that has the weather section removed? The music is uniformly terrible, and completely removes me from any immersion whatsoever.
>>
>>17370997
>implying Hella is shit

Other than that I'm indifferent.
>>
>>17361180
>>17365217
>>17365233

This is bound to happen when you hamfist homosex into something for no reason other than to just have homosex.
>>
>>17371436
Jesus do we need to make a "safe space" for you people or something? I don't imagine they suspected the relationship would leave so many listeners feeling so...confused.
>>
>>17371014

>liking hella

Develop a critical faculty, you fucking waste. So embarrassing.
>>
>>17371465

Forcing diversity for diversty's sake is always dumb and feels forced and holow 100% of the time. I wouldn't mind it if it was done well and made sense and fit into the narrative, but it has no place in Night Vale and I don't know why they chose to put it in there. When a eterosexual romanced is forced, everyone says "ohmygod that was soooo cheesy and forced and dumb why would they that11!!?1", but when its LGBTQWERTYUIOP+ all we here is "Diversity!! yay!! Soooo cute and goo!11 Whoever speaks against this is a monster!!11"

There, I responded to your bait. Happy?
>>
>>17371664
Didn't feel forced to me at all. And it did fit well and made sense in the narrative. Hell, it was part of the narrative from literally the first show.

So what I'm getting is that you feel the cultural "norm" is and should heterosexuality and you feel like any time anything else is depicted it's "forced".

I mean, look at your bizarre claim about how people react to "forced" heterosexual romances. What? When have you EVER seen this scenario play out?

Homosexuality makes you uncomfortable. Just come clean about it.
>>
Helll is already a mess, I prefer heaven. So fuck You little troll. Your face stinks BTW. Have You never though the reason your lips are thick? Exactly: For sucking daddy. You piece of shit. I already know shit like You, that's the reason I make clear for You and you r shitty friends that I don't have any feeling but hate over shit like You.
>>
File: my_gosh_robert_downey_jr.gif (973KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
my_gosh_robert_downey_jr.gif
973KB, 500x240px
>>17371719
>>
I've been looking for new paranormal podcasts. Thanks /x/.
>>
I thought it was alright. Nothing special.

Then I read something where the creator said he resents being called "Lovecraftian" because lovecraft was a bigoted monster.

So I promptly dropped any care I had for it. You can dislike his politics all you want, but don't pretend he isn't your biggest influence.

I'm getting sick of the recent trend in the sci fi community of calling out Lovecraft's biases.
>>
Used to really love it, listened religiously for ages and even saw a live show, but it's dragged on for too long. It was fantastic and original at first, but eventually it reached the point where pure originality of idea wasn't going to carry it and they needed to either end it (and lose their money) or properly develop a central story (and lose the sense of mystery that gave the whole thing its charm). Of course, they chose to not only develop it but to develop it into the most horrible fanservicey trainwreck they could to keep getting that sweet tumblr money. IMO it should have ended after episode 25, that wrapped things up very nicely and generally marked a major shift in quality. I did like a few later episodes but on the whole the story with Strexcorp was pretty bad, and Cecil and Carlos's relationship was cute at first but took far too large a role. Stopped listening in the late 40s I think, can't believe they're over 80 now. The early episodes really are fantastic though, if you haven't already go listen to the first 25 ASAP.
>>
>>17371875
This post sums it up very well.
>>17371744
>he resents being called "Lovecraftian" because lovecraft was a bigoted monster.
That pisses me off.
>>
>>17371875

This. There's nothing wrong with being influenced by one of the greatest horror writers of all time, regardless of his politics.
>>
>>17372935

Sorry, meant >>17371744
>>
>>17371683

Just because you don't think it was forced doesn't mean it was. So what if I feel uncomfortable with it? Unnatural things make me feel uncomfortable. See >>17371875. They're saying what I'm saying.
>>
>>17372948
Sorry, Meant For >>17371683
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.