[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragons- general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1327560108669.jpg (627KB, 982x1309px) Image search: [Google]
1327560108669.jpg
627KB, 982x1309px
We get all kinds of cryptid threads on /x/, aliums, fae, gods, how come I never see threads about dragons?

Dragons, drakes, wyrms, waverns, winged serpents, and their watery equivalents, they exist in the mythos of just about every culture on the planet. More prevalent than pyramids, or ancient aliens so why do they get so little attention?

Are they to fantastical? Boogey men for lands berift of natural predators who prey on humans so stories were created of monsters who could fly out of the clouds and eat you, and burn a years worth of labor to the ground in an instant?

I don't expect any personal stories, but thoughts, theories, personal insight on dragons, their mythos, origins, cryptozoological makeup, whatever you got.
>>
>>17344112
Honestly they were probably just stories invented to explain what dinosaur bones were before modern science.
>>
>>17344153
This. I like dragons, but they're more fantasy than paranormal. Not sure where else would be a good thread for them, though. /co/? /lit/ if books or /tg/ if in games, maybe?
>>
>>17344112
Dragons are gone anon. Most people think they went extinct or never existed in the first place.
>>
>>17344165
/tg/ regularly has dragon threads.

Also there's an extremely cool mockumentary of finding a dragon carcass in the alps. It's called The Last Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FIDeOOL52Q
>>
File: 1327559355694.jpg (269KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1327559355694.jpg
269KB, 600x800px
>>17344153
I've seen heard griffins being based on visible fossils along the silk road and cyclops stories being a misunderstanding of elephant skulls

>>17344165
I'm a /x/phile at heart and my incoming personal belief has to do with gods and magic
>>
>>17344112
Dragons are dinosaurs and they still exist. The earth is less than 7000 years old.
>>
>>17344193
I suppose you could try to make up your own pasta about dragons and give it a spooky twist suited to this board.
>>
File: 1327558900844.jpg (79KB, 575x474px) Image search: [Google]
1327558900844.jpg
79KB, 575x474px
My theory is that before Babylon magic existed as a force of nature in the world, present in all living things. Eventually it was harnessed by sapient creatures and became a finite resource. Humans invested their magic in gods, starting with small gods, with a single function each. Basically spells, lighting a fire for example, but isolating the magic energy from the environment so only those who knew the prayer could make use of the magic.

As people mix and mingled common spells started getting grouped together, so that one prayer could result in multiple outcomes but with a larger of pool of magic to back them, shared between more people. At this point humanity fucks up and starts anthropomorphizeing the magic, giving it human qualities, essentially creating tulpa and making them into the first gods.

People continued lumping their half living spells together, categorizing and defining and eventually giving these small gods divine aspects. Simple example being the fire spell, so essential for cooking and heating a home, giving light in the dark became the epitome of home. You end up with a minor deity responsible for fire,home, and family.

Different pantheons begin to war as the magic drains from the world into competing tribes' gods until today where more then half the planet worships one aspect of an "all powerful" mono god; God, YHWH, or Allah. With so many people drawing on a single pool of magic the spells that call be pulled from it with prayer are limited as the power is stretched so thin, but there remain those everyday miracles, fate and convince showing their hands.

The typical incarnation of a dragon is a giant, flying, armor plated, reptile, occasionally with fire breath. Size and armor both spit in the face of physics and aerodynamics for a flying creature without a metric shit-ton of magic. Unlike humanity's communal magic dragons were self contained powerhouses which ultimately limited their numbers as sure as any apex predator.
>>
>>17344283
Tales of knights hunting down dragons, could be worked in to claim all that magic for the kinghts' deity. Driving the last of them to extinction.
>>
>>17344283
I take it you're a fan of Terry Pratchett or perhaps Neil Gaiman?
>>
>>17344283

man.. how old is /x/ anyway?
>>
>>17344283
I like you. You should write a novel or a comic book. Not I'm not a rich sponsor.
>>
>>17344112
Why not expect personal stories? I have one, but it isn't that exciting.
>>
>>17346181
I have seen a greentext here with a personal encounter with a dragon. It was a fucking mountin/inawoods region and it involved an angry farmer with a shotgun, and the post stated that the dragon was more like Lovecraft than Tolkien.
>>
>>17346190
My story unfortunately is not as exciting as that sounds.

I was simply watching the sky while riding in the back of a car in a simi-urban area. I saw a large green object with flapping wings. This object was flying higher than the flightline and was still visibly large.
>>
>>17346246
I want to believe!
Because dragons are metal as fuck
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.