[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buddhist Hell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: buddhisthell.jpg (35KB, 350x235px) Image search: [Google]
buddhisthell.jpg
35KB, 350x235px
Are the different hells in buddhism only meant symbolicily or are they supposed to be real places for people with bad karma ?
I am on my way to buddhism und scared shitless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO8tg1pD-3I
just look at this, how am I supposed to life in the here and now if something like that could happen to me ?
>>
>>17333003
From what I know, from the wheel of life, the hellian realm was a place symbolically of people who just have it shitty in life. Kinda like the starving kids in Africa.
>>
>>17333003
>how am I supposed to live in the here and now if something like that could happen to me?
Well you could start by not accumulating the all expense paid ticket to end up there after you check out. Not really that complicated.
>>
If the mind is generating this hell hole of a reality that we're in. What makes you think it can't generate something even more hellish?
>>
what is your wrongdoing? the opposite emotion is your hell.
>>
"Bad" karma simply results in rebirth.
>>
>>17333003

Change religion and embrace Judaism. No hell in here, just metempsychosis.
>>
You create your own purgatory based upon your life here.
>>
all religious stories are metaphors. infact the story of your own life is a metaphor, but thats probably a bit too much for you to grasp.
>>
Never join a club with torture Chambers, unless you are a masochist!
>>
>>17333658
What if all you ever did in your life was enjoy yourself?
>>
>>17333003
Don't worry, "hell" is a highly symbolical term.

You see, you incarnated on earth for different reasons; maybe you have something to learn, or something to do, or just want to experience human reality - probably a mix of all three. But basically, the incarnation is a process of the divine you descending upon earth, undergoing spiritual transmutation, and then going back stronger than before.

This is also Jesus symbolizes - he is God, who descended on earth in a humble act, got completly destroyed in a process of spiritual transformation/transmutation, and then got reborn stronger than ever, as a glorious king, and ascended back to heaven. No wonder he is also a solar deity, because fire purifies. This is what being reborn in Christ actually means. Having your sins forgiven, means to go through a process of spiritual refinement purification where all your spiritual, emotional, mental, physical issues will be brought up, where all the bullshit, all the darkness inside you, all the negativity will be brought up. Ofcourse its a painful process, because all this bullshit within you does not disappear . it needs to surface first, you will face it, and it will "destroy" the old you in the same way it destroyed Christ on the cross (not literal death, symbolically) - just so that you can get reborn from the ashes more powerful, more pure, more closer to the divine as a king. The same things are symbolized by the egyptian Horus/Ra, and pretty much all other solar deities.

Fire is the purifying element. By being dropped into fire, your old self is burned down in a painful process that destroys the old self, just so that your new self can rise more powerful, more enlightened, more pure and closer to the divine source.

Purgatory is the same principe applied to the spirit realm, where spirits undergo a process of purification after death under certain conditions - although I am not sure how this one works.

Basically, just work on yourself and its fine
>>
>>17333670
Have you seen those clichés where someone's punishment is endless partying or something like that?
>>
Man even these guys have a burny stab land?
>>
>>17333658
>MFW life is shitty as fuck

I cant believe that I fucked up this big in my past life
>>
>>17333003
There isn't one. It's earth.
>>
>>17333697
>Mortal, I sentence you to eternal shitposting
>>
Hell ain't shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XvRdPln88
>>
>>17333003

As someone who was born into Buddhism, let me tell you that all this "Buddhism is so symbolic and atheist" shit was made up by White, latte drinking hipsters.

There is hell in Buddhism and ghosts, pretas and all that other stuff. Even gods.
>>
>>17334679
White latte drinking hipster spotted.
>>
>>17333003
Jesus fucking Christ. I keep hearing about how Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion, how it's really helpful and it's something even atheists can appreciate, and how it's different from all the bullshit western religions. And then I see shit like this. Torture and unimaginable suffering for drinking, gambling, and infidelity? The only one of those things that's inherently bad is the infidelity, but that sure as fuck doesn't warrant endless torture.

If this shit is mainstream, Buddhism is just as bad as fundamentalist Christianity. "Live the way we say you should or you'll have a 'gloomy mind' (whatever the fuck that means) and you'll go to hell and be tortured by demons! Actually, even if you try really hard to follow our 'commandments', you'll probably still end up in hell, but do it anyway or you'll end up in double-plus-bad hell!"
>>
>>17334859
>endless torture
If you think it's the torture you have to worry about being endless you're in for quite a surprise.
>>
>>17333003
>because I'm buddhist I will go to the buddhist hell
>because I'm christian I will go to the christian hell

Don't you see the fall in that reasoning?
>>
>>17335256
I'm a Jedi so I get to go to a galaxy far far away get rekt
>>
>>17334679
>implying buddhism wasn't westernized long, long before 'latte drinking hipsters' was a meme

youre retarded
>>
>>17333003
...sort of. Buddhism has a lot of different realms, each associated with the emotions that lead you to be reborn there. Hell realms are any place (in this world or other dimensions) that are dominated by anger or hatred (or just generally aversion).

It's largely a function of your attitude. Whether you believe you might be reincarnated in hell or not, you should gain control over yourself to the point where you aren't controlled by aversion (or any of the other five disturbing emotions).

I recommend you don't think of it as 'heavan' or 'hell' if that harshes your mellow. Some places to be reborn are shitter than others, but that's just one of many reasons to gain control over your awareness so you can decide where you go when you're unmoored from your physical form.

>>17333670
You get reborn as a god. No really, if you were an ethical hedonist in this life, you'll keep on partying for several eons. Supposedly the hangover takes several lifetimes though.

>>17334679
>>17334859
I agree this adds nothing of much value to the path, except insofar as the description of the multiverse is a metaphor for the inner path through overcoming one's more confused instincts. I do find that in North America at least, only a minority of buddhists think this way, probably because Buddhism has no surviving evangelical religion and not a lot of people do it just to fit in. Not much need to frighten the peasants if everyone in it is motivated by actually wanting to achieve enlightenment.
>>
>>17335345
But why did Buddha explain the different hells in such vivid detail ?
>>
>>17333003
its not permanent . hells are states of existence between lives in buddhism. its not like the pop culture hell christians thought up

the purpose is to strip away the ego leaving only the id. the core self. its not a punishment and time spent can seem fleeting

the reason some versions of buddhism have a more scary version is only a enlightened being can stand ones ground against horrifying things . any animal can run away when scared but not even every man can understand the futility in running and accept what must happen
>>
>>17336847
But is it full of physical pain ?
Also, is it true, that, the upper you are on the realm, the less beings life there ?
I mean there are much more animals as humans.
So does that mean, that there is an incredible number of hell beings ?
>>
>>17336847
Dante's Inferno is to blame for what we believe Hell is. I guess the Church's didn't try and stop it by making the Doom Paintings.
>>
>>17336880
see
>>17333687
>>
>>17333003
Buddha said hell doesn't really exists, it is created by the mind. But this same applies to our world, so if you think our world exists then it's stupid to consider hell non-existent.
>>
>>17336814
So you'd talk about dharma on 4chan.
>>
>>17337140
>le world is in our heads meme
Egotistical humans.
>>
>>17336847
I've occasionally wondered if Buddhism and its tenets are purely an artifact of Asian cultures emphasizing the collective, and teaching people that the individual comes second and that they should submit to authority. There's all that talk about how the ultimate goal is to lose your ego and all your attachments. To me, that seems like a very useful philosophy to instill in people if you're at the top of the social ladder and want to keep the social caste system the way it is - tell the peasants that they'll be "enlightened" if they don't care how shitty their lives are.

>only a enlightened being can stand ones ground against horrifying things. any animal can run away when scared but not even every man can understand the futility in running and accept what must happen

And this sounds like something that could easily be used to brainwash the peasants so they don't rebel against the upper classes. "Don't fight back against us no matter how much we oppress you. Fighting back is the response of an animal. A truly enlightened being will understand that resistance is futile, and simply allow us to continue doing whatever we want to whoever we want."
>>
>>17336814

moderns assume that a mind made reality must be vague, immaterial and airy fairy
>>
>>17337218
Those ideas show up in Abrahamic religions too. "Oh your life is shitty? Be a good servant of god and when you die all will be wonderful!" There's a reason Marx called religion the opiate of the masses. He may or may not be right, but he didn't pull it out of left field.

I think Buddhism differs in telling its followers things about their internal selves. IE: "Give up your desires and desire won't bother you any more," instead of "give up your desire and you'll get everything you want after you die."
>>
>>17339179
Yeah, but at least the Abrahamic religions offer something that might make it worth it. The endgame of Buddhism is apparently complete emptiness. Why would I want to work toward that? You'd think that the best way to reach the end goal of Buddhism would be to just fucking kill yourself and have your soul be annihilated. If you don't exist, you can't desire anything! And yet it seems like what you're actually supposed to do is continue to exist, but with no desires, interests, or personality, so you might as well not exist. In practical terms, that would make you very useful for the elites, because you don't care if they beat you, kill you, torture you, conscript you, enslave your children, take everything you have, etc.

>"Give up your desires and desire won't bother you any more"

I mean, am I supposed to consider this tautological bullshit profound of something?
>>
>>17334679
This. It's unbelievable how so many people just regurgitate their own made-up opinions as if they actually were what Buddhist/x really believes. New agers, theosophists and hippies are the worse...
>>
>>17333009
STFU. Read the Tipitaka and then STFU some more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripi%E1%B9%ADaka
>>
>>17339212
>The endgame of Buddhism is apparently complete emptiness
I don't think you've understood it.

The end goal is to reach nirvana, a state of pure bliss, where you have abandoned your attachments and are totally at peace. As an analogy I'd call it an internal heaven reached via a lot of work, rather than an external heaven that you reach when you die.
>>
>>17333003

So...this is the exact same thing as Christian hell...wow.

For fuck's sake why does everyone who see this shit can't take something figuratively and have to take it litterally.

No, you will not go into a literal realm of fire and torture when you die you fucking naive fool. Stop succumbing to the fear propaganda!

Man it's not hard, just live your life living in the moment, not lingering on past regret and try your hardest to do good and be a good person.

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU WILL DIE WITHOUT REGRET AND WILL NOT GO TO HELL!
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.