[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys think time travel is possible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

File: what.jpg (35KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
35KB, 650x366px
Do you guys think time travel is possible?
>>
no i dont think so. if it was and i had an access to it then boy i would kill off the ancestors of all those horrible people that exist today.
>>
>>17300232
If it were possible, wouldn't that alter history in a negative way?

I mean, if you interrupt something that was supposed to happen, that might fuck some things up.
>>
>>17300239
yeah that is what the scientists say but nobody even has access to time traveling so how would they know? there are probably people who would go back in time just to win a lottery but im the type of person who would want to change the world for the better with our current knowledge, too much death, and destruction for no reason
>>
You're traveling through time right now aren't you? I don't see how it would be feasible to travel backwards in time, but traveling forward might be accomplished.
>>
>>17300254
No, I mean like, waaay forward, all at once.

Like, jumping from 2016 to 2045 or something.
>>
I think if time travel were possible, we would know it by now because someone would have time traveled and told us they did, no one can keep their mouth shut about that. Or maybe it is possible and when you time travel, your memory is lost
>>
>>17300340
There have been hoaxes, so I'm not sure that would be true.
>>
>>17300228
>Do you guys think time travel is possible?
Yes, absolutely.
>>17300239
>was supposed to happen
This is generally considered illegal unless you have a reason to re-create that timeline.
>>17300253
>to change the world
Please start now, not in the past or future.
>>17300260
Active jumping like that wouldn't be possible, but if the world can agree that you have no place in the past, it's possible for a self-stable "pull" to occur in certain futures.
>>17300340
>no one can keep their mouth shut about that
Not permanently, no. Sadly we do not yet have the luxury of living in a world that cares to leave us the truth.
>>17300355
Some "hoaxes" conceal a truth/alternate timeline.
>>
>>17300228
possible via astral projection remote viewing

the us army and the russians were experimenting with this
>>
>>17300253
Contrast is needed in the world. Your idea of "good" and "bad" are as arbitrary as everyone else's. You would not be changing the world for the better relative to an objective viewpoint. You would be changing it relative to your own tiny, insignificant, limited, subjective experience.
>>
File: bbb.png (395KB, 897x609px) Image search: [Google]
bbb.png
395KB, 897x609px
>>17300228
Do you buddy absolutely needed another thread on this ?
>>
>>17300228
Time traveler here. It's possible.
>>
>>17300232

Perhaps that was already tried, and it backfired.

On the other hand, maybe the era we're living in is an improvement over an even worse alternative history.
>>
>>17300228
I think it's possible to travel forwards in time faster than other things. The closer to the speed of light you go the slower time travels. So of I went at almost the speed of light on a ship with a completely accurate clock away from the earth and back for 10 years, 100 years will have passes on earth.
Backwards time travel is more difficult. You would have to turn all of your matter into energy, and even then you might not be able to go faster than the speed of light, which is what it takes to travel backwards through time.
>>
>>17300828
That so? How long you been here? If it won't quirk your navigation data.
>>
>>17300843
Genius scientists were forced to work for the Nazis and the nazis won the war. Said scientists come together to figure out time travel and undo their deeds. The go back before the war and get their younger selves to Russia and America. They also plant Hitler's doctor to ensure drug psychosis, and rommel to attempt a coup.
>>
>>17300228
Time travel itself is a concept we have not fully defined because we are not currently capable to define it. Exactly like with strong A.I.
This is why we have the same trouble answering whether or not time travel or strong A.I. will ever become reality: we first need to know that we might not even know yet what time travel is exactly. Are we talking about going back and forward across the same "timeline"? Are we talking about "hopping" from one "timeline" to another? Is it even possible to tell for sure whether or not you are returning to the same universe you originally left? Before asking whether or not it will ever be possible we need to define clearly what we want to achieve exactly.
>>
>>17300239
Maybe not if we are actually hopping timelines.
>>
>>17300843
Philadelphia experiment.
>>
>>17300232
Yeah, but you're also killing off tons of other people who haven't doesn't horrible things. Also, be sure not to go too far back or you might end up accidentally end up killing off someone who is also your ancestor.
>>
>>17300871
Lol time dilation is a much much more powerful effect than that friend.

Refer to this page:
https://www.fourmilab.ch/cship/timedial.html

As you can see when you start talking about relativistic speeds, time dilation becomes massive. If you hop on board a ship moving at .99999999999999% the speed of light, one day on your ship would equate to ~20,000 years on earth.

This is only one way to travel forwards in time. The other way is through gravitational time dilation but this requires extreme g warping only attainable with black holes.
>>
>>17300894
Learning about possibilities has nothing to do with planning. Most cataclysmic discoveries are totally on accident.
>>
>>17300946
Won't really make much of a difference, some will cease to exist while new people will also be created from this outcome. I doubt I will kill off any of my ancestors they are from another part of the globe. Most of the people I will be targeting would also be white skinned
>>
You're doing it all the time.
>>
just a reminder anyone who thinks time dilation is time travel is stupid.
>>
we're traveling through space at hundreds of kilos per second.. not only would a time machine have to manipulate time but know precisely where the earth will even be located. the planet, the solar system, the milky way.. its all moving all the time. make sure to send a redshirt first.
>>
>>17300228
I think it will be one day, but because people went to school and used science to get there. No one on /x/ will ever accomplish it.
>>
>>17301140
I doubt you'll learn how to make the discovery of the universe by going to school. It takes genius to get anywhere because the rest of society is too ossified to let it happen under any other circumstances.
>>
>>17301108
Movement is based on a frame of reference. You can just as easily say the Earth is the unmoving center of everything and the universe is moving around it.
>>
>>17301144
It won't happen by lighting candles, drawing in the dirt, and trying to call down higher beings either.
>>
Time in manufactured by consciousness I'm pretty sure. So theoretically, it would be a memory.
>Memories are time travel.
>>
>>17301219
Memories change each time you recall them.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/02/04/271527934/our-brains-rewrite-our-memories-putting-present-in-the-past
>>
>>17301235
That's interesting, thank you.
>>
>>17300809
Plot twist, three different versions of OP from three different timelines have made these threads simultaneously!
>>
>>17300228
No, and anyone who pretends otherwise is retarded.
>>
>>17301100
Are you saying that time dilation is not time travel to the future? I know many physicists who would disagree.
>>
>>17301144
>Einstein never went to school
>euler never went to school
>Laplace never went to school
>John von Neumann never went to school
>Feynman never went to school
>just about every major physicist and mathematician in history never went to school

Lol, bill gates is the exception to the rule friend. You don't create machines that run on physics and math without knowing them in detail.
>>
The theory i heard was that as well as time travel it is Inter Dimensional Travel so that doesn't necessarily mean that time travel would affect history.

Inter-dimensional time travel mean that there are an Infinite amount of Universe's with an infinite amount of possibilities where you could end up, in terms of the state of the dimension, meaning that you could never return to your original dimension.

There will be a dimension in which the South won the Civil War and where The Nazis won world war 2
>>
Elon Musk came backward from a future date, the changes have already happened.
>>
>>17301191
It will if there's a time traveler paying attention. And if they can safely visit you. And if they have a way to find the date of your ritual.
>>
>>17301787
You can learn everything they learned with reading books. However school is a good tool if you need a mentor to help guide you through understanding it.
>>
>>17302803
No you can replicate with just reading books. The reason universities and schools still exist is because they challenge you to actually think about how to solve problems.

Replicating and thinking are two immensely different things. Its the reason why not every straight A student actually manages to get a phd. They can't think and form solutions to problems they've never seen before.
>>
>>17300809
Didn't know there were other threads about this.
>>
>>17300762
Source?
>>
>>17300228
well time travel to the future is most certainly possible. but i also think that time travel into the past is equally possible, only through the understanding of the connection of time and gravity. im sure that if we figure out teleportation then we can figure out time travel in reverse.

ive been working on a theory if anyone wants to hear it.
>>
Time doesn't exist.

Change and flux exist. Time itself does not. Past states and future states are simply our attempt to accomodate everythingness, though our scope is severely limited.
>>
>>17300228
Yes, it's very possible, Einstein's theory suggests this and it doesn't break any laws of physics as we know it. As speed increases so does your mass, as your mass increases time slows down, this has been tested several times in labs.

See Michio Kaku: The Universe in a Nutshell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NbBjNiw4tk&t=34m13s
NOVA "The Fabric of the Cosmos: The Illusion of Time" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCAnNWqQFOQ
Time Dilation
>>
>>17300239
It would put an end to the timeline you were supposed to be on, but start a whole new one.

Whether or not that's positive or negative is a matter of relativity.
>>
>>17300773
How long until that pedestal cracks under your high horse?
>>
>>17303013
>Replicating and thinking are two immensely different things
Glad to see someone's listening.
>>17304954
Instantaneously. We really can't afford to have anyone thinking it's their job to go Schizo on the timeline.
>>
>>17301090
You really have no fucking clue how infinitely connected everything on the face of this planet is do you? If you had been conceived just 1 minute late or early you'd be an entirely different person (hence the reason brothers and sisters aren't identical)
>>
somebody better make sure shit sent across time also moves through space so it can move with the earth and sun, or it'll just be left behind in interstellar space thanks to the earth's orbit around the sun and the sun's orbit around the center of the galaxy or whatever
>>
john lear confirmed it is possible in an art bell interview back in the 90s. long ass interview tho not sifting thru it to see his explanation
>>
>>17300253
Special relativity
>>
Sure, time travel is possible, but our brain is no built to understand it, because our brain produces the arrow of time. Every human lives in a different universe with fix elements. The existence is infinite in possibilities, to grasp the whole thing is not conceivable nor explainable nor necessary to understand. Every entity exists in every possible form in every timeframe at the same time. When you would go back in time no change would happen in my universe, except that you does not exist anymore. During a psychosis I changed stuff i the past, but it's not possible to proof, and the change was only in my universe. If you read this in the future, I write this in the past and I still exist like you do now.
>>
>>17300228
It can be
If technology gets more advanced
>>
>>17307016
>If technology
That's a dangerous assumption.
>>
>>17300232
Everybody kills Hitler on their first trip. I did. It always gets fixed within a few minutes.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.