[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Imaginary Friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: imaginary-friend-e1382016524975.jpg (36KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
imaginary-friend-e1382016524975.jpg
36KB, 768x576px
Has anyone here had/still have an imaginary friend? I used to think that it was a pretty shitty idea, and was probably used by kids as a way to practice social interaction without having a chance of ruining their reputation with others, but after looking up some remarkably shitty sources it seems like there is a small amount of people who believe that imaginary friends can be created as adults. More than that, they think that with time and effort you can trick your mind into seeing and hearing them, and hold intellectual conversations with them. Does /x/ believe in this, too?

Do you think that imaginary friends can be created? Of any shape, color, or creed? Do you think that it's worth the effort and hassle of creating it just to have a friend? Do you think that the conversations and interactions you have with it would be meaningful, or that, since it's an imaginary friend that you created, you would already know all of it's opinions and would be able to know everything that it would do before it does them?

I've got an active social life and don't have any real need to have to create my own friends, but the thought of having a friend that would never move away or drift apart from me does intrigue me. It doesn't help that I'm a bit of a furry, so the "any size any shape" thing also appeals to me.

Let me know your thoughts, what you would do if you had an imaginary friend that you created, what kind of imaginary friend you would create.
>>
Just remember OP, that this exists: www.hearing-voices.org/

In light of that though, I see imaginary friends as a proactive creation of the mind. If it helps you sort out yer troubles in isolated situations, or helps you practice social interaction, why, I'm all for it.
However, when your imagined cohort intrudes into real life, like that imaginary vagoo you have between your stubbly legs, then I consider it unhealthy. Get your vagoo surgery, or build a robot, but for the love of fucking god don't make me play along with your shitty imaginary world.

My imaginary world is superior. :)
>>
>>17258372
I didn't read all of that but an imaginary friend is nothing but the systems in your brain trying to form it's ID by selectively adhering to and disregarding the brains various attempts at surviving in its environment;
"Touch that bright orange warm thing" = burning your hand
"You should eat more of these, they make you feel good and more aware" = collecting food

An imaginary friend is the remnants of the brain trying to reconcile these apparently separate trains of thought until the dominate one will overpower the latter and it will be forgotten.

Your daily dose of sense from your friendly neighbourhood /x/phile
>>
>>17258372
Me again >>17258404
As for the imagining of a friend, I used to think it was stupid as well, but in my younger years of being an uneragefagg0t I drew a lot of comics and lived in continuous isloation. I'm still in isolation, but I routinely 'converse' with some of the characters from my comics. This may occur in the form of listening to music and imagining the characters play out some kind of scenario (who doesn't do this?), or it could be me on the shitter staring at the white wall in front of me, imagining what I'd say to the robot character who doesn’t poop.

I'm not entirely sure if that counts as imaginary friends, but aside from the hive mind that is 4chan, I've got my imagined comic book characters and white walls to talk to. Imaginary friends rock.

P.S. Aliens are fucking real.
>>
>>17258415
Heyyy now, you should have read OPs post, you only answered whether you thought it was constructive to have imaginary friends...
>>
>>17258404
That's the biggest thing that I've noticed among the people that are adults and have imaginary friends- at least the ones that write online about it. They usually seem like the "not fully matured" crowd that's angsty and hangs out with the guys that think they're actual wolves. I know that I, and probably many other people, can/would have imaginary friends and not be so open about it because we understand that it's not really useful to shove it in everyone's faces. Thanks for the link, I must have missed it when looking this up.

>>17258415
I don't understand this. From what I've read, trying to create an imaginary friend is more about trying to constantly think about a specific character or being until your mind does it out of habit, and hopefully subconsciously. At this point I'm not talking about imaginary friends that randomly occur in youth, but adults specifically deciding to try and make an imaginary friend.

>>17258431
I'm sure everyone does this- another form of when people talk to themselves, just to pass the time or entertain themselves whenever they're bored or alone, or when people come up with stories to think through when laying in bed trying to sleep.
>>
i had an imaginary friend when i was 5 or so and it told me to kill my mom so i took a pillow and tried to suffocate her in her sleep
>>
>>17258482
i think ""imaginary friends" are actually demons that attempt to take advantage of children in order to hurt humanity.
>>
>>17258445
I take your point but I read it and my comment still stands in that he asked about ones creation and variances, when he had a lack of understanding of what the phenomenon was and how it occurs.

Saying that, I believe I am the manifestation of my imaginary frind, the truly dominate one who tricks himself into thinking he's special because then he will be, I fought everything and everyone, had it all, lost it all, yet all the way through it was like I was just playing a child's game, on an adult scale and if I'm honest if feels like I've completely given up control and now I just sit back and watch the ride. Its like my inner voice is shouting in some weird epic shout like I'm on the edge of some epic battle called life:- organising all for the last showdown, then when the trumpets sound I'll be nowhere in sight, and you look around and realise you were playing by yourself this whole time. Then you get bored and play another game. Goodnight.
>>
>>17258499
We've all had it rough at some point, you and I are luck enough to have teh internet, I guess. 4chan has always been here when I've been at my worst, no need for imaginary friends, when real live people can call you a nigger instead. Oh, and OP is a fagg0t. Aside from that all:
Just remember anon, I love you.
>>
>>17258486
Note taken. I've been researching in to 'negative' and 'positive' energetic entities. Apparently, as a younger human, you're more apt to concentrate these forces around you as you develop. Generally by puberty, your polarization is complete and no concentration of forces works on you, as you are now 'oriented'. *shivers* on a mass scale, it looks like the planet is orienting towards the negative....
>>
>>17258372
adult imaginary friends = religion

inb4 fedora.jpg
>>
This is slightly related, since this is based on an imaginary friend that I had as a kid. When I was in elementary school I had an imaginary friend. My mom began asking me questions about him, starting with asking what his name is. I told her his name was Kenny and I began to give more details including the fact that he was 21 years old. At the time I didn't consider that it would be weird for a child to have an imaginary friend who is so much older. This freaked out my mom because exactly 2 years before I was born her cousin Kenny died in a car accident at 21. It was a weird coincidence.
>>
I still have an "imaginary friend", and talk to myself almost all the time that I'm alone. Although, I've deduced that it's more my ego than "myself", and the characters I've created are an extension or reflection of that.

I thought I'd have grown out of it by now, but I guess I've always been an isolated person.
>>
I never willingly had imaginary friends. I had imaginary friends, but they scared me. One was named Arthur. Arthur was an old man. He was quiet and watched from the corner. There was a pirate too, he came and went every now and then. I always hid from him, he was mean to me.
>>
>be me
>have lots of friends because l'm "funny"
>actually depressed and lonely once l'm by myself
>decided to have an imaginary friend at 4
>it's a fairy dressed in green
>all we do is talk
It's been 19 years (l'm 23 now), she's not "that little voice" in my head, she's something else. Not a tulpa though, also l can't see her in real life
>>
>>17261066
>decided to have an imaginary friend at 4
>It's been 19 years (l'm 23 now)

4+19=23

This checks out guys.
>>
Weirdly, I have no memory of this, but my mother told me (and showed me a brief video clip that confirms it) that I used to have an imaginary friend called "Alfie" who I would blame for all the naughty things I did. When my mother pressed me for information about "Alfie" I insisted he was an elf that didn't like to be seen.

Probably the strangest thing of all is the way my mother reacted (and this is when she told me about it) when I named my son Alfie and said I did so because he looked like an elf..elfie. She said it was like I had spawned my imaginary friend.
>>
>Be ~5 years old
>Have an imaginary friend named Jim
>One day, sitting on the couch with my mom
>The closed front door opens up completely and then shuts itself
>My mother swears to this day that I said "It is just Jim!"
>>
>>17258372
>children
>thinking about reputation
>cynical social training
you, op, sir, are imbecile
>>
bump
>>
I have various imaginary friends. Having an alternate "persona" to talk to and bounce ideas off of helps you think of things from different angles, and when you're sad, pretending someone's sitting there comforting you is better than just being totally alone.

If you're creative in the slightest, it's easy enough to "create" them. Seeing them places is hard, but imagining them is easy, as is developing a personality.

I find them helpful and meaningful, though of course they're not the same as another real person to talk to. Despite what tulpa types might say, there's no real harm in playing around with creating mental entities. They're just your imagination, and if you're more or less not schizophrenic they won't turn on you. Probably.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.