[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So to meditate do you just focus on one thing and that's it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: 1452728716657.jpg (43KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1452728716657.jpg
43KB, 540x960px
So to meditate do you just focus on one thing and that's it?
>>
File: xpol.jpg (184KB, 810x744px) Image search: [Google]
xpol.jpg
184KB, 810x744px
>>17217461
Yeah senpai that's how you do it desu.
>>
Wrong, that is not how you meditate.

You don't focus on one thing, it's the opposite. Anything you think of you try and cut off the thought before it finishes.
>>
>>17217484
>Wrong, that is not how you meditate.

Don't be such a liar.
>>
>>17217484

yep totally!! it works better with binary beats and chakra tarot card crystals and energy summoned spirits too
>>
>>17217555
This.

Don't forget to subscribe to Alex Jonespirit Science.
>>
I ALMOST DIDNT NOTICE OP IS A FAGGOT
>>
>>17217484
Don't be a faggot, there is more than one way to meditate.
>>
>>17217461
I usually just try to relax as much as possible and not really think of anything. I can't do it for very long but you can start to tell the difference between mind "noise" and real thoughts that come to you during it. I've never read any material on meditation or been taught though so I could be completely off. Still it's a calming exercise and I definitely feel less stressed and more in sync with myself when I'm done which I think is the point.
>>
Depends what form of meditation.
>>
>>17218209
and that pic made me cringe, unsure if that was Op's intentions complete garbage.
>>
>>17217461
breathing
>>
>>17217461
No Thing.

>>17217476
Alright, now I am convinced.
You are a liar and a thief.
>>
>>17217461
Think about nothing. It's known to be difficult. Just kind of let your body and mind exist. Your mind will swarm all over the place in the first couple of minutes of trying to relax, but you just have to bring it back to naught.
It's difficult for some people of western cultures to really get that nothingness, so focusing on your breathing is a good first step.
>>
>>17217566
Requesting permanent ban of this guy.
>>
>>17218701
This isn't Reddit
>>
>>17217461

To mediate is a cultural thing not a technique to achieve anything or any "state".
>>
>>17218715
Where the fuck have you been? Under the biggest fucking rock on earth?
>>
>>17218722
Stage 2... you're so far away from ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z3lmidmrY
>>
>>17217461
ZaZen is the only way. Sit down, scholar.
>>
>>17217476
I've seen you around. You're up to something. Stop it
>>
>>17217512
You practice Discordianism, don't you?
>>
>>17218701
He's a discordian. Ignore his shite
>>
ITT
Overeducated white weeaboos talking about Eastern cultural elements as though they invented them.
Just because you put on yoga pants and pontificate like self-important prices, that doesn't mean you aren't just idiots shrieking into the void in an effort to shake off the futility of your life.
>>
Besides thinking of nothingness what is another form of meditation?
>>
Try and count your breaths. Slowly and deeply, be aware of them. Be aware of everything but don't dwell on those thoughts. If you head itches, let it itch. If your ear itches, let it itch also. Just be there. Don't try and control your world, be comfortable with how things turn out. Do that for about 15 minutes and you'll feel great. Most importantly, don't feel bad if while meditating your mind wanders and you become lost in your thinking. Just start back thinking about your breathing, and try to focus. Meditating is a discipline that takes years to master. Good luck OP
>>
>>17220697
A vain attempt at running from the mistakes that are perpetuated by the attempt of running away.

Such is the western minds education.
Nothing else to expect.
However, not everybody here is the same.

Meditation for western minds is sort of a catch 22.

First you must get rid of your illusions about what meditation is in order to practice it correctly.
Through meditation you get rid of these illusions.

"Overeducated", as you said it.

To make the simple complex, and the complex simple.
Topsy-Turvy Reality.

Still you are none the better for adding salt to this already salty stew.

Those who want to understand will understand, and those who want to pretend will pretend.

So what is your reason for this remark?
>>
>>17221667
>>17220697

hurr rbuurr muh mysteroius orient mystical chink religion.
The west has been practicing meditation for centuries

nigger read a book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_contemplation

>In Christian mysticism, contemplative prayer or contemplation, for which the Greek term θεωρία theoria is also used,[1] is a form of prayer distinct from vocal prayer (the recitation of words) and, strictly speaking, from meditation (a form of mental prayer, also called methodical prayer, based on discursive reflection on various considerations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectio_Divina

>In Christianity, Lectio Divina (Latin for "Divine Reading") is a traditional Benedictine practice of scriptural reading, meditation and prayer intended to promote communion with God and to increase the knowledge of God's Word.[1] It does not treat Scripture as texts to be studied, but as the Living Word

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud_of_Unknowing

>The Cloud of Unknowing (Middle English: The Cloude of Unknowyng) is an anonymous work of Christian mysticism written in Middle English in the latter half of the 14th century. The text is a spiritual guide on contemplative prayer in the late Middle Ages. The underlying message of this work suggests that the way to know God is to abandon consideration of God's particular activities and attributes, and be courageous enough to surrender one's mind and ego to the realm of "unknowing," at which point, one may begin to glimpse the nature of God.
>>
>>17221692
Nobody said, that the west did not/does not practice meditation.

It's the same with "yoga".
The west invented "gimmick yoga".
Just another thing to do. However, that is not what yoga is.
Therein lies the nature of the western mind and that is what was adressed in my post.

There are evidently rare cases of real understanding of what meditation and yoga is.
Even in the east this is no different nowadays.
It's the same confusion everywhere.

>linking wikipedia
Ouch.
That is what the other poster meant by overeducation.
I don't say wikipedia is wrong. But the practice of meditation is even alot older than any of your links. All around the world.
And evidently so.

And then came wikipedia. It killed everybody. Because with just a few clicks you can "git smart".
>>
>>17221295
counting sheep
>>
>>17217555
Bullshit
>>
>>17220697
You have to be from east to meditate? Is something genetic or what?
And what do you mean with overeducation, since when to have more knowledge is bad?
>>
>>17221870
By* sorry for shitty english, is not my first language
>>
>>17217461
Whenever I meditate, everything feels zoomed out, like I have enhanced vision afterwards
>>
>>17221736
So wikipedia and "overeducation" is bad because all we have acces to the same information and you can't play the smartass isn't it?
>>
File: Akshardham.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
Akshardham.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>17221878
i think what hes trying to say is that everyone just gets the answer, instead of finding it themselves
the journey is just as important as the destination
>>
>>17217461
It's like that part where you realize nothing anyone else is saying means anything and there's only the center of yourself.
>>
>>17221887
Ok, thats right. Is not the same knowing a concept and understanding it.
>>
>>17217461
There are many ways not only one.
>>
>>17221900
Exactly
>>
>>17217555
>i'm insecure and useless so i have to mock everything i'm not interested in, even when there's scientific proof that meditation provides positive benefits for people in a lot of situations.
>>
>>17221736
you're the worst type of human being.

learn some humility or have a shit life. up to you.
>>
>>17221878
I see you already got your answer.

Information won't get you anywhere.
Meditation itself did not arise out of information.
And there is alot of misinformation about it.

The meditation that happens of itself is the meditation you want.

In zen they would probably say, that you do not produce hiccups on purpose to enlighten yourself.

>>17222011
Funny, that is exactly what I could say in return to you.

But I'm not gonna do it.
Just incase you are right I am going to put that humility into practice and say:
Yes, obviously I must be the worst. Otherwise you could not experience yourself as "better" or "the best".

I hope you can enjoy this moment of egoism together with me.
>>
>>17222070
I understand your point but one thing, information, just information can get you to many places
>>
>>17217461
yes. before you experience peace, you get bombarded by your own thoughts. this is the startingpoint, but just if you get distracted by them. it´s like you learn to control your body again. heard about crazy monks, they gained so much controll that they could regulate their heart to stop. like manually breathing
>>
>>17222305

>if you don´t get distracted
>>
>>17222237
Yes information is a good start for many things.

Information alone can make you walk in circles more than anything else.
It is how you understand information. How you handle it.

Western world is very good at gathering lots of information and regarding those with the most information as the most intelligent people.

I've seen plenty of people suffer from many illnesses chiefly because of an accumulation of too many contradictive informations.

The fundamental difference between "east & west" can be explained nicely with a saying that goes like:
"The scholar learns a thing a day. The Taoist unlearns a thing a day."

One goes away from natural and practical meditation while the other goes towards it.

All Masters of this Meditation always refer to balance.

Now I write alot about something that is best when it comes naturaly.

With many years of experience I came to say, that mans natural state is what people are looking for when they say meditation.
With this what can almost be labeled "addiction for information" they gradualy wander away.
But they will eventually return, and then they will understand.
However, having "wasted a good amount of time", if something like this is a thing for somebody.
>>
>>17222335
What I want to add it, that the term "overeducated" can just as easily be replaced by "overstimulated"

In meditation people (not everyone, it is precicely here that misinformation created many illusions about meditation) seek relieve from this overstimulation.

This is futile however if Meditation is falsely used as another form of stimulation.

Thus I've said it's a Catch 22 situation for many.

In a real situation, you do not meditate. You are meditated.

For this "You are meditated", the false I and it's vain attempts must disappear.
"No I that meditates, but simply meditation."

But I'm beating around the bush again.
>>
>>17217461
Ever had a lucid dream or a night terror where you can't move at all? It's like being awake but your body is asleep.

I like to think that this is what meditation is exept you do i on purpose so your body is calm.

try do this, sit down crossed legs, try to relax your neck in a way that it is upright but wont fall, keep your back straight, make your body stop moving fully, keep your mind awake but let our body sleep, try to clear ou head as much as you can, It takes a long time and alot of patience to master it but its really relaxing and it feels like your in a trance, but Its like you can still tell what is chaging in the room its really weird.

defo worht trying to get into deep medition, just try to breathe into the nose and out throught the mouth at a calm pace.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.