[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NASA's Planetary Defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: Nasa.jpg (28KB, 660x400px) Image search: [Google]
Nasa.jpg
28KB, 660x400px
So NASA recently opened what they call a "Planetary Defense Coordination Office" that promises to "protect the Earth from incoming astroids."

With a name like that, though, it sounds way more sci-fi than just monitoring astroids. They already monitor astroids and comets, is there a need for a separate office?

"Planetary Defense Coordination" sounds more like preparation for an attack, or at least the early start of a galactic organization.

https://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/9/relieved-nasa-opens-planetary-defense-coordination/

Even if it isn't, it's still a neat idea. If we do head into a future with a galactic government, NASA would definitely be our ambassador.
>>
>>17206622
>or at least the early start of a galactic organization
Yes, that's kind of the point here.
>>
>>17206647
If that's the case, why can't the cut the shit and just outright say it?
I feel like confirming the existence of extraterrestrial life just wouldn't have as big of an impact today as it would have a hundred years ago. I mean we're living in the future. We have developed so much technology in just the past twenty years alone that if we weren't living with it we'd consider it science fiction.
>>
>>17206663
Because then they would have to admit how they know there's extra-terrestrial life. Eg, Obama (or Trump / Hillary idk) would go on live TV and say this:

>My fellow Americans, I have an announcement for you all. For some time, the US and other world governments have been aware of a highly advanced extra terrestrial civilization visiting Earth. We don't really know who they are or why they've come here. All we do know is that their technology is vastly superior to ours.

>Questions?
>>
>>17206622
I swear that 'astroids' used to have an 'e' in there somewhere
>>
>>17206677
So what then, NASA forgot to put this on their top secret black budget?
>>
>>17206677
Right, so why don't they ever firmly confirm or deny the existence of extraterrestrial life?

I mean, at this point in history, would it really be that big of a deal?
>>
>>17206622
It's predictive programming for when the "aliens" (demonic entities) arrive. They're putting all these little hints out there slowly over time so we'll be more comfortable with it when it happens and don't wig the fuck out
>>
>>17206687
I mean, dude, the space age is starting. In the last decade, hundreds of private space oriented companies have sprung up, there's Mars-one and even paid trips to the edge of space in cool ass planes. Just a few months ago the US congress passed a bill outlining asteroid mining rights.

Maybe you're just wrong. Maybe the two are unrelated. Maybe some scientists figured, "hey, we develop incredible new technologies every day, maybe if we applied money and manpower to it, we could viably stop a catastrophic meteor from ever hitting the Earth again."
>>
>>17206713
>It's predictive programming
If it's predictive programming, how do you know about it?

Does predictive programming not work on exceptionally smart people like you?
>>
>>17206622
They've heeded the call.
Thank fuck.
Asteroids are the second biggest threat to man.
>>
>>17206713
Honestly this is what I believe. All the disaster movies, alien invasion movies and games, ect. It's to get us used to the idea.
>>
>>17206622
When can I join Starfleet?
>>
>>17206726
what's the first?
>>
>>17206622
I think NASA is trying to stay relevant in this rabid, hyped-up defence/security focused environment & milieu
>>
>>17206724
Just my own opinion. And I never said it doesn't work on me, I'm more comfortable with things once I'm aware of them instead of just being plunged into the abyss. For me it's plain to see the media/goverment does shit like this all the time. I don't really have any examples so call me an idiot if you want, like I said it's just my opinon
>>
>>17206735
Fiction coves a massive range of topics

How do you decide which movies are predictive programming and which are mere fiction?
>>
>>17206622
Duhh, the big one is going to hit us, they just told everyone it's going to miss us, so they build their ion cannon in secret.
>>
>>17206735
You got it, we're easier to control if we have a point of reference subliminally pounded into our skulls
>>
>>17206758
>For me it's plain to see the media/goverment does shit like this all the time.
Aren't you afraid that you're simply asserting a foregone conclusion?

>fiction covers an impossibly large range of topics
>some of these topics actually occur
>the vast majority do not
>therefore fiction predicts reality, and is programming the masses
>>
we have been training people for this sense 1974. The more you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZfsnA7dAHI
>>
File: 911 dollar.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
911 dollar.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>17206787
9/11 has been planned for centuries
>>
>>17206787
I loled
>>
>>17206786
Honestly I think it all subliminally programs us to some extent, especially younger, more impressionable people. Only some of it is predictive progeamming. Guess we'll just have to wait and see though
>>
>>17206763
I don't think the individual films are predictive programming, but the genre of disaster movies.
Like, there are so many boring repetitive alien invasion movies with the same plot, same CGI, same overall shittiness.
They're all big budget films, and we're so used to seeing them. There's a new one every few weeks.
Maybe the funding for these kinds of movies comes from a government that encourages them because they serve as predictive programming.
>>
>>17206697
>>17206697
The US can't even handle illegal mexican aliens crossing the border, how the fuck are they gonna handle people from another damn planet???
>>
>>17206894
Well we could build a giant wall in the sky...I will see myself out.
>>
>>17206894
True, but at least the existence of otherworldly beings would give even the most racist of humans reason to drop their prejudices against each other to gang up on the aliens.
>>
We can't stop Yahweh s judgement
>>
>>17207387
Nope. There will literally be hell to pay
>>
>>17206746
Dinosaurs.
>>
>>17206622
Ayy lmao
>>
>>17206622
The job of monitoring might shift to the new office in time, or it may be focused on the defense part, which could be for home grown threats as in satellites we lose control over or ones South Korea may put up
Also UN would have to be involved because US does not control or speak on behalf of the world, granted it's one of few...
>>17206697
>>17206894
They can neither confirm nor deny because it may be possible or there may be evidence without legitimate contact
>>17206713
>>17206735
>>17206781
>>17206786
You guys know tinfoil can be toxic, right?
People are so adaptable we wouldn't need that, we adapted to new types of conflicts in the past, and if anything they'd be breeding and raising scientists
/x/ needs some damn xanex
>>
>>17206663

Imagine what it would be like for people 30 years ago to go back in time and show their younger selves a smartphone.
>>
>>17206758
>it's plain to see the media/goverment does shit like this all the time
>I don't really have any examples
You're an idiot.
>>
>>17206826
Or maybe it's because people love disaster movies.
>>
>>17207932
>/x/ needs some damn xanex
Typical fucking shill.
>OH NO! THEY ARE WAKING UP!!!! QUICK GIVE THEM PILLS TO MAKE THEM GO BACK TO SLEEP!!!

It didn't work when the doctors tried it on me, it isn't going to work now you fucking shill!!

YOU HAVE BETRAYED YOUR FELLOW HUMANS!!
>>
>>17206677
I am not sure why would they wanted to keep it a ¨secret anyway.
THere would be no panic. 95% of the population isn't retarded monkeys who don't believe in aliums (do you have any fucking idea how big universe is? the chance we are the only sentiments in it doesn't even exist)
People would panic'd like in 50s and shit but today? Most of them would be like "Oh that is so cool! I totally suspected it anyway tho."
And then an aliums would go on Oprah and shit to answer some questions and basically that would be it.. there would be aliums walking around from time to time and people would just reacted to them like to any other celebs
>>
>>17206677

Maybe aliens doesn't real, or at least we haven't discovered any yet.
>>
>>17206758

Idiot.
>>
>>17208626
Hurr durr why do you think that is? Because the idea's already been out in the population for so long. And you still overestimate people, a large chunk of them would still ape the fuck out, that's why there's still some conditioning to do, like with Hillary Clinton talking about area 51. There will be more too just wait and see
>>
>>17208652
Suck me faggot
>>
>>17206746
Your mom.
>>
>>17208649
>Tinfool: REVEAL THE TRUTH ABOUT ALIENS!!
>Gov: There is nothing to reveal, we aren't hiding anything
>Tinfool: LIAR! NOT REVEALING ANYTHING IS PROOF THAT YOU ARE HIDING THINGS!!!!!!!
And this is how a tinfool thinks. They can't comprehend that perhaps there is nothing to reveal, so of course any time the government denies anything it is a lie and a conspiracy.
>>
Do you really believe that the heavens are made up of balls of rock and that the stars are giant balls of burning gas?
>>
and another flat earth thread bites the dust. . . fishy fishy
>>
>>17208742
More than rocks m8

>>17208839
Maybe the earth isn't flat mk
>>
>>17207086
It's what they did in starship Troopers, they built a giant wall around Luna.
>>
>>17208626
You forget how much the hardcore religious nutters, primarily Christians and Muslims, would flip the fuck out because their little book told them that they'd been created in god's image and now here's a being with far superior intelligence. My bet? They'd do everything in their power to start a holy war and end up getting us killed.
>>
>>17206622
Monitering asteroids is vastly different than defending the Earth from them. And since this is a very real, very apocalyptic threat, I for one am very glad that it has it's own office. As far as the name goes, how the fuck does the name sounding "sci-fi" mean amything significant? Sci-fi turns into sci-fact eventually, why not start today?

Tin foils gon' foil I guess
>>
>>17206680
it does
>>
>>17206680
Watch this spin off into new Mendela Effect "evidence"
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.