[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic in film

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

File: Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg (834KB, 2400x1621px) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg
834KB, 2400x1621px
So I watched this film yesterday and realized that star wars is an allegorical representation of magic, by replacing The Force with The Will it all becomes apparent. The dark side seemingly representing LHP. The rebels, Jedi representing aspects of RHP. That's what I took away from it anyway.
>>
George Lucas admitted to the Force being a philosophy similar to kung fu and Yoda being modeled after kung fu masters.
>>
>>17179690
same thing really
>>
>>17179690
The force from Star Wars is just a rip off of Dune mental powers and prescience anyway.

Which is just a rip off of suffi philosophy.
>>
File: 04.jpg (111KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
111KB, 1024x768px
>>17179864
nah its magic brah
>>
>>17179609
OP I am sorry but you are mistaken. It is supposed to be a spiritual entity, similar to qi energy or the Tao. This spirituality is crucial to the mythic atmosphere of the original trilogy, which is futher bolstered by the black and white morality represented by the Empire (powerful, foreboding evil force) and the republic (last beacon of good, David that fells Goliath). I wouldn't the original trilogy religious films, but it is definitely spiritual as it almost perfectly follows Joesph Campbell's monomyth cycle. It is because of its adherence to this that audiences immediately relate to something within the films, even if they don't recognize specifically what it is. Similar types of stories have been told for thousands of years, and awaken something within our collective consciousness.
However, they are nonetheless works of fiction. Good fiction, but still.
>>
>>17179609
You're putting way too much thought into this. Then again, this is /x/, where making shit up and reading too much into things is the name of the game.
>>
>>17179609

Uh... Yeah.

The force is source

You can't throw shit around with it, don't be ridiculous.
>>
Magic still doesnt explain why Kai-lo Ren kills his father
>>
>>17179864
No it isn't. Characters in Dune don't use telekinesis and finger-lightning FFS. There's nothing like the Force in the Dune books.
>>
>>17179609
Yeah, because Star Wars is actually a really deep allegorical treatise.

I bet you keep a life-size model of C-3PO in your bedroom, don't you?
>>
So magic is fiction?
>>
>>17182196
Uh, what about the Voice commanding people to do things? Exactly like the Force dude. Think first please.
>>
>>17182199
Everything you know is fiction.
>>
>>17179864
If only jodorowsky made his film, we probably wouldn't have to deal with that tripe.
>>
>>17182493
True, but we'd have to deal with a whole lot of other tripe.
>>
>>17180795
how is that different to magic and alchemy?
>>
>>17180827
You sound like you despise all people that browse /x/ to the very depths of your soul.
>>
>>17183710
Maybe he just despises all the mush-brained New Age pixies around here who never read a book in their life.
>>
>>17180795
>I wouldn't the original trilogy religious films

Not even accidentally?
>>
>>17183748
I certainly do. I lurk here often, waiting for candidates that show some degree of potential. Only 2 people in 3 years have shown this. The rest is mind-numbing bullshit.
>>
>>17183748
Hello newfag. Allow me to explain both how and why you aren't welcome here, don't understand the concept of board culture, and exposed the entirety of your browsing habits to me and the rest of the lurkers on this board by conflating us with New Age dipshits.
>>
File: straws.jpg (86KB, 601x600px) Image search: [Google]
straws.jpg
86KB, 601x600px
>>17182330
Here anon, try grasping one of these.
>>
>>17183784
Hello mushbrain. Maybe its just that I've read a few books about psychology, comparative religion and philosophy, and gained some experience in meditation and divination, so that I've become impatient with all the edgy teenagers around here who pose as Satanists, psychics, vampires, or what have you.

And maybe I'm particularly bored of people who think Star Wars (FFS) has some kind of serious esoteric message.

Stick your board culture up your arse, you airy-fairy halfwit.
>>
>>17183857

Random passerby suggesting you fuck off with this shitty attitude until you get a book on literary analysis in the mix.

Also lurk more because you're a lot fucking dumber than you think.
>>
>>17183884
>Random passerby
Samefag alert
>suggesting you fuck off with this shitty attitude
Suggestion rejected. Suggest you learn critical thinking if you want to stop looking like a retard.
>you're a lot fucking dumber than you think
That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Stay mad, bro.
>>
File: 167432girl.png (21KB, 801x477px) Image search: [Google]
167432girl.png
21KB, 801x477px
>>
>>17183857
>all the edgy teenagers around here who pose as
This phrase tells me how long you've been lurking here. Pro tip: It isn't long.
>>
>>17183926
Wow, you can tell that from just half a sentence? You must be one of those "psychics" I was talking about ...
>>
File: slap-fight.png (446KB, 350x323px) Image search: [Google]
slap-fight.png
446KB, 350x323px
>>
>>17183947
No, I can tell because you're a retard that hasn't lurked long enough to know better. You even called another anon samefag. You carry the stench of tripfag on that ego of yours. Pro tip: You're anon.
>>
>>17183958
>identity policing this hard
holy shit senpai
>>
.>>17183958
> I can tell because you're a retard that hasn't lurked long enough to know better
That'll be another of those "asserted without evidence" claims, plus a king-sized non-sequitur.
>You even called another anon samefag
Meaning what, exactly? Are we just supposed to know? We're not all psychic like you.
>You carry the stench of tripfag on that ego of yours
Care to translate this into English for the rest of the class?
>Pro tip: You're anon.
Er, so is everybody around here. Or is there another deep meaning here we're supposed to pick up on? I mean, psychically?

You see, this is why I've been harping on about mush-brains and critical thinking. Thanks for illustrating my point.
>>
op here, I can't stop laughing.

>>17183748
>>17183779
>>17183857
>>17183903
>>17183947
>>17183986

>I don't think these anons possess the intellectual capacity to even notice that stars wars contains the entire philosophy of magic.
>>
>>17179609
It's true, all of it.
>>
>>17184142
The force is created by a mutation within the body that not everyone has as they have to be born with it. Magic is something everyone can learn and develop while some developing faster than others. Example: fin is probably going to become a jedi but cannot, as far as we know, use the force.
>>
>>17184142
I've seen quite a few of your kind at the nut holding facility. The most recent one was a 35 year old nerd who was having a psychotic break and believed that there was hidden science in the Lord of the Rings. He was arrested for going into a rage and yelling for an hour straight when his friends were worried and tried to talk him into getting help.

For your own sake, when you regain enough sanity to begin to realize that something's terribly wrong with you, seek help as fast as you can.
>>
>>17183973
>shitposts about board culture
>white knights for said shitposting
>>
>>17183986
>asserted without evidence
Like your claim that you're well-read. Pro tip: Even people that are well-read can shitpost if they fail to put any of that well-read knowledge in their posts.
>Are we just supposed to know?
No, it means you're supposed to lurk until you can post without broadcasting your persecution complex to the rest of the lurkers on this board. Even the other anon doesn't give a shit that you called samefag. Literally nobody but you can care about your inability to tell anons apart. I only bring it up because it's pertinent to my point that you're a lurkless newfag.
>for the rest of the class?
The rest of the class has been lurking long enough to know what a tripfag is and why they're hated. If you want to me rephrase myself for the sake of everyone else, you're shit out of luck, newfriend.
>>
>>17184142
It's almost like they think fiction is made for telling stories from other universes, rather than being a series of creative metaphors for reality. Maybe they just don't understand what art is. Could be autism or something.
>>
>>17184217
>there was hidden science in the Lord of the Rings
There is hidden science in LotR. Do you think someone goes and makes volume after volume of a fictional world without resorting to references to other cultures, times, places, ideas, and religions?

How the fuck do you think creativity works? Or do you just not consider LotR worthy of being called "art"?

Psychotic breaks happens because people can't tell fiction apart from reality. He's not delusional for thinking that LotR was an intricate body of work, he's delusional for thinking that all complexity is evidence of a superior reality. What's irrational is expecting someone who's never done a single scientific experiment in their entire life to realize the value of the reproducible results. When the only reason he has to believe in modern science is the say-so of authorities and those authorities can only claim authority because of the complexity of their argument, it's rational for him to pick another random body of work to find complexity in.
>>
File: 1450931999840.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1450931999840.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>>17184422
I agree
>>
>>17184184
>The force is created by a mutation within the body that not everyone has as they have to be born with it.

This really upset a lot of people but it seems like an allegory for royal bloodlines to me.
>>
>>17184422
>Do you think someone goes and makes volume after volume of a fictional world without resorting to references to other cultures, times, places, ideas, and religions?

Of course, but OP is obsessed with his interpretation, stating that it is _the_ interpretation. All others are discounted. Your fine points are lost on him.

It is not rational to go on a journey into the wilderness without any means of navigation. Fools who attempt such end up traveling in circles, falling off cliffs, starving to death, or becoming food. With the landscape of knowledge it is no different. If one claims to be a master of the terrain when they can't even engage in basic navigation, their foolishness has turned into arrogance.
>>
>>17184585
>OP is obsessed with his interpretation, stating that it is _the_ interpretation. All others are discounted.
1. OP did no such thing.
2. Rereading the OP I see no reason to believe OP has that sort of mindset at all.
3. Even if I assume OP holds that stance, OP isn't wrong; the entire series of films was inspired by Eastern mythology. Yoda is the single most widespread example of an Eastern style grand master as seen in Western culture.

To ignore the LHP/RHP symbolism is retarded. It's the entire fucking plot of the film. Yoda is the embodiment of the middle way. To say the authors were uninspired would be a blatant lie.
>>
>>17182493
jodorowski is a magician, anon. that stuff would have been in there, as all his films are about magic and weirdness.
>>
>>17184184
you shouldn't judge what Old and Feeble Lucas put into his movies to ruin the vision of the First Three.
>>
In episode 4 uncle owen calls Ben kenobi a wizard STAR WARS PAST FUTURE WIZARDS
>>
File: 13 (2).jpg (244KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
13 (2).jpg
244KB, 1536x1024px
>>17184626
OP here, I am glad someone else was able to recognize what I was trying to show.

>>17184585
Anon, this was me >>17184485 , and you were mistaken.
>>
>>17184156

underrated
>>
>>17181933
Because Harrison Ford is too old and likely to die in the middle of shooting episode 8.
They needed to kill him off.
>>
>>17184505
Taking into account all the midichlorian shit from 1-3 and analogy to mitochondria, what are the odds that some of it is true?

What's the origin of mitochondrias anyway?
>>
>>17183752
kek
>>
>>17183784
>>17183884
>>17183926
>>17183958
>>17184142
holy fuck you're a cringy lot of faggots aren't you?
>magic is real guys i swear i m a powerful wizard xDDD take my soul dark lord ill serve u honest
>>
>>17179609
>>17179690
>>17179864
I've always assumed that the force is supposed to be chi, at least from the way it was described in the original trilogy.
>>
>>17181933
Because harrisonwanted solo to die in RotJ and he did in the original script. But toys
>>
>>17185160
>trying to show
To say Star Wars was uninspired would be a lie. To say its inspiration wasn't based on something real would be debatable. To say you noticed anything worth talking about would be a lie. What it boils down to is that you noticed Star Wars was made by intelligent entities external to yourself. You literally made a thread about the fact that you noticed the first logical implication of the fact that Star Wars exists at all. You accomplish waking up and then made a thread about the fact that you woke up. You haven't said anything even remotely thoughtful.

>wakes up
>is awake
>realizes this
>thinks it profound
>wants to share it
>thinks of /x/
>posts on /x/

Each of these is a separate action with a separate implication. Each could be interrupted by any of a series of possible outcomes like REALIZING THAT THIS IS NOT YOUR PERSONAL BLOG.
>>
>>17187221
>and analogy to
Go on. It sounds like you have something you think is worth saying. What truly and really could cause harm to you if you said it for yourself? What might be able to protect you from said harm?
>>
>>17187234
If you think everyone that disagrees with your shitty attitude is a roleplayer, then you're a faggot twice as hard as anyone that disagrees with you ever could be.
>>
>>17187254
Chi 2.0 more like it. All the anti-/x/ shitposting has derailed the discussion ITT so hard that it seems like nobody's even cognized the fact that Star Wars didn't invent the idea of telepathy. Literally every post ITT could be read as if its poster believes Star Wars invented telepathy.
>>
>>17179609

George Lucas had his career begin when he was hired by the Rolling Stones to film a murder at their altamont festival.

look up Kenneth Anger if you want to see magical films, Anger's art has affected every human who has ever viewed a moving image.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.