[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird Icons on doorframe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: doorwayadornment.jpg (972KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
doorwayadornment.jpg
972KB, 1520x2688px
pic related.. these are screwed to the doorway near where the doorframe and the hinged part of the door meet. only visible when door is open..

anyone have any clue what they are/meaning?

my guess is to ward off evil spirits? The house was built in the late 40's
>>
Vav - A jewish letter
>>
>>17121813
That's a mezuzah.

>A mezuzah (Hebrew: מְזוּזָה "doorpost"; plural: מְזוּזוֹת mezuzot) is a piece of parchment (often contained in a decorative case) inscribed with specified Hebrew verses from the Torah (Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and 11:13-21).

>In mainstream, i.e. Rabbinic Judaism, a mezuzah is affixed to the doorframe of Jewish homes to fulfill the mitzvah (Biblical commandment) to inscribe the words of the Shema "on the doorposts of your house" (Deuteronomy 6:9). Some interpret Jewish law to require a mezuzah on every doorway in the home[1] apart from bathrooms and closets too small to qualify as rooms.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezuzah
>>
>>17121832
Letter is Shin.
>>17121813
It's a mezuzah.
>>
>>17121836

Spotted the kike.
>>
>>17121843
I'm no kike, silly goy.
>>
>>17121843

/pol/acks are so predictable and boring, same ol' response to everything they see
>>
>>17121846

>>17121847

This Contemporary Cylinder Mezuzah Has The Shin Carved Out On Top With The Mezuzah Prayer Etched Out On The Body Of The Mezuzah. Yet ironically, the mezuzah doesn't put the actual Torah on doorposts, instead it mocks the command by merely parroting the command that we should put Torah on our doorposts. Oy. Further, if we take this command literally, we also need to surgically put a mezuzah in our heart and soul, and add one to fenceposts as well.
>>
wow, good stuff, this is why I come to /x

I'll admit I feel like an idiot
>>
my question now is... would it be disrespectful at all to leave them up? given that I am now Jewish?
>>
>>17121891
Leave them up, as a neat conversation piece.
>>
>>17121870
It's a wonderful symbol and important nod to the command. My Grandfather even has one his door frame to his room in the Jewish nursing home he is in. Its a great way to proudly declare that it is a Jewish household to the community and a remind of our faith every time we enter our own homes... imho... but as you've pointed out not what we are actually commanded to do. We're not living up to that original command... but it is a gesture which is intended well... and yes the highway to hell might be paved with good intentions... but luckly we don't believe in hell. Lol
>>
>>17121813
Yeah it's a mezuzah and it doesn't 'bless the house' or anything, it's about living in a world of Jew haters and not being afraid to put a Jew-marker on your front door
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.