[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shamanism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 392f6fff6f9e.jpg (32KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
392f6fff6f9e.jpg
32KB, 500x335px
How is it that many independent societies around the world formed their own religions, and had their own versions of shamanism?
From what I understand mostly they seem to serve similar functions of healer (psychological and physical) and mystic, initiated by some sort of painful experience such as a disease in childhood.

I mean people wouldn't believe in spirits, voodoo and magical sky people for no reason at all, so what could it have been?
>>
The flow of inner vision m8
>>
>>17118924
Shamanism and its concepts are common throughout those independent societies as you put it because it is quite real when viewed under a specific scope of course.
1. It deals with primal archetypes. (Healing, Divination, Guidance etc)
2. It requires concentration/meditation/praying/trance/experience (thus can only be performed by someone "gifted" or "initiated" or "guided".
3. Contacts or uses spirits/ancestors/energies - human or natural (incorporating practically most beliefs and insticts of the human animal.)
Therefore it is easy to understand how different human communities, separated by both time and space have evolved similar techniques to address these issues. It is interesting to note here that a similar technique of the archetypal shaman, the drum beating, which was used to induce trance and therefore the spirit journey, is a technique used today with sound waves at specific frequencies to induce an altered state of mind. I would be happy to say more on the matter should any more questions arise. Have a good one anons.
>>
>>17120612
I came here to post this in a less concise and less clear way. Thank you, I like you.
>>
>>17120612
Please tell us more
>>
>>17120617
Sure thing, my pleasure. :)
>>
>>17120612
I'd be interested to find out more
Would you say those primal archetypes are still relevant today?
And are those spirits/energies, would you say they exist as separate entities or are just projections of the mind?
>>
>>17120644
There are plenty of topics that shamanism deals with. Symbolism is one of them. Utilizing a rather feeble example, "passage" into the spirit world/dimension is the way of the shaman or "the traveler" to restore spiritual essences. Healing usually occurs this way. The symbolism of the passage, the water (crossing rivers, crossing doorways) is the way to reach the other side. Entering the right state of mind through ritual (incantation, consuming or inhaling substances, the drum) allows the traveler to come into contact with the spirits and energies. Passage also works as in the "rite of passage" as it takes effort to initiate one into the world of the spirit travelers, as well as having the right condition which allows a deeper insight (having overcome a severe illness, a near-death experience and so on).
>>
>>17120666
weird trips.
>>
>>17120661
Yes those archetypes still exist because the human animal is still the same. Keep in mind that the progress of society has little to do with what it means to be human. Sure over time, spending thousands of years in cities will eventually kill the innate human fear of snakes but I believe you understand the message. Now as to the question of whether these are separate entities or projections of oneself, I can only answer with a question. Are we really separate beings unaffected by the people or events around us or are we somehow all interconnected? I cannot truly answer this. I am merely stating historical facts of the existence of shamanism coupled with scientific insight (the psychological kind) that our fellow humans have offered us until today.
>>
>>17120682
Hehe did not even notice, cheers!
>>
>>17120666
Another topic would be the spirits/ancestors/spirit animals. Most of them are understood to serve a purpose, the projection of an idea, archetype, message, knowledge. While some would arise from the nature of the afflicted (person, village, crops etc) others could arise from personal problems, psychological, societal or otherwise. Sometimes the powerful and wise shaman (experienced with age) could consult their own spirits (their own wisdom), or the younger one could discover themselves with the aid of these spirits (take a journey, physical or otherwise, become experienced).
>>
>>17120707
Still another topic would be the true purpose the shaman serves. A figure of authority, if not the actual leader of their community then a consultant at the very least, would be a pillar of that society, invested in understanding and resolving the problems of their subjects. His powers enhanced through observation of nature and human behavior and with a powerful human chain between student and mentor their would not be much different than today's scientists, religious/spiritual leaders and politicians (respected ones of course) combined.
>>
>>17118924
>>17120612
>>17120666
>>17120690
>>17120707
>>17120726
What are your beliefs? Or do you just rely on science?
>>
>>17120726
Forgive me but I have an eerie feeling that I'm flooding the thread. Hehe I'm around for more specifics if anyone wants.
>>
File: vVsjW9D.jpg (115KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
vVsjW9D.jpg
115KB, 1024x768px
>>17118924
To get laid.
>>
>>17120730
Oh I'm not the OP I'm sorry if I confused anybody. I simply took the chance to share on the subject. My belief is that there is truth to most if not all, the human psyche has produced. The degree of truth however is varying from teaching to teaching. This argument includes science as well. If I had to make an overly generalized point, that would be that I believe in the existence of both personal and universal consciousness, interconnected and timeless. Be wary, that is my personal point of view. Not necessarily true but true enough for me.
>>
>>17118924
Basically the ancient version of psychotherapy and cognitive behavioral therapy. Everyone needs some trusted figure of authority to confide in once in a while no matter who you are- we are social creatures at heart.
>>
>>17120612
>>17120690
>>17120666
Paulo Coelho detected
>>
>>17120783
Hahah I get the point. Sorry for the long posts. ;)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.