[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't anybody ever talk about astrology?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1446714475493-0.jpg (28KB, 530x502px) Image search: [Google]
1446714475493-0.jpg
28KB, 530x502px
Why doesn't anybody ever talk about astrology?
>>
>>17103036
Because it's a pseudo-science with little to no basis in reality.
>>
Indeed, I would rather talk about astronomy...
>>
Sometimes, I feel sorry for astrology. Well over 1,000 years of accurately predicting crops, seasons, navigation, and stellar events. Then the division occurred with heliocentric theory, and none of those things are attributed to this once great practice. Instead, it's just associated with stupid bullshit like horoscopes.
>>
File: 1449554494013.png (24KB, 800x473px) Image search: [Google]
1449554494013.png
24KB, 800x473px
>>17103098
Do you mind elaborating?
>>
>>17103098
>astrology
>accurate predictions

Prove it or fuck off.
>>
>>17103127
Unprove it or fuck in.
>>
>>17103153
I opt to fuck in. I put on my robe and wizard hat...
>>
wow burn this nigga.
>>
>>17103036
You mean astronomy, right?
>>
>>17103126
The sharp distinction between "astrology" and "astronomy" didn't exist until the Copernicus and the creation of the heliocentric theory.

Prior to that, there was little to no understanding regarding how or why natural events like seasons happened, but it was recognized that they could be predicted by the positioning of the stars. It wasn't until we realized that the tilt of the earth affected the length of day and distance from the sun that that it became clear that the idea of celestial bodies affecting human fates was absurd. After all, if you now know that those stars that *look* like they're right next to each other are actually existing in 3 dimensional space and are millions of light years apart, why would it make sense for then to affect your life?

Basically, astrologers covered both the personal and the celestial during geocentric theory. Now, astrology describes the personal and astronomy describes the celestial. Astrology is nothing but a shell of its former self.
>>
>>17103127
>Astrology, in its broadest sense, is the search for human meaning in the sky; it seeks to understand general and specific human behavior through the influence of planets and other celestial objects. It has been argued that astrology began as a study as soon as human beings made conscious attempts to measure, record, and predict seasonal changes by reference to astronomical cycles.[4]

>Early evidence of such practices appears as markings on bones and cave walls, which show that lunar cycles were being noted as early as 25,000 years ago; the first step towards recording the Moon’s influence upon tides and rivers, and towards organizing a communal calendar.[5] With the Neolithic agricultural revolution new needs were also met by increasing knowledge of constellations, whose appearances in the night-time sky change with the seasons, allowing the rising of particular star-groups to herald annual floods or seasonal activities.[6] By the 3rd millennium BC, widespread civilisations had developed sophisticated awarene
>>
>>17103211
So basically you're saying that astronomy and astrology were the same thing before recent advances in technology.
Astrology than at some point because psuedoscience while astronomy is the evolution of early space science?
>>
>>17103160
fuck off you old blood ninja
>>
>>17103036
talk to Mrs Cleo
>>
>>17103036
astrology is like homeopathy and tarot one pure bullshit

it used to be srs bussiness but modern astrologers are charlatans
they dont acknowledge new planets discovered or 13th zodiac sign serpentarius
>>
Because very few people actually understand astrology besides the hurr durr daily horoscope. It's a very reliable system if you understand it.
>>
>>17103036
it is REAALLLLLLLL
>>
>>17108793
Is it?
>>
It's a belief system that you apply faith into believing the shit it spouts off as real. Seriously. And the moronic abcessity that is those toting this pseudointellectual jargon, assuming they know who you are because it falls in their Special Snowflake Syndrome (SSS for your medical abbreviation needs) charts and calculations.

Identifying these people is no problem however, for once someone asks for my sign so they can draw some half-baked conclusion on my character, it becomes no laughing joke. Like a false religion based on ZA UNIVERSU.
>>
>>17103036
i dunno. maybe more of us are interested in practicing it amd this lost in it. it can be a simple thing to lose touch with each other. double pentagram. unicursal hexagram. actual code omitted. except to say draw half in a mirror and compare with the pentagram. replace pentagram with roseycross if preferred
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.