[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about quantum suicide/immortality?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 13

File: 17fugc936mfjkjpg.jpg (32KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
17fugc936mfjkjpg.jpg
32KB, 636x358px
What do you think about quantum suicide/immortality?
>>
>>17094522
There's only one way to test it OP.
>>
>>17094522
I got extremely high on some kind of pills a friend gave me and initially I felt a pop in my chest and extreme heat. Afterwords I blacked out and woke up on the side of his home puking with the sound of an ambulance blaring beside me however there was no ambulance. I blacked out a few more times ending up in different places. I'm fairly certain I died but then again I was high as fuck.
>>
Quantum suicide LOL

stop smoking angel dust faggot
>>
>>17094626
I can't stop. Please send help.
>>
>>17094522
Could be legit, we'd never know... until "the end." If we live in an infinite universe it might be possible that we have infinite life, as death doesn't "really" exist. When you "die" you have all the time in all the universes to remember again. But that's probably just our brains overcomplicating it. Whatever it is, I hope it comes soon to the whole planet.
>>
>>17094689
Until the last"you" dies.
>>
>>17094837
Have a (You), friend. May it treat you well.
>>
>>17094522
I think that if you're going to commit suicide with a airsoft gun like this one, it may hurt, but you won't die.
>>
File: govnor.gif (465KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
govnor.gif
465KB, 500x281px
>>17094522
I had two ridiculously close brushes with death last year, shouldn't have survived either one.
>mfw i didn't
>>
>>17094614
>i was high
>weird things happened
Woaw, so much paranormal there.
Stupid junkie.
>>
>>17094846
Maybe you are dead in two other universes. How ridiculously close were they? What happened?
>>
>>17094845
I was wondering why it wasn't working. Good eye. Will try again with an actual gun and report back.
>>
>>17094522
Well, I've been through many situations were i got of with almost no injuries or harm happening to my mind.
But a couple of years ago it was as if a color just disappeared from the world. The only way I can describe it is that it was a sort of mix between hot pink and purple.

But that might just be some sort of delusion/confirmation bias going on in my brain.
>>
File: challenger.jpg (440KB, 990x665px) Image search: [Google]
challenger.jpg
440KB, 990x665px
>>17094862
>dead in two other universes
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the same thing. Both were traffic related, and both would require a hell of a lot more typing than I can muster at this hour. If this thread is still floatin' around tomorrow I may write more. Suffice to say, each was a freak situation that I had no business surviving.

Both times I went through the whole time-slowdown, recognition of impending death, comfort with same, life flashbacks (sort of, not like in the movies), followed by a break in the action more or less -- almost a brief blackout? especially in comparison to the hypersensitive slowed time perception in the earlier moments -- and that, in turn, followed by "holy shit I'm still alive."

The notion of quantum immortality is most depressing.
>>
A magic gun wouldn't make you live forever.
You would die of old age.
And if you can live forever anyway quit dicking around with a gun and do something useful.
>>
what the fuck even is quantum suicide
>>
>>17095414
You hold a gun to your head and pull the trigger. There are two possibilities: the bullet comes out, or it doesn't. Now, imagine that the bullet never comes out. You keep pulling the trigger infinitely, but it never comes out.

Quantum suicide states that in said situation you'd live forever as long as you kept pulling the trigger. As >>17095410 said, I think it wouldn't work. But, as most things in /x/, nobody knows for sure.
>>
>>17095428
is this some kind of internet hoax to get dumb, gullible people to kill themselves?
>>
>>17095485
Not quite. It's more like Schrodinger's Cat 2: Electric Boogaloo.

You see, there are two chances: alive or dead. Considering a many-world interpretation, the person with the gun is alive in at least one universe. In at least one universe, the bullet never comes out, making the person immortal.

But yeah, it would be pretty dumb to try it in real life :P
>>
> Death is scary, so I'll just pretend that it doesn't exist.
>>
>SCHRODINGER his thought experiment was an attack on some ridiculous QM. Do you guys ever read books?
>>
>>17094919
I have something similar. For the last 20 years I have a feeling how I will die. When I drive I constantly have a though and image in my brain of a oncoming car colliding into me to the point of actually feeling it happen
>>
>>17095428
>There are two possibilities
you are disregarding the constant of life, your body will eventually breakdown no matter which of the above situations occur. You could win the luck lotto and pull the trigger 20k times but you will still grow old during the trigger pulling
>>
>>17095757
Can you into reading comprending
>>
I feel like this is the natural progression of solipsism.

If you are the quantum observer the universe ceases to exist without you from your own perspective.

Pretty sure that this means you are dead in those other universes, but rather hopping timelines or something like that, this timeline is "perfect' in that it is self consistent.
>>
>>17095498
So when I inevitably shoot myself I won't die? The Fuck kind of bullshit is that.
>>
>>17094522
>try to die after a trillion years
>can't bekuz /x/phile crackpot theory is true
>gun always jams
>car always stalls
>rope always breaks
Please..... please, just let me die.... I want to die....
>>
>>17094522
So at what age are we just incapable of defying death through this stupid fucking bullshit? I mean, eventually you're just going to literally fucking fall apart from old age, no matter how delusional you are.
>>
>>17094850
bed time home schooled
>>
>>17094522
I have killed myself before many times, I am still "alive"

I have also known people who are young that have died, it confuses me

God is a bro.
>>
It's like ordering pancakes at a wafflehouse.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAfee

Go look up his story. He lived in Belize for quite some time. What happened there?

This is very relevant to the thread.
>>
>>17099216
That dude was huge into bath salts. He owned majority shares in companies that produced the shit.

Keep that in mind when reading about his exploits.
>>
>>17099228

True, I won't deny that McAfee did a lot of drugs and shady business. At the same time he is still a perfect example of quantum mechanics at play.
>>
File: syLpClN.png (805KB, 1206x888px) Image search: [Google]
syLpClN.png
805KB, 1206x888px
>>17099236
But not really though? According to the quantum suicide theory, he would die from our perspective when he pulled the trigger but persist from his perspective no matter how many times he pulled the trigger.
>>
>>17099216
this is almost exactly what happened to me. i had been taking handfuls of adderall because i was living out of my car while visiting a friend in california. at the time i wasn't eating either but my friend received a bulk order of them in the mail. either way i pretty much had an intense anxiety attack where i felt like i couldn't breathe and tons of pressure and pain in my chest and rapid heart rate. called an ambulance. the attack was so sever i literally dropped my phone trying to dial just 911 and had to get my friend to do it for me. i was pretty sure i was a goner. i prayed to god not to let me die now. and then i sort of... came out of it and calmed down a few moments later. ambulance and firetruck showed up. said i had panic attack. i still feel like that's when i came into the berenstain universe. i dealt with a bunch of horrible symptoms after that too. muscle twitches and fatigue and nerve pain. also have a black dot that i sometimes see as well that moves when i move my eye. not sure if that information is relevant. i kinda wish i had died desu.
>>
>>17094894

Yeah. Chartreuse.
>>
>>17098584

2/10
>>
>>17094919
I have something similar too
>be mere grade schooler
>climb a really tall tree
>hang on a branch with my back facing the ground
>I slip
>then find myself crouching on the ground completely unharmed
I literally can't remember how I survived that, every time I try to remember the part after I slipped, its just completely blank not even blank or dark like closing my eyes literally just complete darkness no noise, nor thinking, when I try to remember its as if there was a missing specific timeframe between my slip and waking up crouching completely safe and sound
>>
File: McAfee.jpg (545KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
McAfee.jpg
545KB, 1920x1280px
>>17095428
>>17095485

>He keeps his eyes fixed on me and pulls the trigger a fifth time. Still nothing. With the gun still to his head, he starts pulling the trigger incessantly. "I can do this all day long," he says to the sound of the hammer clicking. "I can do this ten thousand times. Nothing will ever happen. Why? Because you have missed something. You are operating on an assumption about reality that is wrong."
>>
I sometimes consider suicide. Not because "muh life sucks," but mostly just to see what happens after. Sorta like for science, but only I know the outcome
>>
>>17094850
Wow. You're so cool and smart :^)
>>
>>17099689
Mfw the gun wasn't loaded
>>
>>17099710

Yea, obviously. The writer of the article was operating on the assumption that the gun was loaded. Clever McAfee.
>>
Quantum Immortality is retarded.
> You shoot yourself in the head
> The version that dies "goes in to" the version that doesn't die
> For some reason, this person with two "souls" still doesn't remember actually dying in one timeline

It doesn't even make sense.
>>
>>17101624
He doesn't have two souls, he only has 1. Think of it this way, every person in existence has their own universe where it is impossible for them to die. For all other people, they can perceive your death, as it can happen in your universe. But in your universe, you never die.
>>
>>17101693
So it's like Deja vu? Why the fuck is called "quantum"?
>>
>>17099197
This is so poignant...
>>
>>17099310
You have arrived into the universe of morbid depression, berenstain wording is just a negligible part.
>>
>>17099710
mfw you're too dense to realize you're the joke here
>>
>>17095428
Lol how gay there is literally infinite possibilities
>the gun fires and you die
>the gun fires and you become retarded and/or paralyzed forever
>a truck runs you over that you didn't even notice
>a meteor crashes down and shakes the earth causing you to shoot a bystander and spend the rest of life in prison
>the gun doesn't fire because you're a tard and left the safety on
>doesn't fire due to dud round
>doesn't fire because your hand cramps up
>another guy who was planning on robbing you shoots you before you can pull the trigger
>>
>>17094522
Wouldn't you're sense of immortality only last as long as the experiment? Immediately afterwards, you'd be in the middle of yet another infinite set of possibilities.
>>
>>17094837
Not understanding infinity
>>
>>17094522
ill just leave this here
http://www.wired com/2012/12/ff-john-mcafees-last-stand/
put a dot after wired
>>
>>17099710
the author watched him load it. please read article I posted.
>>
>>17094614
i had a similar experience, where i thought that police showed up after i smoked synth weed.
>i heard someone talking to them as if they had called the police there
>when i got up i thought they left to come back for some reason.
other than that, super conversations all around me for me to experience, and anime in japanese got dubbed into english perfectly in translation and intonation.
>>
>>17094522
>attempt to fire gun
>always fails somehow, jams, dud rounds, etc.
What if I do something that'll guarantee death like jumping out of a plane with no parachute several thousand feet up?
Will the door not open? Will someone pull me back before I jump? And if I do jump, is fucking Superman gonna come along and save me?
And if I can't an hero, then
>continue to age
>live forever?
Can someone explain this shit to me? Do you just eventually end up in a universe with some immortality medicine or age reversal technology?
Do you ascend to some other plane of existence where you live on as some immortal force?
>>
>>17105810

The more unlikely you become, the more unlikely the world becomes around you.
>>
>>17105810
>jumping out of a plane with no parachute several thousand feet up?

You know this has happened to a number of people, right? How about upping the ante - let's make it a pregnant person, and have both her and her fetus survive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shayna_Richardson
>>
>>17094522
>>17094522

Suck a dick nigger jew faggots. Because once your dead you will never have the chance to do that so you should go do it now..

get gud.
>>
>>17094522
OP have you seen that one episode from that Alan Wake Twilight Zone-like show which showcased about Quantum Immortality?
>>
>>17094522
quantum sucidie actually means that you actively try to never get born, e.g kill your grandfather back in time.
>>
>>17105810
read moers cpt. blue bear. there is a dude who tries to get that nasty "dying" part over with quickly and have it done before ending to live. but death tells him fuck you, i tell you when it's over.
>>
I don't get it
>>
So is the idea that when you "die" you die only in this Universe but life for you continues right along?
I've sort of thought about that, but like, what happens if I jump off a really tall building or just burn alive?
>>
>>17095428
You are 100% retarded.
What it says is that you CANNOT EXPERIENCE A TIMELINE IN WHICH YOU DIE. It's wrong because you're still going to die.
>>
>>17106649
You won't, because that would make you die. Free will isn't really a thing.
>>
> reality meme
Fuck this. You all eventually die be cause yeah lets assume you are unlucky/ not retarded and manage to kill yourself. in this theory SOMETHING will go wrong because it can, basically homicidal murphy's law, but yet what about old age? I legit want to understand that. And also, your consciousness goes into your non dead self? In other universes what happens to you when you die?
>>
Here's a cool short story that touches on this subject: http://www.tor.com/2010/08/05/divided-by-infinity/
>>
>>17099261
cant wait for him to die in a car accident or something to make moon moons tables flip
>>
I have a lil weird story for you /x/
>be me with 2 other friends
>take acid
>after like a few hours and the acid dying down we decide to go downtown on a friday night
>literally THOUSANDS of people
>oshitifeeleverything.mpeg
>come at an intersection with my friend driving
>bout to take left turn
>see a car come as soon as were turning
>looks like the car is heading right towards us
>feels as if time has slowed down and everyone on the street is looking/giving there attention to us as if something really big happened
>thought we got into a car accident
>actually just kept driving
>who knows maybe the driver killed someone that day
>>
File: sea-trenches.gif (112KB, 459x311px) Image search: [Google]
sea-trenches.gif
112KB, 459x311px
I just want you guys to know that you will in fact die if you try any of these things and you will not be coming back or going to any sort of alternate universe k thanks

I just want you guys to know that you will in fact die if you try any of these things and you will not be coming back or going to any sort of alternate universe k thanks

>>
>>17099261
i feel like shit like this gets young 4chan users killed.
>>
I like that Jet Li movie where he travels dimensions to kill each instance of himself he finds to grow more powerful.
>>
File: quantumcatwithbulletmethod.jpg (166KB, 826x775px) Image search: [Google]
quantumcatwithbulletmethod.jpg
166KB, 826x775px
You can test quantum suicide at home doing a modified version of the Schroedinger's cat experiment.

Put a cat in a box.
Shoot into the box.
The cat will be either ALIVE or DEAD until you open the box! You decide the cat's fate by deciding if or when you open the box.
>>
>>17094522
OP has a chester mustache
>>
I am confused by the theory, it implies the universe somehow decided he is using the gun.

What about accidental deaths?
>>
>>17107981
you will actually decide the fate of the cat when you shoot the gun leaving the box closed just means that either a dead cat or an alive cat is inside you may not know if it's alive or dead but it is one of them
>if a tree falls in the woods and no one's there to hear it are you still an idiot?
>>
What about old fucking age?

Nobody ever answers this question. So stfu, your theory is wrong
>>
>>17108079
your body wares out, than you die, however in another universe, your body isn't as worn out so you live on. how is that hard to understand?
>>
>>17094850
Heh this guy has clearly never done psychedelics.
>>
>>17108168
so infinite paralelle universes theory?
>>
>>17108168
Wait what? What if your in a hospital bed, you just lay there for infinity?
>>
>>17108195
im guessing that is correct but in another universe you're not in a hospital bed?
im just trying to understand this it's something i thought about before this whole "i may have died countless times before and the live im aware of is the one i live trough the longest"
>>
>>17108168
So everyone eventually enters a universe where they are unnaturally old and undying?
>>
File: Feelbad.png (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Feelbad.png
7KB, 225x225px
>tfw you're stuck in the universe where your dad died
>>
>>17108195
then you wake up from le scary dream as a young you.
>>
>>17094894
>>17099355
>hot pink and purple
Certain shades of magenta. Chartreuse is a nasty green shade.

And unfortunately, magenta is still a thing.
>>
>>17094522

I'm killing myself on my birthday this year. So, I guess we'll find out :^)
>>
>>17108296
According to this theory, everyone you know will die eventually because you are allowing that reality to happen.
>>
>>17108412
Well you will die for us. Just not yourself. I personally have some own life experiences with this theory that puts me on the line. I have done some serious things to kill myself but I am still here somehow.
>>
>>17108427

But will there be no way for me to again contact this, "realm," or, "plane," or whatever?
>>
>>17103707
Isn't the 'infinity' part of parallel universe consciousness controversial? (I have no idea how to say that without saying autistic as fuck)
Aren't parallel universes just the same until a choice/decision/whatever happens and then it splits and creates another parallel universe?
Than wouldn't that mean that the choices leading up to your parents having you are finite because there can be only so many choices/universes until your parents decide not to have you?
So wouldn't it be possible for all the "other yous" to die and you cease to exist in any universe?
>>
>>17106616
>go back in time
>kill your grandpa
>you've now never existed
>you weren't there to kill your grandpa
>as you are wiped from the timeline, your grandpa pops back into existence because you didn't exist on that timeline so that you could kill him

you would have to hire some one else to do it
>>
>>17108437
No, the theory is like teleportation in Star Trek, everytime they teleport, they kill themselves and create a copy, but never are concious of it and the orginal dies and the copy goes on.
>>
>>17108476
the grandfather paradox is a lie. revisions in a time line only occur after the change in the time line. by going back in time your insulated from any revision because you exist at ground zero. you were already born in order to go back and kill your grandfather in a point in time in which you shouldnt exist to begin with

think of it like a flim and frames of the film. if you show up frame 1028 and went to frame 10 and killed your grand father revisions occur from frame 11 to the end but your in frame 10
>>
>>17108476
The theory suggests if you went back in time it would never be your own timeline. Meaning you would be killing an infinite amount of Grandpas and future yous, but never you.
>>
>>17108479

But what is it that fails to observe this "hand-off," for lack of a better term? Some soul or otherwise immaterial and (generally speaking) immortal entity on some other, meta plane?

Because if that's the case, I would liken an act of quantum suicide more to the willful destruction of a vehicle; say, deliberately crashing your car, knowing that you need only crawl out of the wreckage and return to the lot to pick out a new one, with the condition that the intervening events will be wiped from your memory.

So there is no "branching" of the timeline, but rather a selection of a new one from all the (nearly-infinite) available choices.

So then why must you necessarily select the one most nearly coincident to the last-lived existence? Why do you have to maintain that semblance of continuity?

I hate Sunday nights.
>>
>>17107955
>young 4chan users
Found your problem right there.
>>
>>17108412
Report back :^) Just kidding, please don't commit suicide.
>>
>>17110135
I disagree. Please do. It'll totally work out for you.
>>
>>17094522
Go read Rant by Palahniuk
>>
>>17108417
What do you mean by "allowing" it to happen?
>>
>>17094850
This.
I see nothing paranormal
>>
>>17108047
Except in the case of shooting into a box, you will surely either hear a cat freaking out or a cat who just got fucking shot and is fucking dying.

The cat-in-a-box only works if you can't know anything inside the box. It's an interesting theory, but still... you need to know the fucking theory.
>>
File: image.jpg (574KB, 1111x642px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
574KB, 1111x642px
>>17094919

>they're still alive in this universe.
>>
>>17108079
>mfw I have brought this up infinite times in infinite universes on infinite /x/ boards over infinite years
>mfw I fucking proved quantum immortality through trying to disprove quantum immortality
>mfw there is absolutely no fucking face
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 500x357px
>>17110626
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 500x428px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 500x428px
>>17110631
>>17110626
>>
>>17108485
Or every time you time travel it leads to another time line.

Get on my level, faggot. I'm a summer fag.
>>
File: Untitled5.png (98KB, 269x217px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled5.png
98KB, 269x217px
>>17110626
>>
>>17108690
>i feel like shit like this gets young 4chan users killed.
>gets young 4chan users killed.
>getting young 4chan users killed is an issue
Found your problem right there.
>>
>>17110626
Sup /x/ btw...
>I have an absurd amount of time to find people who look like dead people so lets do this mofos
Citations, fagget.

>inb4 "zomg the alluminaughty dun let me post cuz of reasons"
>>
>>17110648
http://www.secretsofthefed.com/is-the-dead-challenger-crew-still-alive-and-well/
>>
>>17108427
This makes no sense when you think about this going on and on and on.

You're telling me everyone gets to live an immortal life thanks to quantum immortality?
>>
>>17110648
You sure got quiet after all of your bullshit bluster.
>>
>>17108039
Remember that time You were "almost" run over as a kid?
Maybe so.
>>
What do you think about quantum shitposting/ aka australiaposting?
>>
>>17108417
>>17110375
yeah i agree, what do you mean by allowing
>>
>>17110375
>>17108417

Yes, please, what do you mean by that?
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.