[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How immoral do you think it is to be a fraudulent psychic? If

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

How immoral do you think it is to be a fraudulent psychic? If someone is very good at cold reading, and takes on clientel for a profit, at one point is that person committing an immoral act? (In your opinion.)

Also, do you believe there are psychics, and does there being or not being genuine psychics effect your opinion on the first question?
>>
>How immoral do you think it is to be a fraudulent psychic?

Most people with half a brain know your typical "psychics" are fake and that it's just for fun. The gullible are likely to have their money taken from them in other ways, so it doesn't really matter.

>do you believe there are psychics

Possibly, but I'm sure they don't want to go around telling dumb teenagers about their love-life and shit like that. They probably keep a low profile lest they wind up as some experiment or tool of the government.

On a semi-related note, go watch the X-Files episode "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose".
>>
>>17091471
There's a difference between a psychic who charges $20 to tell you if you're really in love, and a psychic who claims to be able to contact your recently deceased mother for $200.

That's a great point about real psychics, although I'm sure at least one would volunteer for testing. And, I will watch that, I really need to get into the x files.
>>
>>17091459
If you believe any psy-kek that wants your money you get what you deserve.
>>
>>17091459
Is it moral to tell someone diagnosed with cancer a comforting lie to the tune of "The spirits tell me that the cancer will not kill you. That'll be $200, please.", especially if it leads to them refusing treatment and dying because some prick lied to them and charged them a large sum of money to do so?
>>
>>17091486
>There's a difference between a psychic who charges $20 to tell you if you're really in love, and a psychic who claims to be able to contact your recently deceased mother for $200.

My point remains the same, but I get what you mean. Yes, it is shady and unethical as hell to prey upon the grieving like that, but when people are so desperate for answers they will shell out large amounts of cash to someone they should know better than to trust, what do you do? Can you pass laws to "regulate" psychics?

>That's a great point about real psychics, although I'm sure at least one would volunteer for testing. And, I will watch that, I really need to get into the x files.

A word of advice, most of it is good up until about seasons 5 or 6, then it tanks. First movie is pretty good, second one is shit. I'm hoping they don't screw up this new mini series.
>>
There maybe are "psychics." Look at the man the Pentagon calls "Yoda" real name Andrew Marshall. His predictions single handedly shaped US foreign policy for the last 40 years and were scarily accurate. Things like the exact year the soviet union would collapse, or the inevitable escalation of stockpiling nuclear armaments that would never be used. How about China becoming one of our strongest Allies. Keep in mind he said this during a time when China was still one of the soviet unions greatest fucking allies lol.
>>
>>17091459
Deliberately choosing to fraud and deceive people is immoral. That's really fucking low.

This is compounded by who is chosen as the victims of the scam: grieving loved ones trying to adjust to a probably recent death. There is a vulnerability there that choosing to exploit is especially heinous. It takes a rather sick person to even contemplate doing this line of work. The kind of person who looks at a couple who's young child was just got killed by a drunk driver and thinks 'alright, gonna make a lot of money here' deserves a special spot in hell.

There is so much out there that remains unknown. But people who decide to willingly obfuscate that unknown further through deception are deplorable. You are effectively choosing to broadcast ignorance, champion stupidity, and deter otherwise beneficial truth seekers.

Tl;dr? Go fuck yourself you useless piece of shit.
>>
>>17091504

There are so many other things he managed to predict and advise on but the man is shrouded in secrecy. I'd advise everyone to research him.
>>
>>17091514
Why are you assuming OP is a fraudulent psychic instead of just asking opinions?
>>
>>17091486
>I'm sure at least one would volunteer for testing.
There's still a one million dollar reward up for grabs to anyone who can demonstrate ANY psychic ability under controlled conditions. The fact that nobody has come forward to claimed it yet should tell you everything you need to know.
>>
>>17091471

>Most people with half a brain know your typical "psychics" are fake and that it's just for fun.

That's emphatically not true. These are people in hideous situations, people in mourning of a loved one, and these people charge them up to the hundreds to 'talk' to their recently deceased spouses. They totally, utterly destroy the grieving process and stand in the way of the truth, and they do this knowingly in order to profit from the vulnerable.
>>
>>17091532
Except that man is a dick who has no intention of ever parting with that reward. Mind you, I'm not claiming he's run into any real psychics and turned them down, but he's basically an IRL version of those trolls who come here to say "hurr durr paranormal doesn't real".
>>
>>17091459
You are falsely representing yourself in order to make a profit. That is deception. Immoral.
>>
File: p0105151040.png (99KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
p0105151040.png
99KB, 250x236px
>>17091532
You can rob a bank, catch a fortune with humans-magnets. Of course, you can guess, is a simply natural use of gravitation waves, but science know nothing about them now, and nobody care, is possible say that is "psychic ability" and rob a bank.
>>
>>17091541
Anon, I have lost many people in my lifetime and I still grieve over them. Never once did I think to go throw money at some fake-ass gypsy gazing into a crystal ball, or any other type of supposed psychic. Unless these people are actively stalking funerals or seeking out the bereaved, which should be a crime, this can all be chalked up to gullible and/or desperate people making unwise decisions. If they personally believe in an afterlife and that another human being has the ability to help them reach beyond the veil, and are willing to give them money, then they share at least part of the blame. If you're worried, do your part to prevent your loved ones from being scammed. Just help talk sense into them. I'm starting to think that's why you started this thread.
>>
>>17091514
Why am I piece of shit? I never claimed I had psychic powers.

>>17091568
No, that's not why I started this thread. I just wanted to hear the opinions of people who actually believe in the paranormal. (I'm surrounded by very skeptical people in my day to day)
>>
>>17091492
Just because a scam is easily avoided doesn't mean the scammer has some sort of moral high ground, he's still a piece of shit.
>>
>>17091609
>I just wanted to hear the opinions of people who actually believe in the paranormal. (I'm surrounded by very skeptical people in my day to day)

Well, I'm both. I believe in the possibility of the paranormal, but I'm probably too much of a skeptic for your taste.
>>
>>17091568

I didn't start the thread, nor have I had any personal problem with loved ones being scammed.

And no it's not really theirs to blame either, a doctor tells you he's certified to treat you because he's been certified by the study, and laws, and regulations, that dictate what is and what isn't healthcare. This is concrete.

Your foots falling off, you're gonna go to a doctor.

These people claim to be spiritual doctors, that they can speak to the dead undeniably, but there are no laws and regulations surrounding such a claim; as such it gives way to all sorts of quackery and spinsters preying on vulnerable victims. It's just another kind of con.

Why you wouldn't go to the surgery where the doctor hits at all your nerves till they reach the achey one and say 'here's my money' and continue to tug on that nerve because 1) this causes pain to the patient and 2) nothing is being fixed but the doctors wallet
>>
>>17091632
That sounds like the boat I'm in. I think it is very unlikely, but I sometimes wonder about it, and find it interesting.
>>
>>17091633
Your comparison is flawed, anon. Doctors have to study and be licensed to practice their craft, psychics do not. The medical industry is regulated, as you said. If a doctor makes a false claim and someone suffers because of it, he can be sued. Medical science can, for the most part, be proven. Psychic ability cannot, it's a matter of personal belief. It would be a more accurate comparison if you made an example of a person going to a priest or other religious leader who claimed they could heal or bless that person, yet nothing happened. That's a better comparison. How do you regulate belief? How can you stop someone from becoming a sucker other than to teach critical thinking?

And since you seem to believe otherwise, I'll say again that yes, it's a shady, immoral practice to pretend to be a psychic to gain money off grieving people, but you can't prove if they're phoney or legitimate in the first place. If you really want to tackle this issue, go work on signing petitions or passing laws to try to regulate psychic businesses, but I doubt you'll have much luck with that.
>>
>>17091459
I'm guessing, and this is just a pure guess. That they are really good guessers. Actually it's an art as old as human society. Before they used to cut chickens open and read the entrails and atleast you'd get a nice chicken dinner at the end. Now you just get false hope. They read body language, use suggestion to gain information and relay it back to the person that gave it to them. It's an art form that's for sure. And to be good, and have some sort of success rate, it'd probably take a lot of work and energy. Not to mention self delusion. So do they deserve money? I say if people are willing to pay for this false hope, then let them take the suckers money. Like I said, probably a lot of work to become "good" at it.
>>
>>17091668

The doctor says I can treat you, we break a foot we go to them, and we are fixed, and the doctor is paid.

The medium says I can speak to the dead, our loved ones die and we go to them, the dead aren't spoken to, and the medium is paid.

>but you can't prove if they're phoney or legitimate in the first place.

And that is where there is room for abuse. These mediums say 'even if I am lying, the patient is still benefiting' that is not true, and that is a word against the spirit they say they channel, because the spirit would not lie because it does not need to.

In the same way a doctor does not send his patient away with a broken foot and some painkillers.
>>
>>17091698
I'm not sure what answer you're hoping to get here. We're basically on the same page, except you're holding the misguided belief that psychics can somehow be compared to doctors and thus held to the same standard, which is ludicrous for all the reasons I've just explained. I've been as clear as I can and if you don't understand that, there's no point in discussing this any further with you.
>>
>>17091698
You can't compare a doctor and a psychic. Like someone said its better to compare them to priests who claim to know the intentions of "God" or claim to know what happens when you die. Most of these people have deluded themselves and actually believe they have spiritual authority. They are sick people. Doctors aren't sick people. They cure them
>>
>>17091715
>>17091727

Look past the symbols brothers don't get hung up on the doctor thing, exchange doctor with dentist or shop assistant if you're be more comfortable with that comparison.

Speaking to the dead, I'd imagine it's a pretty big deal.

You speak of priests etc. but priests don't charge people to speak to the dead on the pretense that it's not entirely provable whether they can actually speak to people's dead relatives or not. There is a huge difference between mediums and priests in terms of their belief, attitude and approach. Mediumship run as a capital venture is more comparable to the store clerk or the doctor than it is to the priest.
>>
>>17091761
I'm a doctor-psychic and I'd like to help you, anon, but I'm afraid you have a terminal case of The Dumb. Now gimme twenty dollars.
>>
>>17091727
I once met with a father when my grandmother was dying. She was on her deathbed and I asked her if she wanted a priest or father to come to her. I went to the local church to see the father. I spoke with him and told him how my grandmother was dying and how she was a "sister" when she was younger and was very religeous. I told him I'm not a religeous person but I believe in God. I said I consider myself more spiritual. He told me he considers himself more spiritual than religeous and sometimes can't stand "religeon" and all the "beourocracy" that comes with it. I told him that I have my own personal relationship with God, I said this with truth and conviction in my voice. After those words left my mouth his demeanour changed totally. It's like I scared him. I looked into his eyes and I swear they were black. He didn't want to look me in the eye and kept fiddling with his computer and things. Asking me my grandmothers name and beliefs, her condition, my address, how long i thought she had. Things like that. He was very uneasy and hurried me out. I donated a large amount with the administrators as a show of gratitude. Guess what? After promising me he would make it within 2 days, I didn't get a call, my mother didn't ( I gave him her number) and he didn't show up. No call, no nothing. Now, was that immoral? To leave a dying old lady to die without religious closure? To take my money and lie to me? To, as I took it, probably try to hit on me? He really seemed evil and after I said something like "I know who my God is" " he knows who I am", he was petrified. I could sense it straight away. Are these the acts of a good person? A moral person? Now thinking about it I might make a thread about this experience. I've thought about going back to confront him but I know, he knows. He'll have to deal with his God sooner or later because I know, God knows too
>>
>>17091761
No, priests ask you for donations and tell you how to live so you don't go to "hell". A shop assistant, dentist or any other you mentioned provide a physical, measurable service. How can you think the false hope provided by a psychic is any different to the false hope a priest gives you when he tells you, "yes, you will go to heaven. Because I know"
>>
>>17091761
Confirmed. Dilluded, religeous fag
>>
>>17091847

WOw nice crock of bullshit you steamed up there.
>>
As is said, there is the possibility of psychic powers existing but they would certainly not be used to tell john dick and Harry if their late aunt was still peeved at them. The government has experimented with psychics before and there is very strong evidence that they may still be using a very small number. But if, by any small chance, psychics were to exist, there would be no way in hell they would be allowed roam free.
>>
>>17091864

Priests are considered carriers of Gods word as brought down by the Abrahamic faiths. Usually a Christian community will provide so that they can have a church, a place to worship together, and appoint a bearer of Gods word to lead the worship. The community builds the church, the same people who provide for the church believe the church provides for them. The church doesn't demand cash from them, nor does it try to offer people false services.
>>
sorry to interrupt the thread, just wondering if anyone knows why almost every thread is being deleted on /x/
>>
>>17091909

Because the alphabet soup agency's are perusing the threads.
>>
>>17091878
Honest to God truth. My grandmother died last November. If you are religeous. Notice how you recognise his authority straight away and defend it because you believe. If you are this fag>>17091761
Notice how long my comment is. I commented this >>17091864
After I posted that long comment and refreshed. Your comment wasn't even there. I don't attack people's belief or faith but this is my experience. The church uses fear to coheres belief. Blind faith. This is something I've known for a long time. You can believe what you want to belive but this was ONE MAN. Not your whole religeon. How could anyone disagree with Jesus's General message? Love, forgiveness. I agree totally. And I'm not saying all men of faith are bad. I have met some that make me feel shameful because of how good and righteous they are. They help a lot of people. How could I disagree with that?
>>
>>17091909

Mods are going slowly insane
>>
>how immoral
>fraudulent

you still need to ask?
>>
>>17091916

Perhaps your grandmother died, but perhaps you're still using her death to tell a lie against God.

That's dodgy stuff man. But be it be I guess.

I'm not going to argue your very generalized opinions because you give little starting point. Your critiques of the religion are grade-school level.

Priests aren't there to put your neck on a leash and drag you around, but are there to be an appointed authority on the word brought down by God and believed in by many. You're supposed to read the word of God and learn what it means by a personal relationship between Him and you, and by living life, not just to be told it by a priest. Communities like and enjoy that, they share the priest. Though lesser by the day. The Christian church as a force grows weaker and youth in Europe, where they would have once turned to Christianity, find that Islam is the most active and impassioned group-community and you especially find this in the urbanized areas where people are most compact and diverse. But I digress I'm sure.
>>
>>17091904
The majority of people are no longer illiterate like the dark ages and can read gods word for themselves. It is the most published book in history. Not like you can't find one. A priest interpretes the word of God for people who can't understand it. So, he is interpreting the intentions of God. Not cool. Just because people think someone else knows more than they do ie: psychic talking to the dead. Doesn't mean some other person should pretend like they have an ability to understand more than we do
>>
>>17091944
Priests aren't there to put your neck on a leash and drag you around, but are there to be an appointed authority on the word

Just like a psychic is an authority on communicating with the dead. The defining word is authority. Your words not mine
>>
>>17091944
BTW I'm not telling any lies. Like I saud, I know my god. My god knows me. He is good and righteous. He doesn't need me to go to a building every Sunday to show my love for him
>>
>>17091964

Alright kid I'm sure it's fine, just try to not do it again; He takes it quite serious from what I've learned.

>>17091956

If a psychic finds they really can talk to strangers dead relatives, and are in need of money, is it wrong that they let out that service?

Is there at all a free psychic? What is a free psychic or medium but a madman! And doesn't that just complete the picture for you.

But if they say it, that they can talk to your dead relatives, and it is a fraud, that is between them and God only, and it is also against the spirit they profess to be speaking through. No god can surely come from that.
>>
>>17092001
Same person mate. I don't want to chalkenge you faith anyways. If it makes you a good person, it can only be good. But please don't call me a liar and I'll extend you the same gratitude. Let's not argue anymore. You have your beliefs, I have mine. And yes I agree with you. That's why I said I'm not going to confront him. I belive in God. He'll have to deal with his God on that matter. But it was my grandmother. I didn't like it very much that he pretty much deserted her when she needed comfort
>>
>>17092014

Fair enough bud I won't call you a liar again.
>>
Anyone who commits deception upon his fellow man for personal gain, be they members of the clergy, politicians, fake psychics, gurus or shaman, etc. is no better than the basest of beasts and deserves to be treated as one.

Only by conquering our selfish DNA driven instincts can we hope to rise above.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.