[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good books/movies /x/ would recommend?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

File: download.jpg (5KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 274x184px
any decent books you guys like?
best /x/ related movies?
>>
>>17087863
I saw someone in the "ancient tunnels" thread the other day mentioning a couple of books that sounded decent but I can't remember much about them. one was called Descent or something but I don't remember the authors name and there's loads of stories with that title.
>>
bump because am faget
>>
>>17087863

Dont know how far up /x/-alley this one is, but one of my all time favorites is Azzazel by Isaac Asimov.
Its more comedy than anything, but it is a really nice, short read with supernatural shenanigans.
>>
>>17087863
Anything by Ray Bradbury, Issac Assimov or Orson Scott Card. I have yet to read anything from any of those guys that I didn't like.

Bradbury's the easiest to start with, because most of his shit is either short stories or a conglomeration of shorts. I love his venus story, one of my all-time favorites.
>>
>>17087874
Here's the thread.

>>17060219
>>
Currently reading
>''Let The Old Dreams Die'' by John Avijde Lindqvist,
author of ''Let The Right One In'', it's a collection of short stories
> AND THEY ARE ALL BRILLIANTLY DISCONCERTING.
Also read;
>''NEVERWHERE'' by Neil Gaiman, a comic/ graphic novel.
It's abpout the lady Door and her companions, Richard M from London above (regular London), and they all go to London Below, a bizarre , dystopian, nightmarish yet creepily fabulous place. Highly recommended.
Also check out...
> ''WHITEOUT'' written Greg Rucka, and drawn by Steve Lieber, winner of the 2007 Eisner award
a high accolade in the comic world, apparently).
About Carrie Stetko and Lily Sharpe, an English spook (MI5) in Antarctica, not paranormal, like the others, but fucking great nonetheless.
and the
> ''BZRK'' series (trilogy) by John Grant, about nanobots and biots, and the Grey Goo scenario (which is a REAL scenario, ecophagy, scary as fuck) the ''Plague of Madness'' unleashed , deffo worth reading.
And vintage....
> Ira Levin, ''Rosemary's Baby'', bloody brilliant hey.
>>
>>17090175
bump
>>
>>17090329
>>17090175
I like the sound of neverwhere, where you get it?
>>
COME ON /X/ YOU DO LIKE TO read DON'T YOU?!!
>>
>>17090376
I got it from the library, cos I go there a lot being the bibliophile that I am, (AKA ''bookworm'', aka ''nerd'', aka FOKOF, EN HOU JOU BEK!)
but you can get it on AMAZON or ebay or the book depository, or your local bookshop can order it in for you.
>>
>>17090385
yes, I'm an /x/phile
>>
>>17090175
Lindvquist is good alright, isn't john grant an YA author?
>>
>>17090419
thank Goddess! was starting to think there was no one else other than a v few who read, an no, enterainment weekly/national enquirer/sunday broadsheets don't count.
So Anon, who do you like, be it paranormal or not.
>>
Books:
North American Lake Monster
Thomas Ligotti Penguin Reader
Occultation
The Wide Carnivorous Sky
Black Burnt Suns
>>
>>17090450
Yeah, but the whole way it's written, it's very good, gruesome in parts, the nonobots ''biots'' thing, jissus.
>>
>>17090523
Cheers, anon, who is the first one by?

and durr cos I
meant to say NANO bots
>>
World War Z was good.
don't laugh plz but is ''I Am Leg-End'' a book?
>>
I'm more into those serial books like Dresden Files, Laundry Files, Repairman Jack, Monster Hunter International, Shadow Ops, Grimnoir Chronicles, maybe some more.
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 560x822px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 560x822px
>>17087863
I started a thread for this. Free and a nice short read

http://www.checktheevidence.com/pdf/The%20Smoky%20God.pdf
>>
>>17090586
'Scuse my ignorance, but what are they about?
>>
>>17090618
cheers...what's it about, in a nutshell?
>>
>>17090632
Hollow earth. One of the earliest accounts. Written in 1900's
>>
>>17090624
They're all novel series, mostly action/thrillers with a touch of supernatural, just google them and pirate them off the internet.
Some of them already finished.

Dresden Files- wizard PI
Laundry Files- MI5 meets x-files
Repairman Jack- renegade problem solver vs monsters and some old apocalypse conspiracy
Monster Hunter International- what do you expect from the name
Shadow Ops- soldiers with superpowers
Grimnoir Chronicles- magic+noir
>>
>>17090632
Actually. It was published 1908. But the account comes from around 1820's- 30's I think
>>
>>17087863
The Bible and the Qur'an
>>
>>17090175
>author of ''Let The Right One In"
I'm listening and gonna check out your other suggestions, much appreciated.
>>
>>17090385
>fuckton of suggestions posted
>zomg y u no read /x/
Why? I didn't think the suggestions were bad at all.
>>
>>17090410
>being the bibliophile that I am
God I feel like such a normalfag... I've been signed up for my local university for like over 10 years so that I can take advantage of their library for practically nothing. /x/philes don't even know where it's at.
>>
>>17090468
Not him, but plenty of what I read was already posted ITT... /x/ has a ton of authors that are totally unappreciated because their not close enough to crazy or sane... really, they have to either be super sane (tons of citations n shit, basically historical text with half the book being citations) in their writing or super tinfoil (absolutely no citations, hopefully something referring to something PERMANENTLY lost in the pyramids and in Atlantis), or no one cares.

Our best authors are not even sponsored by /x/... Just kill me.
>>
I like to read skeptic books debunking stuff
>>
List of fiction

For conspiracy stuff:
iillumatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
The invisibles (comic) by grant Morrison)

Paranormal stuff:
"Head Fulll of Ghosts" by Paul Tremblay
"Broken monsters" by Lauren Beukes

Gothic/creepy:
"the unicorn" by Iris Murdoch
"Morpho Eugenia"(novella found in short story collection "angels & insects") by A.S. Byatt

Surreal Horror:
"like a velvet glove cast in iron" (comic) by Daniel Clowes
"Black Hole" (comic) by Charles Burns
"The Western Lands" by William Burroughs
>>
File: 1445935702442.jpg (75KB, 679x679px) Image search: [Google]
1445935702442.jpg
75KB, 679x679px
>>17087863
Aldous Huxley, Alan Watts, Terrence Mckenna, Graham Hancock, Three Initiates, Manly P Hall, Scott Onstott, Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Robert A Wilson,

topics; philosophy, alchemy, hermeticism, psychology, science, shamanism, gnosis, history, ancient civilisations, the natural world.

I enjoy these authors and others like them, their knowledge has been very beneficial. If you want to rec similar I'd appreciate it.
>>
>>17090410
Naas boet
>>
>>17090523

These are great recs, and very contemporary. Barron, Ballingrud, and Langan are three of the best short horror fiction writers in the game. Another is Stephen Graham Jones.

For novels, I'll also throw in three of my favorites, Naomi's Room by Aycliffe, Floating Dragon by Peter Straub, and The Mind Parasites by Colin Wilson.
>>
I like John Dies at the End, and the sequel

Never get to talk about it though, it's too middle brow for /lit/, and no one on /x/ likes it.
>>
Good authors, Vonnegut, Sartre, Kafka. I especially recommend the sirens of titan by Kurt Vonnegut. Its my favorite book ever, and it's great science fiction. sartre"s nausea was a great read that made my spine tingle. And Kafka, well, he's where the term Kafkaesque comes from.
>>
>>17090410
Je net jou...
>>
File: 1404715733178.jpg (203KB, 1117x1167px) Image search: [Google]
1404715733178.jpg
203KB, 1117x1167px
>no one has posted these yet

Come on, every /x/phile should read them, no matter what age.
>>
lekker thread.
>>
>>17092019
I love those books. :)
>>
The Spirits Book.
>>
>>17091069

>Aldous Huxley, Alan Watts, Terrence Mckenna, Graham Hancock, Three Initiates, Manly P Hall, Scott Onstott, Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Robert A Wilson,

Essential Green Pill, good recs anon.
>>
>>17093253
what's it about? all books have their own merit. if the snobs on lit don't like it cos it's not highbrow enough, says more about them. ''oh I'm not prithee to such lowbrow novellas''...ag, forsooth, they can ask me pissflaps.
>>
>>17092221
jou praat .... ?
>>
File: 1426809369864.jpg (258KB, 772x932px) Image search: [Google]
1426809369864.jpg
258KB, 772x932px
>>
File: biographyofyogi.jpg (43KB, 420x679px) Image search: [Google]
biographyofyogi.jpg
43KB, 420x679px
>>17091069
>>17087863

`Autobiography of a Yogi. ` by Yogananda is the most /x/ IRL book I have ever read. A few years ago I wouldn't have believed a great deal of the stuff he talks about in there but recent experience has now led me to believe otherwise.

The Richard Wilhelm edition of the I Ching is also God-tier but in a very different way.
>>
The book called "The Smoky God" is a good read.

It's a story about 2 sailors that find an entrance to a "hollow earth" in the antarctic.
>>
>>17087863
>>17095552
>Not the Newcronomicon
Also, All of H.P. Lovecraft"s books/stories. The Call of Cthulu, Dagon, etc.
>>
Really good suggestions so far. I'll add:
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.
The Illustrated Man by Bradbury
The Stand by Stephen King
Stepford Wives by Ira Levin
>>
>>17095777
I don't care what people say about Stephen King but the Stand is fucking God-tier.
>>
I have no mouth and I must scream; Harlan Ellison
>>
Really good books:
The Celestine Prophecy
A separate reality
>>
Anyone got some decent movie recommendations that aren't super "mainstream?"

My sister asked for some horror blu-rays for christmas and I'd like some ideas.
>>
File: 20151217_204156.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151217_204156.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>17087874
This one? It's "The Descent" by Jeff Long.

It sounds like what you described. I haven't read it yet though. Pic related is the back cover.
>>
Anybody read The Magicians series?

Looks like it's been made into a tv show.

It's like Narnia+Harry Potter only somehow made boring.
>>
"What Is History" by E.H. Carr - a series of essays by a historian which I think is one of the best introductions to philosophy (strangely enough) and critical thinking. "The Problems of Philosophy" by Bertrand Russell is similar - a very concise introduction to fundamental philosophical questions some of which have remained the same (and more or less not conclusively answered) throughout the history of human thought.

"An Anthology of Erotic Prose" by Derek Parker - a really amazing look at sex from many often widely varying perspectives. Not for the faint of heart.

"On Nietzsche" by Georges Bataille - no need to understand or have an interest in Nietzsche, although it might be a challenging read if you're not a natural at more obscure thinking. "River" is another similar book by Ted Hughes consisting of poetry inspired by his experiences in the natural world. Also "John Thomas and Lady Jane".
>>
>>17090573
"I Am Legend" is a book, or it might be a graphic novel.
>>
>>17091069
Jung has written a lot on alchemy and he wrote his own Gnostic text "The Seven Sermons to the Dead". You might also like Blake, he wrote some really interesting stuff "Proverbs of Hell" I particularly recommend as an easy way to read some of his stuff.
>>
>>17101213
that whole Krppin/Crispr thing though , jissus.
>>
Did you even look at the sticky?
>>
Movie: The Truman Show

Book: Spiritual Enlightenment, The Damnedest Thing - Jed Mckenna
>>
File: House-of-Leaves-Cover.jpg (7KB, 300x440px) Image search: [Google]
House-of-Leaves-Cover.jpg
7KB, 300x440px
House of Leaves. It's like getting your own private X-File. People are *still* finding Easter eggs in it.
>>
>>17102862
>Movie: The Truman Show

Not really /x/ in the traditional sense, but still pretty good.
>>
Dean Koontz - from the corner of his eye

Not paranormal until like the 2nd act. Great book.
>>
File: as4.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
as4.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Here are some movies I watched during Spooktober that I thought were pretty good.

Noroi
>Japanese mockumentary that presents itself as a compilation of footage found at the remains of a burned down house that belonged to a paranormal investigator who is currently missing; 3.5/5
Lake Mungo
>Australian mockumentary revolving around a family's discovery of what appears to be images of their deceased daughter in several photographs; 4/5
Altered States
>scientist experiments with his own humanity by entering a sensory deprivation chamber while under the influence of a psychoactive tincture called ayahuasca; 5/5 (pic related)
Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County
>American mockumentary showing home video of a Thanksgiving dinner being interrupted by alien invaders that managed to fool quite a number of people in believing it was real; 3.5/5
Pontypool
>War of the Worlds inspired virus movie with a focus on language and communication; 3/5
Suspiria
>classic giallo style horror with lots of mystery; 5/5
Under the Skin
>ScarJo is an ayylmao; 4/5
>>
The Big Book series is nice.
I like the one on urban legends.
>>
>>17102927
>House of Leaves
>>17095777
>House of Leaves

any decent /x/-phile who likes being spooked (for real) needs to read this ASAP. Awesome, creepy, exciting and weird and scary book.
>>
>>17105721
Last I checked, half of /x/ loves it and half hate it. I myself don't feel like bothering from what I know of it.
>>
>>17095680

You read my mind anon >>17090618
>>
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned. the Missing 411 series by David Paulides
>>
>Ctrl + f
>Mothman
>no results

How come no one mentioned the book Mothman Prophecies yet
Not only is it probably the most complete telling of the events of Point Pleasant, it also brings up countless other alien reports such as FBI.
It also brings up some theories regarding aliens
>>
>>17090918

You should try reading this once. http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/
>>
>>17090573

It's a book by Richard Matheson that was later made into a pretty good Charlton Heston flick, The Omega Man.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.