[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a difference between psychic abilites or powers and magic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: PsychicAbilitySymbolism1.jpg (80KB, 525x340px) Image search: [Google]
PsychicAbilitySymbolism1.jpg
80KB, 525x340px
Is there a difference between psychic abilites or powers and magic?
>>
No, not practically, since neither exist.
>>
>>17079986
Most magic is brought about by what is considered psychic power, atleast at some level.
>>
File: 1444735025002.jpg (20KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1444735025002.jpg
20KB, 413x395px
>>17080037
>>
>>17080025
both do. like the OP's pic says. it is simply another muscle, one we once used, but with christainity , etc, it became taboo, and over the centuries, from taboo to ''not real''.
once you practice, exercise the muscle, it will come back, become stronger. it is the way forward.
we could get implants to talk with each other, or simply work at reopening our third eye. once one opens ones mind, it is simpler than you might imagine.
>>
File: 1444759699803.jpg (21KB, 567x567px) Image search: [Google]
1444759699803.jpg
21KB, 567x567px
>>17080052
Excuse me?
>>
>>17080052
>it is simpler than you might imagine.
I could hear this a thousand times and never get it.

It really is as easy as accepting the possibility.
>>
>>17080052
And how do you "exercise" it ?
>>
>>17080069
That sounds cool and all, but I would like to see a demonstration or evidence.
>>
>>17080072
just trust your instinct/gut feelings/intuition.
for things like meditations, etc, and crystals-yes, they DO work- moonstone would be good for you, wear near your chest if possible (on a cord/in a pocket, etc) , and check out guided meditations on youtube, ones that talk you through it. the pineal gland will respond.
>>
>>17080080
Let's say you walk into a room where the experiment is happening. You see two people, both total strangers. One closes their eyes and names a color. The other exclaims, "Yeah! That's the one!" They open their eyes and the other closes theirs. After a short pause, the one with their eyes closed names an animal. This goes on in a cycle for nearly an hour, each "guessing" the name of some random thing. It's not always a color, shape, animal, or anything you can put a pattern to. It very much seems to be psychic interaction simply because you get the impression that they're not faking it and giving false confirmations every single time.

So you be the judge: Not being in either of their minds, do you think they're yanking your chain or are they legit and you're just not tuned in enough to recognize it?

There is literally nothing I can show you that you can't dismiss as RP if you weren't the other participant. You can always, ALWAYS assume everyone is lying. The only one you have a chance of not accusing of lying is yourself. And even then, if you're not ready to accept the possibility that you just shared a psychic connection with another person, you can even accuse yourself of lying, or think that your mind was just playing tricks on you or that it was a fluke or any number of other explanations your mind can come up with to deny it.

And even more unsettling, imagine sitting in a room with someone like me and every single time you have a thought, I voice it aloud for all to hear. Sure, it's just you and me there, but you don't yet have any reason to believe I couldn't do it in public if I wanted to.

There's a fine line between lies, evidence, and just fucking up someone's psyche for the rest of their life. If you want evidence, make yourself ready to participate in its production. Anything else is just a waste of everyone's time and interpretation.
>>
>>17080176
Where would I be able to experience this for myself?

And remember, plenty of people can accomplish these things, and they admit that it is all in the psychology. If those two strangers had never met, and were doing this with each other completely covered up, then it would be evidence enough, however the mind is simply to easy to read by mundane means for it to be proof of magic if both can observe the mannerisms of the other.

Can you see my dilemma?
>>
>>17080216
It goes without saying that I can see your dilemma.

Using science to justify the Barnum effect is totally valid. I'm not gonna lie and say statistics can't be used to create primitive predictive models of abstract phenomenona.

Now explain how rare psychological knowledge isn't paranormal in the context of our evolutionary psychology. Explore the science behind defining "the norm."

The trick is to experience the paranormal without giving yourself one of the very many and very well known and well documented mental disorders.
>>
>>17080260
What are some things you can do with your abilitites or whatever you call them?
>>
>>17080216
yes, I can, sceptism is a natural reflex to the unknown, for many different reasons. we don't want to be seen as foolish by believing in nonsense, so that part of our brains tells us it's ''not real'', but we need to edit that, open our minds.
I'm not saying that in a way like you are closed minded, I can tell by your replies you are open to possibilities. just trust that part of yourself and go with it, and the world around you will go accordingly, like synchronisty ...seeing ''patterns'', like the same numbers all the time, if that makes sense? at the moment, I keep seeing ''333'' everywhere, books, clocks, online, etc.
stuff like that, thinking of someone you haven't seen for ages, then bumping into them. that's what I mean by the world reacting around you accordingly.
>>
>>17080260
You need to clear up some of that shit mate

>Rare physiological knowledge

Are you talking about the metaphysical nature of knowledge? I agree that existence itself is to a logical extent paranormal, however something transcending our perceived reality has yet to be revealed to me.
>>
>>17080291
Are you suggesting that their is a framework and that our minds can alter it, or that reality responds directly to thoughts without action, and without resistance?

These are very vague terms.
>>
>>17079986
No, if its real at all then it would all be the same thing.
>>
>>17080389
Such def people include the greatest minds of our century.
>>
>>17080281
Personally? I just shitpost. I don't get out much.
>>
>>17080430
Carl Segan, Adolf Hitler, Chairman Mao, Barney the Dinosaur, Josef Stalin, Donald Trump, and /pol/

Checkmate atheists.
>>
>>17080316
>I agree that existence itself is to a logical extent paranormal, however something transcending our perceived reality has yet to be revealed to me.
Alright, then you're halfway there. Understanding the paranormal just means finding the "hole" in the statistics of reality. You should find it statistically likely that you haven't encountered the paranormal "edge" of reality unless you've explicitly searched for it.

>>17080326
Vague terms are often literal in the context of meta.

Do you think most practitioners of this sort of stuff care if the "structures" that make it possible are of explicit design or just some passive trait of reality?

If it works, it works. Nobody really needs to know why so long as it does.
>>17080393
(The catch is that it's not always easy to accept.)
>>
>>17080445
Nah. Im in a mumble with a /pol/acks and we can all vibe and read each other sometimes.

Theyre both latently homosexual and Im working with a theory that almost all of /pol/ is actually gay and just horribly repressed, causing dysfunction.
>>
>>17080471
I am the first two guys by the way. I'll put on a trip.

I understand what you mean by holes, however there is only one that I can find, and that is universal genesis. Are their any other "obvious" ones?

Sure, if you are dealing with a vague concept, vague terms are for all intents and purpose literal. HOWEVER, this does not mean that the explanation suffices. Is there a way to find out why these things work, if they do? I would suppose not because supernatural is counter materialist, and probably not fathomable.
>>
>>17080326
yeah it is sort of vague, it's a tricky thing to explain, maybe akin to describing colour to someone who has never had that sense of sight. For me, for many, it is just there, it just IS, for me I've always been in tune with it, gone with it, and it hasn't led me astray. times I have messed up is when I don't trusty my gut instinct. that, IMO, is a primordial thing in us all. but then again there is gut instinct, and psychic abilities. it's like I said, like the OP's pic say, I don't think psychic ability is limited to a select few, I believe we can all access it, we just have to believe, know we can.

I understand this isn't as clear as you'd probably like, but it's the nearest I can get.
>>
>>17080490
/pol/ has already published it's thesis on this board:

"The perpetual self induced psychosis of degenerates"
>>
>>17080514
Understood. It isn't fathomable to me. However I don't think that these things would be open to everyone, considering that we as people are determined by environment and genetics. The meme that not everyone is open to these things is probably just a way of saying not everyone will become open to these things.
>>
>>17080511
>>17080514
Anyway, gtg, so just post some more interesting stuff for me to read over latter if you wish.,
>>
>>17080485
>the right to know
People have been trying to force knowledge into existence since time immemorial. It doesn't work.

Personally, I think it's because the concept of rights is flawed to begin with. Only abilities exist. Education can only augment or shut down our natural abilities. Not even just psychic ones either.
>>17080511
>Is there a way to find out why these things work, if they do?
No. Now become a scientists and prove me wrong.

That's honestly the only answer I can give you on any of this stuff: People looking for mysticism are usually only into it for themselves and their personal knowledge and beliefs. Accuracy of mechanism like you and I enjoy learning about is far from relevant to the knowledge of whether or not something works.

Personally, again, I feel the concept of belief itself is flawed; knowledge is independent of perspective.

Sometimes there might be an answer, but as you can see with the cosmic regression dilemma, we don't actually know that there will always be one. There may be uncountably many layers to reality that aren't well-defined enough to exist beyond the intuitive understand held by mysticism. It's usually unpleasant for me to entertain the notion but when it comes down to it, maybe we just can't. Blame god for not commenting the source code of reality if it helps.
>>17080514
Depends on the concept. Not every new concept is as hard to explain as an entirely new type of perception is. Often times an intuitive feeling can be easily described by just describing it literally.
>>17080546
>not everyone will become
Applies to many more things than the paranormal.
>>
>>17080072
Ignore >>17080138, you exercise it through intense masturbation.
>>
>>17080138
>they DO work
Source please, preferably a study done by actual accredited scientists under controlled conditions, not just "According to Thoth" bullshit
>>
>>17080546
you are very open, is the impression I get, so I think if you ever do want to work at that, exercising the psychic abilities, it would come to you quicker than you might think.
>>
nah, they are basically different names for the same thing
>>
>>17079986
Nope because neither one is real.
>>
>>17080715
source?

>Me, my personal experience, from when I first worked with them, to now, they're amazing, and very helpful.
So no, not according to some archaic manuscript...
According to real life experience.
>>
>>17079986
Why do people look for answers on this board? These people don't know shit, they just make it up as they go.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (29KB, 237x300px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
29KB, 237x300px
>>17080715
>attempt to understand that which we can not
It would be like Copernicus saying that the Sun goes around the earth and then the contemporary scientists of the day saying "pffft, wheres the peer review? Sources? Huh, nothing, you're unscientific and wrong".

lets not forget that science is always wrong.
That means that science being somewhat self correcting is always attempting to contradict itself.

people were entrenched in the Ptolemaic theory as much as we are in the 'Theory' of Gravity.
99.999999 in both cases.
>>
>>17080426
Can't tell you how hard I Kek'd at this
>>
The first one literally means you are able to think.
or bullshit mind magic if you want

Magic is a method of bringing emotion, self confidence, etc. into your life using the power of belief.

Neither of them let you shoot fire or anything.
>>
>>17080025
You. Are so. Fucking. BORING.
>>
>>17082240
That's rude!

I'm not the only one that does that, but you should never say everyone is like me.
>>
>>17079986
>psychic abilites or powers
Psychic ability is a consequence of understanding the nature of the mind, as well as the relationships that govern mental affairs.
>magic
Magic is a feeling that warps reality.

Differences only exist when you're using logic, not magic.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.