[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Perception

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_mn7tsqDf7U1qlckeoo1_540.png (94KB, 514x416px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mn7tsqDf7U1qlckeoo1_540.png
94KB, 514x416px
I want to explain to you, /x/, my interpretation of magic. I will keep it very simple.

First let's think about spells, and how they are typically viewed.
The most stereotypical form of spellcasting I can think of is incantation, usually rhyming. Rhyming and repetition increases not only your focus, but the influence of your spell.
These spells do not have to rhyme, however. Any word is a spell. If you ask someone to get you a glass of water, they can accept or decline, they can choose whether to let your request (spell) have influence over them. By simply speaking a word, you can put ideas into people's heads whether they want you to or not, such as asking one not to think of an elephant. It takes great practice to stop being susceptible to those sorts of things, and this practice can be interpreted as warding and achieved through meditation and the like.
This is how magic manifests in our world. Through thought, speech, marketing, body language, everything.
>>
OP here, i think my main motivation for making this thread was because i'm so sick of roleplay magic threads that i thought i'd offer a different perspective and to say that things are as you define them.
>>
bump because for the first time not bullshit
>>
Magic uses associations and symbolism to change the outlook ourselves and others have on any given thing. Colors, whether we want them to or not, have meaning to us. Green, we associate with money. Red, maybe with anger. This is why witches would burn candles colored in a way they deem appropriate for the spells they wish to do, for example. Whether or not you think that in particular bullshit is beside the point, because the associations and meanings are still there, underlying, engrained in our minds. That is the "magic" we can use to change our worlds, and even to affect other people.
>>
Key words: Interaction. Meaning. Intent.
Even your own thoughts are spells you cast on yourself.
If you think every day, "I am ugly," you will believe it more and more.
Similarly, if you tell someone they are ugly, or the more people who tell them they are ugly, they are prone to believing that is true about themself. This could be defined as a curse, perhaps.
>>
>>17058341
i feel you bro
i remember a stand up comedian once who told a line that i really loved

"we're basically wizards up here. a joke is a spell, right? you say a series of words, and suddenly you can make the audience emit loud bursts of air from their mouths."
>>
File: image.jpg (966KB, 1876x2057px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
966KB, 1876x2057px
You all speak nonsense

If magic exists in this world it is /bane/
>>
>>17058341
if you're into this, you should read 'a wizard of earthsea.' amazing fantasy(ish) book from the 70s. very much about the idea of words and names as "magic." not exactly in line with what you're talking about but it's a great book.

>>17058732
me again btw
>>
>>17058732
>>17058740
I haven't heard that, I love it too!
I will check out the book as well, thank you for sharing.
>>
Some examples I can think up of everyday magic:

Potions are made to have an affect on the drinker.
We brew coffee, drink teas, make smoothies, all for different benefits. How is this different from a potion?
Serving wine to someone you are interested in romantically will have significance to them as put in our minds by society... A love potion.
Alcohol is a poison with very obvious effects. This is all simple magic.

Wishes - A thought put in your head can change your future thoughts and behaviors drastically, even to an extent that could be consciously or subconsciously picked up on by others, thus shaping your reality and possibly actually increasing the chance that a wish within realistic bounds will come true. Simple example: when a family member or friend gets you the gift you wanted for holiday or bday without you having told them.

Hanging out with friends (or some enjoyable activity) to relieve symptoms of depression.

If you think of everything you do as magic, you will see that what you say, think, and do, gives outcomes, and you can receive desired outcomes (or at least be more likely to) by changing what you say, think, and do. No?
>>
I would love to hear some thoughts from other people, bump.
>>
>>17058922
Well yes, burning sage is done by some witches, but it is endangered, so unless you're growing your own, i don't condone it!
>>
>>17058341
>request
What an interesting spin on magic.

You mean to tell me you don't create your own?
>>
>>17058972
Giving a request is just one example of how a spell could be put into motion, or how magic can manifest.
I think I create my own magic with every breath I take and each thought that passes through my head. I refine my definition of magic each day.
>>
>>17058994
>I refine my definition of magic each day.
Keep with it.
>>
>>17059008
Couldn't you give your thoughts as to why it's important or tell me of your experiences rather than giving me a vague command?
>>
>>17059042
A flexible definition of magic is a powerful thing.

Hadn't you learned that yet?
>>
>>17059050
Of course. I mean, if you've read my thread, you could tell I see the potential of magic everywhere and in everything.
I don't really like the condescending vibe you give off.
>>
>>17059056
Then I apologize.
>>
>>17059064
Apology accepted, I may have misinterpreted your intent.
Moving on then, with a smile.
>>
magic

everybody knows you can effect the world with magic. there are many ways to describe this and many methods to achieve results.

magic and paranormal phenomenon occur in various ways with little rhyme or reason. some people do magic by having sex, others on accident. some people see ghosts, other people see big foots, and some see UFO's.

understand, what I'm saying is it is totally unintelligible. a purposeful conspiracy to confuse us? do our sentiments distort the world around us?

these are incomplete thoughts. but it's true when they say the more you learn the more questions you have. people have been trying to describe this crap for ages. how can we understand so little?
>>
>>17058803
>teas
this is true. if I wish to drink tea to make myself happy, i can do that.

it would not just be the tea though. it would be the tea + meditation/brain changing.

i don't think everything is magic, not necessarily. perhaps a person could make that so with effort.
>>
>>17059311
>perhaps a person could make that so with effort.
Oh please do go on.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (4KB, 160x116px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
4KB, 160x116px
“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
>>
>>17060290
See, this post actually had context. I find it tasteful. Hellpreaching has it's place in the world.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.