[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I cope with derealization/deersonalization? It doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (49KB, 604x482px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 604x482px
How do I cope with derealization/deersonalization? It doesn't take a DRASTIC toll on my life, but the episodes are frightening as hell. Remember those solipsist and nihilist thoughts you had as an edgy teenager? Well imagine them being bombarded at you, and you're hopeless, and at the same time convinced that everything is unreal.

I hope this is just an extension of underlying anxiety issues. Because I've dealt with that since the day I was born.
>>
>>17043535
You're starting to see and feel the world for what it really is. Have faith, you'll be fine.
>>
File: 1449212088498.jpg (154KB, 500x638px) Image search: [Google]
1449212088498.jpg
154KB, 500x638px
>waking up
>doesn't want to wake up
pussy
>>
>>17043535
>I've dealt with that since the day I was born.
Yes, if you've had anxiety your entire life, it's not just gonna disappear some day. Have you taken any medications for your anxiety? Everything you can tell me about the current trajectory of your mind and recent moods will be helpful.
>>
>>17043669
A brief history of me:
The most common type of medication I've been prescribed is SSRI crap which, in retrospect, was practically no help because anxiety has always been my problem, not depression or any of that shit. By far the most frequent manifestation of this anxiety is Obsessive Compulsive, and there is a variety of things I've worried about in the past, ranging from inane to just bizarre. When I was younger, it was the typical doorknob/security anxiety, but as I aged it become revolved more around existential shit- I started obsessively worrying about the future, the far future, and other /x/ related shit. I've had panic attacks coming to certain realizations that have lasted for long ass times, some persisting today.

Virtually every thought I have nowadays is backed by some anxiety or self-doubt. I don't simply perceive and analyze the world around me, I am always skeptical to what I am seeing, and think more about the implications of any sensation rather than just the sensation itself. I've become completely jaded to any stimuli; it's like I've seen everything and know everything, even though it's pretty fucking obvious I haven't. Whether or not this is anxiety or some other deep-rooted psych issue, this in itself has caused me much anxiety and grief.

So I guess the derealization goes hand in hand with those two things- OCD and consciousness dissociation. I'm fearful I'm too far gone at this point. I used to point fingers at my parents and other environmental factors for causing such a shitty situation at such a relatively young age, but at this point, now that I'm old enough to understand why I acted the way I did as I child, I don't know who or what to blame. Everything just feels so directionless. I'm sure part of it is due to browsing 4chan WAY too much during my formative years, but that is such a fucking shitty hindsight view that it probably isn't the case. Normal people may become disillusioned by his place, but they don't go crazy.
>>
>>17043900
1. DO NOT take the wrong medication. The pharmacuetical industry is a corporate advertising campaign, NOT a valid source of medical knowledge. Do Not go to a psychiatrist that treats you like a diagnosis rather than a person. Don't go to a doctor that pretends to know the answer. Would you go to a doctor that gave you cold medicine because they couldn't look up from their clipboard long enough to see your arm was broken in seven places?

Modern psychiatry only exists because people realized that prisons were filled with innocent people. It's Prison 2.0. Nothing more, nothing less.

Security-based anxiety is more commonly referred to as paranoia. Everyone goes through that phase in modern (industrialized) society. It never hits any of us in quite the same way, but the fear is real.

Your future, the immediate global future, and the far future are three very separate things. The anxiety you face in life is nothing like existential risks on a planetary scale (X-risks for short), and geological or universal timescales are pure sci-fi. If you suffer from all three types of fears, you'll need to address each of them separately.

In any and every case, deal with your largest fear first.

2. You are never so far gone that you can't reach out for help. Maybe there's nobody to reach out to, but then again... Maybe there always is.

3. Don't blame anyone. Children are not responsible for their ignorance. If anything, adults are responsible for childhood ignorance, but even then they were busy trying to keep you alive.

It's not all bad, but I'm not gonna lie and pretend it's all good.
>>
>>17043535
Op I deal with this quite often myself. I've found that immersing myself in a task that I have to pay close attention to can help. Though for really bad episodes when my derealization and depersonalization go hand in hand I usually have to go sleep it off.

This past summer the thoughts were pretty bad. To the point that I had part of me telling myself I had to crash my car if I wanted to make sure things were real. I don't want to hurt myself, never have, but these thoughts are so obtrusive.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
>>
>>17044308
My therapist just recently brought up that some people would believe that when you dissociate you are seeing the world as it truly is. Something that does not exist.

I think that just makes me feel worse sometimes.
>>
File: 1448584980648.jpg (52KB, 626x460px) Image search: [Google]
1448584980648.jpg
52KB, 626x460px
>Implying being incapacitated because you are "bombarded" with thoughts. You even lift bro?
>>
Op, learn some dissociation grounding skills. Reminding yourself of your name, the date, time, location, things that you can definitely see in your immediate vicinity and affirming that they're real and that's where you are. Ice can help ground you too with sensations. Might be good for you to look into. Talk to a therapist about it as well, it'd help you. Good luck.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 350x233px
For those who don't know what it feels like, this song captures the essence very wel. Particularly the sequence That starts at 5:10. Actually, whenever I have an episode of DP/DR this song always plays in my subconscious.
>http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eltn_nyOPh8

Also, a couple Floyd songs capture the feeling as well. Especially Brain Damage and Comfortably Numb.
>>
>>17044264
What type of medication do you recommend then? I was on something in the same class as Adderall because a psychiatrist thought it would help. At the time I thought she was misdiagnosing me but I think she was right all along now.
>>
>>17043535

you have entered into a state that the Orthodox call Prelest.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Prelest
>>
>>17043535
maybe u just need a gf
>>
OP here. I've also found that absolutely nothing interests me anymore. I don't remember the last time I've actually been awed or amused by anything, let alone being able to focus/spend time on something that pertains to my interests.

>>17044362
I have no charisma and besides I don't like most people.
>>
>>17043535

um.. if it's unreal, why the fuck does any of it matter?
>>
>>17044374
Good question, it's probably the fact that for the most part it's an anxiety disorder.
>>
>>17044308
Yes, flow states can help with symptom alleviation but it's not a permanent solution. There was a bad attack a couple months back by a time traveler to try to induce dissociative states and personalities in metacognitive individuals across the internet.

Personally, I think the attack was directed at NSA agents who haven't learned to algorithm properly.
>>17044316
Yeah, that's terrible. I've had brief moments of feeling like the world was fictional because superhero movies made more sense than what I knew myself to be naturally capable of at the time. But know that the world is real because it has never once failed you the way that people are capable of failing you.
>>
>>17044382

Fair enough. If it's an anxiety disorder, they have drugs that can fix that shit though.

get on that, senpai.
>>
>>17044360
>What type of medication do you recommend then?
None. I'm not a trained psychologist or a chemist.

Note how rare it is for someone to be an expert in both of those fields.

The goal is to fix your natural state of mind, not your medicated state of mind.
>>17044369
That's depression, not anxiety.
>>
>>17043535
Don't worry, OP, someday you'll graduate high school and things will start evening out.

Or you'll have a psychotic break and we'll hear your story related to us the next time we get a spooky work stories thread. Either way, fun!
>>
>>17043900
I went through a few years of this after a bad acid trip. The thing that helped me the most is definitely meditation. There are a lot of different kinds- zazen, yoga, qigong, mindfulness. Seriously anon. Helps a lot.

Also I take luvox now which lessens depression and anxiety (and OCD). Good shit.
>>
OP have you ever had a neck or head injury?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.