[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to pronounce?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: tetragrammaton.jpg (15KB, 640x247px) Image search: [Google]
tetragrammaton.jpg
15KB, 640x247px
How to pronounce?
>>
yhvh
>>
>>17029205

There is no proper recorded translation.
Here are some possible ways to say it:
Y'hovah
Yahvey
Yayhayvayhay
And so on.
>>
>>17029205

not a word. its a guide for the true name. the real name was never spoken, so there are many euphemisms. the true name is part of the old tounge. all words in that language have power, but the name of god even moreso.
>>
>>17029221
I suspect it's deliberately hidden so everyone can't say it. It's probably none of the ones people think it might be.
>>
File: holy-cow.jpg (26KB, 390x326px) Image search: [Google]
holy-cow.jpg
26KB, 390x326px
Well it looks like a cow
>>
File: >Israel.png (477KB, 628x625px) Image search: [Google]
>Israel.png
477KB, 628x625px
>>17029205
YAH WAY
>>
>>17029205
i7li7'
>>
>>17029229
It is not really a name anyways. When Moses asked, The Lord just said Yahweh, or "I AM". Literally just told him that HE IS.
>>
>>17029316
"I am that I am"
>>
>>17029205
Yahweh

Here is a good breakdown if you're truly interested:

http://www.eliyah.com/yahweh.html
>>
>>17029351
Yeah I do not doubt this, I was just going off of memory. Still has the same meaning basically.
>>
>>17029316
I knew that but still thought there was another secret name.
>>
I am. Or maybe more accurately, He is, but English versions traditionally answer I am.

It comes from the exodus passage where Moses asks Yahu's name. He answers: אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה - Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh

It was probably something close to Yahu in the beginning, before the Jews became monotheistic (look up old testament textual criticism as a starting point with that) they had a bunch of names ending in - yahu referring to this god. They, like Classical Arabic or Ancient Egyptian, only had three vowel sounds at first - a i u, with the semivowels y and w basically pretending to sort of be i/u too (Hebrew got es and os in the Canaanite sound shift, oddly about the same time Egyptian did; Arabic was still kinda dicking around in Yemen and Ethiopia with Geez and their other cousins which is why they were excluded). The neighboring Greeks at the time also left recordings that the Jews worshipped ΙΑΩ which might have been pronounced iao, iahu, or iaho by the Greeks.

Wiki also gives
יהוה with the vocalization "Yahweh" could theoretically be a hif'il (causative) verb inflection of root HWH, with a meaning something like "he who causes to exist" (the Creator) or "who gives life" (the root idea of the word being "to breathe", and hence, "to live"). As a qal (basic stem) verb inflection, it could mean "he who is, who exists".

Jehovah comes late. Basically after the taboo had already set it some time later the Tiberian jews inserted vowel marks over the text; since they were reading it as adonai they put the a-o-a vowel marks between y-h-w-h and got yahowah and ya was pronounced ye.
>>
File: yahweh_edited.jpg (96KB, 544x700px) Image search: [Google]
yahweh_edited.jpg
96KB, 544x700px
does this have any merit?
>>
>>17029205
furi kuri
>>
>>17029424
Interesting. Thanks.
>>
>>17029482
>>
>>17029205
why don't you ask him
>>
>>17029221
Yeah, many people forget(don't know) that the most ancient forms of Hebrew are long dead languages. We hardly know how to translate the oldest stuff, let alone pronounce it.
>>
>>17029424
Someone here has been reading my man Spinoza
>>
File: One God.png (57KB, 1280x556px) Image search: [Google]
One God.png
57KB, 1280x556px
>>17029475
>>
>>17029205
>How to pronounce?
Annunaki
>>
>>17029205
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_god_in_judaism
>>
>>17029205
YWHW
Yod He Vau He
Yod He Vav He
Yod Hay Vav Hay
>>
>>17029224
Whats so hard about saying [][][][][][][][][][][]?
>>
>>17031210
im having a fucking ball saying those out loud in mah daemon voice.
>>
>>17029224
people who worry about pronouncing hebrew-yhvh need to realize this. in hebrew prayer books, they sometimes use the word "adonai" meaning something like "lord". this is written out in hebrew, "yy" (looks like: ' ' ). the written letters have no connection to the pronunciation. if this is accepted and ok, then people should quit trying to figure out the true way to pronounce yhvh cause it literally could be anything.
>>
>>17029482
underrated post
>>
>>17029265
the spelling is all wrong bro
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.