[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flat Earth General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

File: flatearthyo.png (396KB, 543x543px) Image search: [Google]
flatearthyo.png
396KB, 543x543px
Flat Earth Society forum is full of believers that use biblical arguments to support their ideas.

These points may not be 100% accurate but the discussion basically comes down to this

>earth is round
>earth is flat disc surrounded by ice around the borders

>seeing a curvature in longer distance
>there is actually no curvature

>following a straight line across earth brings you back to the same spot
>there is attraction to the center of the flat disc

>gravity comes from earth mass attracting other mass
>the thing we perceive as gravity is actually is earth moving upwards in the same speed
>I can't find a scientific reason why a large mass attracts more mass

>there is a plausible explanation for seasons, timezones, sunrise etc. on a flat earth
>there is a plausible explanation for for perceiving other planets as round

>only one source of visual footage of the round earth comes from NASA

muh questions about flat earth
>where does heat from the earth come from?
>how can magnetism be explained with Earth's magnetic field?
>where do plate tectonics come from? How are volcanoes, mountains and earthquakes created?
>how is metamorphic rock created and what brings it up to the surface?
>how thick is the earth and what keeps it together?
>why is the UN logo an image of a flat earth?

Answer and discuss.
>>
I want to know who is shilling this false narrative and why.
>>
>>16952261
>ITT: Help me understand this retarded delusion of delusional retards.
>>
>>16952339
Most are retards. But it is interesting how so many things can actually be explained with a plausible theory.
>>
More like fucking retarded general
>>
>>16952346
"Plausible" is stretching a bit. It's easy to make things sound plausible to fit an agenda.
>>
>>16952380
They explain an observation or phenomena with a theory that can't be proven wrong.
>>
Every single flat earth myth has been disproven. You're just too dumb to look at the evidence.
>>
>>16952405
Exactly. And when they are proven wrong they flip the chessboard and yell "King me."
Bloody shills.
>>
>>16952409
>>16952425
>earth is flat disc surrounded by ice around the borders
>there is actually no curvature
>there is attraction to the center of the flat disc
>the thing we perceive as gravity is actually is earth moving upwards in the same speed

these things can't, no matter how strange they sound to us, unproven as far as I know. In what example where they actually proven wrong?
>>
>>16952488
You can literally see the curvature of the Earth. That's why ships disappear under the horizon.
>>
I want to know why these people are so dedicated to creating their own niche little culture. Why they do mental gymnastics to reject scientific consensus.
>>
>>16952518
If you zoom in with a good binocular or telescope, you can actually see the bottom of the island, ship or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLIsh_XBZso

Try it yourself.
>>
>>16952518
They have some handwaving about a lens effect, like literally what you see around the edges of a magnifying glass.
Here it is>>16952590
>>
>>16952572
Rejecting popular opinion, even scientific consensus, provides an ego with a sense of superiority. Science can feed into this when it idolizes figures like Galileo or Columbus - they intend to laud empiricism in the face of dogma, but the common man just sees someone with right on their side in the face of consensus and self-proclaimed expertise.
>>
I have such second-hand embarrassment for the people who believe stuff like this, and the feeling they're going to feel a year, maybe two, maybe ten, from now when they realized how stupid they looked when they wouldn't shut up about it to everyone they encountered.
>>
>>16952641
Who the fuck talks about theories with everyone they encounters? Why won't people that believe this shup up about it?
>>
>>16952261

>what is inertia
>>
>>16952261

the flat earth society are shills

you fucking tard
>>
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

Catch this when they are pointing the camera towards Earth and you can see the fucking curvature of it.
>>
>>16952946

lol, good goy trust nasa, believe there is actually an ISS 'up there'

good GOYIM!
>>
>>16952590
>taken from on top of a hill
top fucking shill m8
>>
>>16952954
I know you're just shitposting, but it's really saddening knowing that there are people that actually think this way. The amount of delusion that can occur in a human's brain is fucking incredible.
>>
>>16952939

>the flat earth society are shills

THIS.

It's a psyop aimed at further discrediting anyone who actually goes against the narrative on meaningful issues.

Setting up a platform to slander by association. It happened before, it's happening again now.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zog1taY6X8k

All the flat earth proofs are fucking hilarious. Made by a bunch of autistic shits that want to rebel for the sake of rebellion. Like the fucktard who made that video.
>>
>>16952261

A bunch of ad-hoc reasons of how the earth isn't round. It's easy to just insist that everyone's perceptions are wrong.

The round earth model is accepted because it makes sense with everything else.

If the Earth was flat, we would have much more reliable maps. A lot of perspective issues arise from trying to project the spherical earth on a flat surface. To me this is proof enough.
>>
>>16952960
Did you know that vaccines cause cancer?
>>
File: 1429114680637.jpg (61KB, 463x604px) Image search: [Google]
1429114680637.jpg
61KB, 463x604px
>>16952989
[citation needed]
>>
>>16952590

>being this high up

>only 120x zoom

literally proves nothing other than the earth's curvature is bigger than you can detect with a consumer level camera.

If you could see... say EUROPE from the United States.... Then I'd say you were onto something.

Assuming we can see the moon without any assistance, then it stands to reason that we should be able to see Europe with a powerful enough magnification.
>>
If the Earth is flat, why does a shadow cast in Syene have a different length than one cast in Alexandria?
>>
>>16952970
>It's a psyop
This is actually plausible
>>
>>16952261

>earth is flat

>we could literally just beam lasers across the world with minimal latency

>we could bypass satellites entirely

>we don't do this

This flat earth model is literally garbo.
>>
>>16952261
This is the most retarded bullshit I've ever heard

>>earth is round
>>earth is flat disc surrounded by ice around the borders
Go to this "ice disk" and walk straight

>>seeing a curvature in longer distance
>>there is actually no curvature
You don't exist, prove me wrong. Same dumb logic

>>following a straight line across earth brings you back to the same spot
>>there is attraction to the center of the flat disc
If that was true you'd end up in the "center" if you kept walking long enough, not in the same spot

>>gravity comes from earth mass attracting other mass
>>the thing we perceive as gravity is actually is earth moving upwards in the same speed
This implies there is some force pushing our "Flat Earth" upwards, provide some evidence of this first before trying to make this a legitimate claim
>>
File: itsreallythatsimple.png (28KB, 1567x552px) Image search: [Google]
itsreallythatsimple.png
28KB, 1567x552px
>>16953022
>>16953022
I made an image to help you out anon
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zog1taY6X8k

Yup, that video officially made me lose my faith in humanity.

There are people dying of hunger, people in war, an entire country being bathed in propaganda.

Christians are supposed to be altruistic, but all they seem to do is argue about whether or not the earth is flat. Just keep the earth spinning and we'll all be happy.
>>
>>16953027

>This is actually plausible

It's pretty blatant at this point. If you're engage them with this, ones who aren't legit schizophrenics suffering from induced delusions will immediately try to pass it off as "i was pretentding to be raterded".

It's an obvious COINTELPRO-style psyop.
>>
to accept this as a possibility. you need to throw out sacred geometry(Geo-Earth Metron-measurement). interesting idea, i gave it it's moment to stake it's claims. gave it an honest debate. but i dont buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKm8v-G5lOE&list=PLbvQYJU3_bzZxL-Coxz36unz5OtMb-gCM&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD9-8MuEbTI&list=PLbvQYJU3_bzaI7SzOsSiEeFezeBm9cH2q
>>
>>16952954
I bet you believe the people who have taken pictures/video of ISS through telescopes were just seeing a "hologram". Right?
>>
>>16953084
Keked at that obvious cut when the plane "transports"
>>
What about how plane flight paths from the southern hemisphere only make sense on flat earth maps? And how come GPS is switched off for planes in the southern hemisphere?
>>
>>16953128
Do you have a citation for any of that?

>What about how plane flight paths from the southern hemisphere only make sense on flat earth maps?

You do realize that if this were true, we wouldn't have thousands of planes flying around, right? We use GPS and satellites to navigate. These things wouldn't work if the Earth was flat.
>>
>>16952261
Biruni calculated the latitude of Kath, Khwarazm, using the maximum altitude of the Sun. Biruni also solved a complex geodesic equation in order to accurately compute the Earth's circumference, which were close to modern values of the Earth's circumference.[12][13] His estimate of 6,339.9km for the Earth radius was only 16.8km less than the modern value of 6,356.7523142km (WGS84 polar radius "b"). In contrast to his predecessors who measured the Earth's circumference by sighting the Sun simultaneously from two different locations, Biruni developed a new method of using trigonometric calculations based on the angle between a plain and mountain top which yielded more accurate measurements of the Earth's circumference and made it possible for it to be measured by a single person from a single location.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_geodesy
>yuorkek scholar btfo
>>
>>16953139
I don't understand?

I don't think the earth is flat but when I watched those videos I did think it was really odd that all southern hemisphere flights take seemingly random detours to get to their location but when mapped on a flat earth map the detours are actually the quickest and most direct route to the end location.

Shit's strange yo
>>
>>16952932
It'd be more correct to say it's accelerating upwards at a constant acceleration, about 9.8 m/s^2.
>>
>>16953144
Biruni doesn't have shit on Eratosthenes.

>His estimate of 6,339.9km for the Earth radius was only 16.8km less than the modern value

Eratosthenes was only off by a few percent.
>>
>>16953139
>th ey can con vince us dat de erth es rund, th ey do not ne ed to list in to de gra vity.
>>
>>16953167
I'll reply to you when you can write a competent sentence and not some strawman greentext bullshit.
>>
why the fuck is this thread alive ?
>retards argue over something that was settled centuries ago.
>>
>>16953189
>something that was settled centuries ago.
i think if we make things "facts" we close our minds to the possibility we may have been wrong. maybe not wrong at the time. things change. it's the only inevitability in existence.

im not saying i think the earth is flat. just saying, i think it's healthy to reevaluate what we have come to believe.
>>
>>16953210
That mindset is fine and all, but some things are just indisputable. Earth being round is one of them. There likely isn't going to be a scientific discovery that falsifies that. The most that could happen would probably be akin to how Newton's theory of gravity is treated since Einstein's theory of relativity was published.
In other words, gravity still exists, we just know more about it. In the same way, we will learn more about the Earth, but there isn't going to be anything that shows that Earth isn't round.
>>
>>16953228
i agree with you too.
>>
>>16952261
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO0PgyPWE3o
>3:55

literally right there before your eyes on a MAN MADE (NO FUCK UPS) structure... if you continue believing this "Earth is flat bullshit," it's your own choice.
>>
>>16953252
i wann'a go fast...
>>
>>16952307

It's even more inconsequential than the intelligent design debate. At least when you debate creationists, you're having an objective impact on society - when you debate flat Earth, not only are you wasting your time, you're promoting argumentative, fruitless behavior.

A jackboot is expensive, and leads the abused to fight back. Killing your target's soul with sloth is far easier.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5i_iDyUTCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFNCbwOv_7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sZUO9LxMdE

maybe it's not flat, but copernican heliocentricism is TOTALLY BTFO
>>
>>16954176
>Jackboots are expensive

I dunno man I can buy a pair for about sixty bucks on eBay
>>
File: heresy.jpg (10KB, 360x361px) Image search: [Google]
heresy.jpg
10KB, 360x361px
I have a better theory.
>>
>>16952946
>http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/
>only one source of visual footage of the round earth comes from NASA

>>16952958
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEqDbsPUgH8
From 10:16 onwards. Not entirely sure if this is a valid example, but the distance seems to be a lot greater than other examples.

>>16952989
>making fun of something
>clearly having no idea what you're making fun of
do more research on it so you can well-founded jokes about it

>>16953035
valid point
>>
>>16953051
>Go to this "ice disk" and walk straight
FE'rs claim Antartica is being patrolled since the creation of the Antartic Treaty in 1959 to protect it from secret military activity or testing.
I honestly can't find any proof of it being patrolled. Apart from the few tourist trips, reaching Antartica is very difficult and expensive.
If you reach Antartica and follow the borders of the continent, it'd be possible to say if your inside the circle or going around it by you having to adjust your ship to the left or to the right.

>You don't exist, prove me wrong. Same dumb logic
There is a lot of footage that shows that you can still see whole objects from far, far away even though they shouldn't be entirely visible with the formula's of earth's curvature. The proof is somewhat scarce desu

>If that was true you'd end up in the "center" if you kept walking long enough, not in the same spot
correct, but I saw a discussion about this between a few scientists when one of them came up with a explanation for reaching the same point when moving in a straight line and it couldn't be disproven by the others. I can't find it anymore unfortunately.

>This implies there is some force pushing our "Flat Earth" upwards, provide some evidence of this first before trying to make this a legitimate claim
The same evidence or examples that are used to prove that earth has gravity, can also be used to prove earth is moving upwards.
Gravity is still a vague principle for scientists. It's just 'an' explanation for an observation.

>>16953189
>>16953228
Like >>16953210 said, it's good to revise things we accept as the truth. It's a shame that most FE'rs use biblical refrences to 'proof' their theories.
I just made this thread to discuss both sides of the story. Even though the FE'rs have theories that can't be disproven, there are also quite a good amount of experiments that confirm a spherical earth and can't be disproven by the FE'rs.
>>
>>16952261
This /b/ tier retarded delusion bullshit has to disappear, flat earthers are just kikes spreading confusion and stupidity among the gullible.
>>
>>16953252
Good example honestly. It's unfortunate that he doesn't zoom in, because heat and light reflection also causes things to disappear. By zooming in with a very good binocular or even a telescope, you could see IF you could see the other end. Do you know if there are any examples with a very good and clear zoom?
>>
>>16952261
>2015
>Dumb and gullible enough to believe the earth is flat
>Entire theory can be disproved in 10 minutes with a stick and some mud.
>Kill yourself stop poisoning the community.
>>
File: Hit_it_with_a_stick.gif (129KB, 300x232px) Image search: [Google]
Hit_it_with_a_stick.gif
129KB, 300x232px
>>16952261
if we were a fucking disc flying straight up, think about the atmosphere, the affects it would have on air. radiation, pollution. we know we are spinning because its not the rest of the fucking universe spinning, nope its us. so how would our air and climate react if it was all being spun towars the outskirts of this disc... but a globe on the otherhand would and does, fit this equation perfectly to create a distribution that equals earths current state.
inb4 fuck grammar atm
>>
>tfw natural selection doesn't work anymore and retards still roam the earth plaguing the brains of intelligent people with their bullshit
>>
>>16952261
This is why people laugh at /x/. People actually believe that Earth might be flat? Fuck me kill me now.
>>
File: image.jpg (359KB, 2154x994px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
359KB, 2154x994px
>>16952590
former submariner here. We trained to visually estimate the range of ships by how much of their hull is visible on the horizon.

I have tested this many times on the high power zoom on a periscope. I have matched ships on the horizon go from a mast, to a super structure, to the full hull as it came closer and vice versa.

You are wrong.
>>
>>16954772
Awesome visual evidence. The problem is some of these idiots will still believe it's flat. It's embarrassing. I wonder what life is like for these people.
>>
>>16952307
it's the CIA & NASA doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87cWHh7t904&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQt9vq3sdtQ&app=desktop

https://www.google.com/#q=what+genius+flat+earth+psyops
>>
>>16954772
Thanks for providing clear evidence. That's exactly what I wanted to provoke with this thread. Not some "hurr durr people who believe the earth is flat are dumb as fuck".
>>
>>16954772
Im a former navyfag too. was on a DDG. We did the same thing to estimate distance even though we were doing so a little above sea level.
There is this youtube channel I cant remember the name of, some guy tries to explain how its an optical illusion that ships go "down" on the other side of the horizon...like mirrors from the sky or some shit. Its full on looney-talk, I wish I remembered the name.
I always used to wonder how flat earth people explained away how objects appear and disapper while youre in an airplane or standing on shore watching a ships mast disapper over the horizon...oh...atmosphere mirrors n shit, cool.
>>
>>16954795
> people who believe the earth is flat are dumb as fuck

Uhhh....they are.
>>
File: imabyrd.jpg (32KB, 358x450px) Image search: [Google]
imabyrd.jpg
32KB, 358x450px
>no one cares about his brave words
>>
>>16954224
>that first video
>the part about gravity

this is the perfect example of flat earth arguments. they take a fundamental misunderstanding of basic science and use it as a basis for logic, as almost universally accepted theories about fundamental aspects of the universe can have holes poked in them that easily.

It reminds me of another one where someone claimed nasa images of earth can't be real, because "the ocean is blue because it reflects a blue atmosphere, so if the atmosphere is blue you couldn't see anything through it from space." Just an embarrassing failure to understand incredibly basic science.
>>
File: 1438816002914.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1438816002914.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
You're a flat guy.
>>
>>16952261
can you then explain the coriolis effect if the earth is flat?
>>
>>16954256

You also have to feed the person wearing the jackboots, and keep him loyal to you. Also, other groups have their own jackbooted thugs, and unless yours can stand against theirs, you basically don't have a pair of jackboots at all.

But all of these thugs can be controlled by rhetoric and malaise. Marx said religion was the opiate of the masses, but the truth is that any ontology that never fully satisfies and destroys individual volition can pacify any number of people.

The number one way of doing it is regular food supply - a fed nervous system is a sedentary nervous system. The boredom that arises can be abated by circuses - boredom with the circuses can be labeled mental illness, and medicated with drugs that cause apathy, foggy-headedness, and loss of the sex drive. Those not medicated can be indebted and kept permanently at a low economic level, while still believing they can climb the social ladder, leading to demonstrable mental deficits. This confused mind can then be threatened by puritanism until it disintergrates it's sex drive, and subsequently has no interest in anything save for sex, while being so ashamed of sex that they can't enjoy it.

There was no Cold War - the USSR and USA worked on all sorts of things together. It was a lie to control the Earth's population. Today, they lie to you about terrorism. The moon landing hoax is another example - they get you to believe that archaic technology is impossible, while they test out fission-powered plasma VTOLs.

They're not going to the stars because they're worried about paying the bills; they're going to the stars because they cut throats for your tax dollars. The Apollo program was the public face of the ICBM program. Wernher von Braun worked for the Nazis first, and it was his work that put men on the moon - he jumped ship to whoever might humor his space fantasies.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.