[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 2b3.jpg (16KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
2b3.jpg
16KB, 500x378px
Why is it that skeptics act like discovering alien life would be so momentous and incredible? To the point that they even hotly contest whether or not bacteria have been found on certain meteorites. Where is all this incredulity coming from?

I guess I'm asking because like, here in 2015, default states of fear and doubt, like racism and sexism are basically outgrown. How is it logical to be so afraid of discovering something new?
>>
answer this man's question you faggots
>>
File: Brookings Rept.png (112KB, 1726x832px) Image search: [Google]
Brookings Rept.png
112KB, 1726x832px
The initial revelation is one thing, but try and think of all the ramifications.

You'd have people who stop respecting human society completely and start worshiping the aliens because they have all the answers. I can see why something like the Prime Directive might actually exist.
>>
>>16946301
Go to montalk
Read
Now grow up and make your conspiracy theory homework and you will understand.
>>
The simplest answer is people just don't want their cages rattled.

Remember when "we" were all conspiracy nuts for thinking NSA were listening in on our data etc? Then it came to light that that was 100% true?

What happened? All the hurr durr sheep changed tac and said "well of course they are, who cares?"

Aliens could land on the Whitehouse lawn tomorrow, and as long as they left the next day, nothing would change. People would go "wow", but it would be too flash-in-the-pan to change anyone's plans for tomorrow.
>>
>>16946333
(me again)

Also, people who think the odds of their being life out there are just too remote, i.e. we're such a fluke, just cannot fathom how big the universe is. I think that's what their problem is.

I don't pretend I can fathom how big it is, but I do have some appreciation for how far I fall short, and therefore who am I to claim that's it's too remote just because my puny human mind can't stretch that far.

Then there's the whole "hurr durr light speed" and distance problem. Again, who am I to confine the whole universe into the intellectual limitations of us puny humans?

What's really funny is when someone says, "Oh yeah? Well tell me how to go faster than the speed of light then!" Like as if me not knowing how means that no-one can, ever.

If this was tl;dr, you're part of the problem.
>>
File: 1425594447644.jpg (89KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
1425594447644.jpg
89KB, 500x383px
>>16946333
Polls show the majority of people already believe in alien visitation and a cover up surrounding it. I don't think there would be riots or anything like some suggest. Their best 'evidence' people will freak out is the War of the Worlds broadcast, but that was aliens roaming the Earth in giant tripods blinding people and blowing things up. Not really the same as just telling people they exist.
>>
>>16946353

yeah good point, but that's the western world. How do you reckon middle-eastern religions would cope?
>>
>>16946377
Arabs up to date enough to use the internet seem to be ok with alien life. The ones who aren't caught up so much might have more of a problem. Or they might just accept them as their god and his angels. It could go either way.
>>
>>16946349
>but I do have some appreciation for how far I fall short

Okay, you're basically aware of your own fallibility and therefore question your own conclusions and are therefore sane/logical.

I'm OP and I was moreso looking for the responses of people who don't do such logical things as that thing which you did there.

But then I guess that was stupid. It's not like skeptics respond to threads which question their world views. As you said, they don't want their cages rattled.
>>
>>16946377
>>16946399

I think the middle-eastern people would respond like the sand people from star wars. They would just keep doing their thing in the desert, attacking anyone who tried to get up in their shit.
>>
>>16946301
There are no fucking aliens you dumb shit go back to your daily life.
>>
File: eGInch.gif (2MB, 346x259px) Image search: [Google]
eGInch.gif
2MB, 346x259px
>>16946441
There's more fucking aliens than you can even comprehend.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.