[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to understand death using only the intellect?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20151106_125105.jpg (365KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151106_125105.jpg
365KB, 720x1280px
Is it possible to understand death using only the intellect?
>>
Yeah. Concentrate on what it's like to be alive and then think of the opposite.
>>
File: tumblr_nx1u49pBn31sd8x3vo1_500.jpg (147KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx1u49pBn31sd8x3vo1_500.jpg
147KB, 500x625px
>>16939932
No. Only align the mind stuff.
>>
>>16939947
Deep thoughts.
>>
File: 1389312726909.jpg (196KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1389312726909.jpg
196KB, 500x375px
>>16939932
Yes.
>>
"Death", as with all things capable of being understood, is a product of the intellect. Were they not a product of the intellect, you would not have the ability to even recognize them, let alone understand them. Thus, anything you can think about is capable of being understood by the intellect, and nothing else.

Whether these notions are the reality experienced, is a different story.
>>
No the mind is the slayer of the real
>>
>>16939947
Life isn't the opposite of death. Birth is the opposite of death. Life is eternal.

Could you understand birth using only the intellect? What do you mean by 'understand'? You can intellectualise any experience, run it as a chain of thoughts and ideas which all might be entirely logical, and yet strip away the essence of the event. We can't understand feelings, or states of consciousness, with words and thoughts. They are different currencies, apples and oranges.
>>
>>16939932
without death we couldnt value/enjoy life.
>>
>>16940125
Granted. That isn't really what I'm getting at though. Can death be understood by the living using reason or is it impossible to really fathom unless one actually goes through the process?
>>
>>16939932
is it possible to explain a color to a blind person ?
>>
File: surgery.jpg (222KB, 750x927px) Image search: [Google]
surgery.jpg
222KB, 750x927px
The only way to truly understand death is to die and come back to the land of the living. For this, drowning works best in my opinion. Also to stay on subject, logic then ceases to be applicable. Everything you previously thought about death becomes null and void. So no. You cannot use logic to understand death, especially if you have never died and come back.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.