[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

oldest religious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: many-religions.jpg (21KB, 318x320px) Image search: [Google]
many-religions.jpg
21KB, 318x320px
/x/ whats the oldest religion ever created, can you guys give me a description or a summary of the religion?
>>
Depends what you mean by religion. If you mean written books and men in dresses then you'd be missing out tens of thousands of years. It's probably some form of animism, 'primitive' people viewing creation as a collection of gods and supernatural events. Read Joseph Campbell's Masks of God (4 volumes) for this, and how it developed into more modern religions. If that's tl,dr, just read volume 1.
>>
one of the oldest known temples is gobekli tebe in turkey. google that name and you can have an idea what passed around as religion those days.
>>
>>16921548
>>>/his/
>>
File: zoroaster11.jpg (44KB, 500x716px) Image search: [Google]
zoroaster11.jpg
44KB, 500x716px
Zoroastrianism is one of the oldest world religions.

In fact, some have dated it as the world’s oldest monotheism, although this supposition is by no means universally accepted. Accurately describing the age of this religion is very difficult, because there is some debate over when the prophet for who it is named, Zarathustra (in Greek, Zoroaster) actually lived. Speculation ranges from 6,000 to 600 B.C.E. What is known, however, is that for a period of approximately 1,000 years, Zoroastrianism was a very prominent religion, certainly the most powerful in the Middle East, perhaps the most powerful in the world. Over this period, which is generally held to have been from 549 B.C.E. to 642 C.E.

However, because both Christianity and Islam were founded after Zoroastrianism, they were both influenced to a much greater degree, and tenets of faith that were originally found in Zoroastrianism were incorporated into Christianity and Islam on a very noticeable level. In fact, many aspects of Christianity and Islam that many people think typify these two religions have their roots in Zoroastrianism.
>>
Too far to go back. The oldest "Religious" beliefs would have been before recording things was even a concept.

However you can probably bet that Sun worship was involved in some way

Ignore Judaism, Sumerian, and Zoroastrianist shills
>>
Ivar Lissner's "Man, God and Magic" explores stone-age religions. Tl;Dr top predators of the area and/or fertility but more interestingly monotheism.
>>
>>16921548
"created"
You mean revealed?
>>
File: 1446123094789.jpg (85KB, 550x521px) Image search: [Google]
1446123094789.jpg
85KB, 550x521px
I think what you mean the oldest meme

Judaism got a solid 6-10,000 years on it

The Jewish Calender never restarted, it's 5776 right now
>>
File: ASTRO.png (20KB, 1664x327px) Image search: [Google]
ASTRO.png
20KB, 1664x327px
The oldest religion is the Paleolithic religion.
It's pretty much a mystery except for the following:
1.) Burying the dead
2.) Associating Cows with Motherhood
3.) Associating Bulls with Protectors, Fatherhood
4.) Burying the dead with weapons and jewelry
5.) Disposing of food waste in the same spot
6.) Marking entraces to homes
7.) Drawing animals and hunts
8.) Carving half-human half-animal wooden figures
9.) Carving goddess figures and phallus symbols
10.) Symbols such as suns, spirals and people figures

Neolithic was pretty much the same, but they started to align stones with stars to keep track of time, and therefore seasons.

The Bronze age religion expanded, stars become associated with stories to remind tribes of stories associated with duties and lessons. This lead to elemental ruductionalist methods that later expanded to adapt to local legends.

The early bronze religion is called URRELION by those that study it.
It is also refered to as PROTORELIGION.
>>
>>16921723
Implying zoroastrianism is monotheism.
>>
There are/were many religions that didn't worship a god/gods.
I reckon the oldest one would have to be something that worshipped nature or the sun.
>>
THE oldest religion is aupposed to be Animism.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sIF78QYCI
>>
>>16923482
I would consider this the oldest understanding of religion that we, in modern culture, can relate to as a communal faith.
I would like to dive deeper into the oldest organized faith, but of course with these kind of things, there's no way of truly knowing. Before cave paintings they could have carved small things into rocks but after thousands of year now those marking could be eroded away. Anything from before this period will forever be a mystery
>>
>>16921548

Why do you assume older = truer?
>>
>>16921548
Let me direct you to the prophet Frank Zappa, who tells of the Great L. Ron Hoover, founder of the Church of Appliantology.

The prophet Zappa tells the tale in his masterful work "Joe's Garage".
>>
>>16923902
Dis guy knows
>>
What makes you think proto religions would be more correct?
>>
>>16923876
I don't, I wanted to know the oldest religion ever recorded, where did you even get your statement from.
>>
>>16921548
its probably something stupid around fire or something. something without any spiruality believing bullshit the elders talk because nobody understands whats going on.

ups.
>>
>>16924307
or something to do with someone recently dead. I always figured that the earliest proto-religion started out something like this.

"Oh man, Og's dead. We all really liked Og. Hey, I know, let's stuff his body, prop him back up at his chair at dinner and just act like he's here! Maybe it'll bring him back. And if it doesn't, maybe his mind is somewhere else, listening, and will appreciate it!"

or

"Oh man Og is dead. Thank god that guy was a nightmarish, murderous monster! We...we need to cut his head off, bury him and plant a tree where we put the body to make sure there's absolutely no chance HE EVER COMES BACK!"
>>
>>16923481
>Judaism got a solid 6-10,000 years on it

Bullshit. Their dating of time relates to their mythology, not to its beginning. There was nothing recognizable as "Judaism" before the 5th-6th centuries BCE.
>>
Animism. Read David Abram's or Graham Harvey's works if you're interested in learning more.
>>
>>16921548
>/x/ whats the oldest religion ever created,
Hyperpenisism.
>>
>>16923388
>Sun worship

ding ding ding this is the correct answer
>>
>>16921548
Animism or ancestor worship.
>>
anthropologically the answer is most likely animism.

basically everything is "animated"- has a something like a spirit or soul, living or not
>>
File: Shiva8.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
Shiva8.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>16921548
Oldest religion still being practiced is Saivism which comes from Rudraism.
>>
>>16921548
Man has likely always entertained superstitious beliefs, however, the first type of practice which we can classify as "religion" was Neolythic goddess worship.
>>
The first religion began when primative peoples encountered fire, and when they were able to ponder where it came from. A good deal of emphasis would soon be put on where the smoke goes.
Fire, or moreso mankinds interaction with it would shape just about every religion I can think of.
>>
File: TgprGAW.jpg (718KB, 1318x912px) Image search: [Google]
TgprGAW.jpg
718KB, 1318x912px
>>16921548
everything you need to know.
>>
>>16929345
wrong. day night cycle would be the first thing any sentient being would notice. day 1 big bright point that moves night dark with little points that move together and a big duller point of light that moves independent of the small points
>>
Sun/Animal worship are the two most common oldschool religions. Minimal information about them still exists other than the blatant subject of worship.
>>
>>16929349
Those timelines are wrong though. The scales of evolution where much shorter by a magnitude of ten.
>>
There's a species before homeosapians that seem to have had burial rituals so religion likely predates our species.

Don't ask me the name, I can't remember.
>>
>>16929470
It was either Neanderthals or Homo Erectus
>>
>>16929470
homo naledi
>>
>>16929470
Yes, ritual burial or ritual "dealing with dead people in some form," is a strong contender for earliest proto-religious/spiritual practice.
>>
Vedic
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.