[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First PC Build, Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: sb.jpg (49KB, 500x299px) Image search: [Google]
sb.jpg
49KB, 500x299px
Hey all, I'm building my very first PC and I would like some input.

I mainly want a PC that can run basic 1920x1080 at 60-80 fps reliably and with most games that you throw at it.

I don't know about PCs so most of my choices are based off quick google searches on what's good, what's not good, etc.

I'm looking for advice, help, or any tips that you would give to someone building a PC for the first time.

Here's a list to my build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PYrPbv
>>
Well you made a basic pc that could deliver qhd with 75 fps. So what u should add is an SSD and a cpu cooler. Optional u could add another 8 gb ram
>>
>>96756
Also is the price important to you or do you have a limit?
>>
Have you checked out Logical Increments?
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>>
>>96764
That's a nice site anon
>>
Okay, I see a few glaring mistakes in your build, OP. I have a massive level of experience in building kickass desktops on both professional and personal levels. Please listen to my advice.

Okay, so your processor choice is solid. The 6700k offers only a 3% increase in performance and, in order to utilize it, you need everything to be compatible with the 1151 chipset. No bueno, at least not yet until the crazy prices come down. So, your 4790k is awesome.

Motherboard: Trash. Never, and I mean NEVER, cheap out on a motherboard. You want the MSI Gaming 5 or 7.

RAM: Having a single 8GB chip means your memory will run in single channel which is slower than dual channel. In order to get dual channel, you need 2x4GB instead of 1x8GB. I'd really recommend 16GB RAM to be future proof, though. If you opt for 16GB, get 2x8GB.

HDD: Why are we still using mechanical HDD's in 2016?? Please upgrade to a small solid state and use an external HDD or a 2nd internal HDD as your storage drive. You can get a Crucial MX200 250GB for like $80.

GPU: You really don't want a 970, OP. The 970 is riddled with problems with the last .5GB of VRAM. Once you use a game or application that taps into that last .5GB, your performance will seriously take a shit. This is a known issue all over. Get yourself an MSI 980. Gigabyte isn't the best of GPU companies, either. MSI is.

Case: Meh, it looks like it has decent airflow but it doesn't have a pretty window on the side :(. I love my Corsair 450D and I highly recommend it for $120.

Operating System: Um, why are you not pirating this? I'd rather see you have a cracked Windows version and put that $100 towards better parts. Just saying.

Power Supply: It's solid and from a good company but their Supernova G2 line is a bit nicer AND fully modular so it'll look neater if you get a windowed case.

I'll be around for more questions and shit if you want.
>>
>>96769
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R8mRf7

There's a build I built for you, it's a rock solid platform and worth every penny.
>>
File: 01111111111.png (164KB, 2654x890px) Image search: [Google]
01111111111.png
164KB, 2654x890px
>>
swap your 1 stick of 8gb ram for 2 sticks of 4gb ram for double the ram bandwidth (more performance)

intel i7's are expensive and unneccesary, an i5 has more than enough power for modern gaming

consider getting windows 7 or 8, then remove some installed updates as there are updates that are literally spyware provided by microsoft, and win10 has all this crap built in that canno be removed. /g/'s wiki page has the list of updates that should be removed

also consider what he said ^^^ about gimped graphics cards
>>
>>96769
>>96771
OP here, I know almost nothing about computers so thanks for this advice. I just like games.
I'd love to put in the time to actually learn about it but I'm rather lazy and would rather focus on classes and work. I also have no idea how to go about getting a cracked windows 7 / 8 / 10. I could figure it out but I've been putting aside ~$200 / month so I can afford to just buy it.
I'll look into that build
>>
>>96796
How much do you have saved up so far?
>>
>>96800
I've got about 1500 in my splurge account
>>
>>96771
Is a cooler really necessary if i'm not overclocking?
Would the stock one be fine?
>>
>>96822
Yeah, but not that idiot's watercooler.
Get a Hyper 212 clone for $20 or some shit. Go for noctuas if you're hardcore.
>>
>>96822
If you're not overclocking then the 4790k is essentially wasted on you. I know it has a very solid base clock speed but, damn, why are you building a custom rig if you don't want to get into this stuff and learn about it? It's fun, dude.

>>96836
I'm going to assume you're trolling. The H100i will keep his processor cooler by 5-10 degrees (which is a significant range when talking about CPU temps) and a high end liquid cooler like the H100i is practically necessary for heavy, stable overclocks. If you want to fry your CPU with a budget cooler then be my guest.

Oh, air coolers are uglier and louder too. Food for thought.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.