[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which addons should I remove?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: my addons.png (87KB, 291x722px) Image search: [Google]
my addons.png
87KB, 291x722px
I'm running 64-bit Firefox on an Athlon 860k with 16GB of ram, and for whatever reason I'm getting frequent freezes on sites like 4chan, Tumblr, and Reddit, particularly when I have a lot of tabs open. You'd think my system would be more than powerful enough to handle it, but evidently it's not. I have a shitload of addons installed and I am seriously considering removing or at least disabling some of them. NoScript in particular is quite annoying, and it's almost pointless since I end up having to enable a bunch of scripts on the sites I use anyway, but *supposedly* it's supposed to speed things up.

Anyway, given that I probably have some redundant addons, what should I remove, and what should I be using instead? I've heard plenty of people say that Ghostery isn't a good addon, but I can't think of any other privacy addons that block cookies like it does. I've also heard plenty of people praise uMatrix, but every time I've tried using it, it's made my head spin. Is there like a preset blacklist I can download for it or something?

I've considered switching to Chrome a number of times, but it's a privacy nightmare and its addon engine sucks. I also don't like how hidden away most of its options are.
>>
File: 1370935337594.jpg (356KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
1370935337594.jpg
356KB, 1000x700px
>Reddit enhancement suite
>Tumblr Hi-Res
>>
ghostery is garbage. you don't really need noscript and ublock origin, delete noscript. what greasemonkey scripts are you running?
>>
Have you run it in safe mode without any addons to see if an addon is causing it?

If it still happens without addons then it's not any addon causing the issue.

Install Sandboxie, then run a sandboxed Firefox. Inside there uninstall one by one until you finally stop the stuttering. That's the one you can get rid of outside the sandbox.
>>
>>78850
Go ahead and laugh. I was expecting to get flak for those.

>>78851
I can't live without my adblocking. Also, I use greasemonkey mainly for 4chan-x.

>>78852
I'm on Linux. Sandboxie is a no go.
>>
I run more addons than you do and I'm having no trouble at all. From the looks of your current addons nothing seems to look to be causing it.

It could be problems elsewhere like your cpu. Have you ever pulled up task manager to actually check the cpu and memory usage?

If it really is your addons, then I think ultimately you may need to try disabling each one, one by one unless there's a new addon that let's you see the resource usage of each individual addon.

>>78851
>ghostery is garbage. you don't really need noscript and ublock origin
Care to explain why?
>>
>>78856

>I'm on Linux. Sandboxie is a no go.

Remove flashgot, doesn't Downthemall! do the same thing? they might be clashing, keep one and see if that helps.

How many greasemonkey scripts are you using?

Reload plus seems fucking useless.

Self destructing cookies also seems retarded. I'm surprised a Linux user would be using this. Keep the cookie and if you don't trust a cookie then you shouldn't be visiting the site.

Why do you have so many security addons if you're on Linux?
>>
>>78865
I use Flashgot for downloading videos occasionally. Truth be told I could probably keep it disabled most of the time.

Pretty much just 4chan X and a Deviantart gallery ripper.

I have shit Canadian internet and it can help sometimes when pages are too stubborn to load.

I hop between Windows and Linux every so often. IDK, I'm just kind of a tinfoil hat type. Also, I installed self-destructing cookies because Firefox no longer reliably deletes cookies on exit, even if you set it to.
>>
>be 2016
>not using palemoon x64 instead of the australis atrocity

disable them one at a time to see if it makes a difference
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.