[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi, not a tech guy here but I figured you're the people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
hi, not a tech guy here but I figured you're the people to ask cause you know what's up:

I'm running Windows 7 ultimate and I have a shitty old Alienware Area 51 that we bought gutted from dads sketchy buddy (2 GB ram/2.40 processor) and it BSOD on me a month ago. We gave it to this high school kid training in tech cert., and he "fixed it" with a new 500g hard drive, and without even screwing the bottom fully back on. So it just BSOD on me again today, it seems to be workin now

The question I have is I'm wondering if I should upgrade to Windows 10, apparently it's free, but with how old and slow the comp's been, I'm wondering if 10 would make it run even slower. Not to mention from reading around I've heard w10 logs data like a mother fucker, and I plan on torrenting a bunch of shit once I get this thing in good condition. It's just so slow and idk how to figure it out tho. Can anyone here help me?
>>
>>41387
I mean honestly I'd just say put your effort into getting a new rig. However, if you're set on sticking with the one you have I wouldn't upgrade to Windows 10. It'll need more RAM than 2gb. Even 7 doesn't run that well until it has 4 or more.

Don't worry about the torrenting and stuff. I mean, don't get caught but Microsoft is the least of your worries there.
>>
>>41387
No, Windows 10 is faster.

It has a smaller memory footprint, and implements modern technologies that Windows 7 doesn't, such as compressed swap.
>>
You ha have one month to downgrade back to Windows 7 or 8 if you don't like Windows 10
>>
>>41387
Here's a bit of wisdom for you:

Windows 10 is fucking trash.
>>
>>41393
Well here's the deal, and you're right, I am trying to get a new PC more than anything because this kid really Gerryrigged this thing, but i need this one to work for school. I have two classes that specifically require my use of a computer, the only other option would be going to the library. It blue screened just last night, which scares me. It could have to do with the back panel not being screwed in, so later today I'm going to have to try screwing the screws back in (this kid didn't even take the screws with him lololol)

It was running xp before it crashed, it was more or less running fine maybe occasional slowdown? But now the thing is more like slowdown with the occasional competent functioning. I don't want to dump a lot of cash into this thing because it's now the laptop equivalent of a lemon car. I'm not even sure what's involved in buying 2G ram or how much it is (I'll look it up) but even if it did help performance idk if it would solve the underlying blue screen issue, which has to be a driver or something
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.