[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any materials anons out there? Can anyone tell me why carbon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Types_of_Carbon_Nanotubes.png (2MB, 1984x1840px) Image search: [Google]
Types_of_Carbon_Nanotubes.png
2MB, 1984x1840px
Any materials anons out there? Can anyone tell me why carbon nanotubes are still not in mainstream use in composites as load bearing reinforcement? F-35 has a few parts where they are included, but those parts don't carry any particular structural loads.

Did nanotubes fail? There was so much hype about them some years ago.
>>
>>380662
they're hard to make
>>
>>380670
Could you elaborate? I don't want any detailed industrial manufacturing secrets.

I mean I don't get it. I just bought a roll of IM9 3K carbon fiber with epoxy sizing for my fishing rod making hobby. IM10 would have been available too as 6K. I have been looking at news about carbon nanotubes ever since I first heard about them like 20 years ago, but they haven't yet shown up as a product. I'd just like to know why is that so.
>>
>>380674
its just not cost effective at the moment, far to small a scale to be able to mass produce them effectively which drives up cost and all that.
I believe it is mainly because of the size of the part and not the actual material it is, everything just needs to be insanely precise
>>
>>380885
You are not telling anything about it. I would pay 50 grand and more for a useful roll for my fishing rods. I simply want the best stuff there is for my thing and the cost is the least of the matters. But it isn't simply happening.
>>
>>380662
They are extremely expensive to make and at the moment, next to impossible to make a significant amount of it flawlessly, one atom out of place and the whole tube becomes brittle and only has a fraction of its proper strength. I think the longest tube anyone has been able to make so far is a few metres and that is in a laboratory. It will be decades before you will see any sort of large-scale production involving carbon tube or sheets, and even then it will likely only be in high-end products like electronic chips never mind your fishing rods.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.