[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice For PC Build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: pc.png (62KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
pc.png
62KB, 400x400px
I am trying to get into PC gaming and I heard that the most cost effective way is to buy various components and install everything yourself. However, I am pretty out of my depth, being not so tech savvy so I have a bunch of questions.

I am very frugal so I settled on a ~400-$500 build from here: https ://elitegamingcomputers.com/good-cheap-gaming-computers/#20. Looking to play games like Witcher, Souls games and the like, seems to be good enough for that.

First question is if this is even a good build. I am totally clueless so for all I know I could be getting scammed by someone getting kickbacks for shilling subpar products.

Second, if it is legit, I want to upgrade the RAM and Graphics card from this build since it doesn't seem to be too much more expensive (~$30 for 4gb to 8gb RAM, ~$50 to go from 2gb to 4gb GPU). Can components that are essentially the same (brand and all) but with more memory be swapped out?

Third, I know that electrical components need cooling, but I see that a lot of these components come with a fan. Will I need additional cooling on top of this?
>>
you can literally buy fans from walmart. don't worry about that, you prob won't run into cooking issues anyways. as long as your power supply supports your new graphics card, go for the 4gb. it is very much worth it lad.

8gb is a pretty good idea but save that for after the graphics card. also don't worry about building a pc, literally 7 pieces of electronics that fit into universal ports and just need to be plugged in

don't let pc building intimidate you. also everything can be swapped out. everything. don't worry about that either. plus you can mix brands of ram like i did your pc will be fine. just be careful with your motherboard and your CPU cause those need to match up
>>
>>380170
Alright, thank you for the information! I'll definitely upgrade the suggested GPU then, and I do want more RAM (I heard 8gb is ideal for gaming) since it's especially cheap to upgrade. I'll be buying it all at once since I can afford it so I might as well get the upgrade now to replace my failing PC.

In your opinion, are warranties worth it? I've never had issues with my current PC despite it being refurbrished from 2010, and I don't do stupid shit like spill drinks on it so I don't anticipate needing one, but I am unsure if certain components are worth covering.
>>
>>380177
my friend had his GPU bust on him the other week, we don't know why. Personally if i would scrap the pc i have now and build another i wouldn't buy warranties cause the shit the companies makes works, its very difficult to destroy a PC part without overclocking. i didn't buy warranties before, and half my parts are from craigslist so i couldn't get them anyway, but i don't think it's worth it. unless it's like 4 bucks then yea why not but 29.99 really isn't worth it. your pc doesn't move so there's no reason it should get fucked up.

also when you're building try to build on hardwood not carpet floor if you can. if you don't have that option it's not a big deal but just something to keep in mind

t. built pc 2 years ago, only slight issue with a HDD from CL
>>
>>380191
So no warranty, thank you.

As for OS, can I search online for Windows 7, then put it on a flash drive to install it? Sure as hell am not using Windows 10, my prior experience with it was non stop crashes. Not to mention that they actively log and share all your info.
>>
>>380198
you can probably search for keys for older versions of windows. when i made a virtual machine i found the windows XP key from some guy on YT

as far as installing an operating system without an operating system...dunno what to tell you tbqh. i've only successfully installed tails and failed with linux. not really my strong suit. windows 10 only crashes since i've put in my new HDD and i just restart and everything works fine. dunno what the issue is but other than a restart before use my pc works perfect
>>
wait actually on second thought it should work if you save the installed system on another harddrive, but to do that you need a second PC, then you can just install THAT hard drive into your own pc and use somebody's key. once windows loads. but you do need to have the whole system, not an ISO
>>
OS aside, I just realized that I'll have to upgrade the HDD as well. PC games take up a lot of space no? I can see only having 250gb becoming a problem. Should I go for a 1tb?
>>
>>380213
you can easily scoop a 1TB off of craigslist for $40. and yes an upgrade is do 250 won't work lol but if you're gaming light like i was for a year and a half 500 will suffice.
>>
Ah one more thing before I buy everything. There was no mention in that build for a sound card, do I need to buy one just for the sound to work?
>>
>>380165

I would recommend you get a SSD as your boot and "program files" drive, then use a HDD for storage. There is a good performance benefit from using SSDs.
>>
>>380223
Sound is already integrated to mobo.
>>
>>380267
Thank you!

>>380264
Does a motherboard allow for two drives? And do I have to do something special so that one drive is used for program files and the other is used for storage (I've heard something about partitioning before, not sure if that applies)?

Also, will having an SSD for program files really improve performance that much when I already have decent RAM? I'm barely computer literate enough to understand RAM, but I do know that how it boosts speed is different from other components (and how having more than you need does nothing).
>>
>>380270

Yes, mobos allow for more than one drive. Check the spec on the mobo you choose.

Install the OS onto the SSD, that then becomes the default drive for everything. After that relocate the Libraries in their "properties" dialogue box (there are plenty of yt vids to show you how).

Also, Win10 is fine. I know some autists are going spurge out but it really is fine. Almost everything actively sells your data and shit every time you go online, it is what it is.
>>
>>380282

Forgot to say that SSDs are basically non volatile RAM, they "run" a lot faster than a HDD as there are no moving parts.
>>
>>380270
ALERT OP, i am anon who was helping you originally, soccer practice is over, sorry.

RAM does not boost speed. that's a common misconception- RAM stands for random access memory- so basically it's how much "stuff" your computer can handle at one time. more intensive computers that are made to run a lot of things at work, such as a desk job that deals a lot with files, requires more ram than the next guy who just wants to play grand theft auto. it doesn't boost gameplay at all, and it doesn't make your computer "faster", how ever i can see where the faster misconception sprouts as if you have a ton of programs open on a computer with 4 gigs vs. one with 8 gigs, the one with 8 gigs will run the programs more efficiently.

you can google it for more understanding im not very good at explaining this shit
>>
>>380282
Hm, so a 250gb SSD for program files and 1tb HDD for storage should be good right?

In regards to OS, I admit that my view of 10 is tarnished by the fact that I tried it when they were giving it out for free, and it was quite literally nonstop blue screens. Boot up, login, wait 30 seconds, crash. They've no doubt improved it since then but I hear a bunch of complaints even up until now.

Come to think of it, can't I just transfer my entire OS/memory from my current computer onto the SSD? I'm certain I can find a guide online for how to do it, it might actually be a more cost effective option.

>>380289
I understood it as more RAM makes things faster only if you don't have enough RAM for the tasks you're trying to do.

Also, to all who responded, thank you so much! Like I said, I am very new to all of this stuff.
>>
>>380291
>Hm, so a 250gb SSD for program files and 1tb HDD for storage should be good right?
Yes that sounds fine until your film folder gets too large

>In regards to OS, I admit that my view of 10 is tarnished by the fact that I tried it when they were giving it out for free, and it was quite literally nonstop blue screens. Boot up, login, wait 30 seconds, crash. They've no doubt improved it since then but I hear a bunch of complaints even up until now.
I'm running that free upgrade right now, I don't have any performance issues with it.

>Come to think of it, can't I just transfer my entire OS/memory from my current computer onto the SSD? I'm certain I can find a guide online for how to do it, it might actually be a more cost effective option.
Yes, you can do that. That is what I did. You have to reduce the size of your current partition to the same size as the SSD and then clone it onto the SSD. The SSD manufacturer will likely have free software for that purpose. I'm not up on the latest best SSDs but I have a Samsung 850 Evo and have had no problems with it at all.
>>
>>380292
wait is there a way i can revert to windows 7? different anon, not OP here
>>
>>380293

I'm pretty certain there is no way to "revert" back to Win7, (other anons might know for sure).
>>
>>380298
well i know that but i mean what i meant was:

>download windows 7 onto my other HDD
>swipe a key somehow
>???
>windows 10 is removed
>have windows 7, no windows 10

i might still have the CD for when i originally loaded 64 bit onto my pc so maybe that work??
>>
>>380299

About to eat but I found this

https://superuser.com/questions/1020925/install-win7-on-a-new-win-10-laptop

>From the Reboot Menu, select “Troubleshoot” → “Advanced options” → “UEFI Firmware Settings”. The PC will then reboot and open the settings afterwards. From there, you need to disable Secure Boot to be able to install Windows 7 x64 in UEFI mode. You should also disable Fast Boot to be able to access the UEFI Setup without going through Advanced Reboot.

>However, you may find that drivers for certain hardware are no longer available for old operating systems. Please research that first."

The MBR and UEFI shit is important.
>>
>>380165
>First question is if this is even a good build
i'd never call a build with a Pentium good
>>
>>380315
he's on a budget he can just upgrade later
>>
>>380317
Pentium would probably bottleneck the videocard
if i was him i'd invest in a good processor game on integrated graphics till i get the money to buy videocard
>>
>>380318
>Pentium would probably bottleneck the videocard

Is this true? It would certainly be a waste to buy a slightly more expensive graphics card only for it to turn out that my processor limits the speed anyway.
>>
>>380320
probably
gtx 1050 is a decent card
not to mention some games depend on processor a lot
get an i3 bro
trust me
jew on the ram and leave it at 4 till you absolutely need more
>>
>>380323
this
>>
>>380323
>get an i3 bro

You misspelled AMD
>>
>>380323
Like I said, I'm new at this, so please bear with me. I see an i3 on amazon that will run me ~$30 more,

https ://www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-7100-Desktop-Processor-BX80677I37100/dp/B01NCESRJX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505167640&sr=8-1&keywords=i3+processor

and I think it's dual core like the pentium right? However I do see that it has high processor speed, which I really don't have a reference point for as far as performance goes. All I see is that 3.9 > 3.6ghz. Does that really make a large difference? I looked up some differences between I3 and Pentium but most of what I got was something about i3 having more cache and running graphics better.
>>
>>380331
your cpu processes shit.

if you shoot a guy in CSGO with a 3.6 it will register a fraction of a second slower than 3.9. it's also useful for other things that i can't think of, but the reaction time is important to a ton of people.
>>
>>380334
If that's the main reason then I'm not sold on the upgrade. I'm primarily going to play single player games, as my internet is pretty shit and will bottleneck me harder than any hardware when it comes to online play.
>>
>>380329
equivalent AMD works too
>>380331
i say go for it
it is dual core yes
>>380334
that's not true
Planet-side 2 bottle-necked on my cpu
apearantly they render shadows using cpu
mmo's are cpu intensive
World of tanks also bottle-necked on my cpu
>>
File: IMG_0935.jpg (64KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0935.jpg
64KB, 645x773px
>>380339
>world of tanks bottlenecked my cpu
>implying i didn't say mmo games don't bottleneck your cpu

ok
>>
>>380339
>equivalent AMD works too

Yeah, that's not so easy to know either. You can't just compare stated speeds as the two architectures work differently. For instance I have a 2Ghz i3 laptop from work and it is much slower than the 1.6Ghz AMD laptop I own, and I'm not talking about gaming just opening programs and surfing. AMDs give better performance for your $ until you start to pay $300 plus for CPUs. I would definitely get an AMD if your planning to spend $80/110
>>
>>380350
If AMD is indeed better, I could use some recommendations then. With Pentium/i3 I have a reference point from the build I linked but searching AMD Dual Core or whatever on amazon gives me a bunch of stuff that I am not sure I can pick out correctly. Also it says something about AM2 sockets, is that something to do with what motherboard it is compatible with?
>>
>>380359

Deleted my other post as it was all old tech and I have found a better list

https://stickystatic.com/tech/budget-gaming-pc

But I would change the mobo to https://www.amazon.com/AM3/dp/B06XS4FVRN/?tag=ss-game-build-20&th=1 as it's ATX not microATX (you get more PCi slots)

Assuming you have a case already and only want 4Gb RAM this falls into your price range, but I would also suggest a better CPU cooler than the stock cooler, maybe https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-RR-212E-20PK-R2-120mm/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1505174208&sr=1-3&keywords=processor+cooler
>>
>>380385

Oh, and add the SSD
>>
>>380385
he said earlier he wanted 8gb ram
>>
>>380392

I misremembered, Unless he's video editing or competitively gaming I don't think he needs 8Gb, but it's only about $40 difference
>>
>>380394
you mean he doesn't need 16gb*

8 is average
4 is too little
16 is too much

i have 16 anyway for the meme
>>
>>380388
Is it possible for me to just go with the HDD, see how that works, then get an SSD and move the OS if I feel the need to? With your suggested build and a new monitor (need both monitor and case, current monitor dies intermittently, case is from almost a decade ago and small), I'm pushing $700, and an SSD is around another $80.
>>
>>380408
16GB is not too much.
You don't have to get them right now, but there is already a benefit. Several games already profit from having them, especially in the minimum fps.
For example anything based on the newest frostbite, like Battlefield and Battlefront.
>>
You need at least 8gb vram. (gpu ram)
Just saying.
Get Ryzen cpu Nvidia GPU.
>>
>>380431
>implying 16 gigs is needed to run games cause games primarily run through RAM

it's not even bait at this point
>>
>>380459
8gb of GPU memory? what are you smoking?
>>
>>380475
>You don't have to get them right now
>Several games already profit from having them, especially in the minimum fps.

Anon, are you an idiot, or did you just chose not to read?
>>
>>380417

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, you can go without the SSD and add it later quite easily. But there is a noticeable performance difference. If you have a HDD in your current PC you could use that as storage after setting up your new build with a SSD, maybe?
>>
>>380923
It's all good, we all have busy lives (except the NEETs).

And yeah, I can totally do that, no clue why it didn't cross my mind. Saves me the hassle of transferring stuff to a new drive.

Also, now that I think about it, should I wait for black Friday to roll around before commiting to this? I don't have a pressing need to play PC games, and am fairly frugal (just this $600 price tag is making me sweat). Not sure whether individual components would actually go on sale though, does anyone have experience with price fluctuations?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.