[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC battery life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: Screenshot_156.png (3KB, 339x121px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_156.png
3KB, 339x121px
My PC can't survive without being charged for less than an hour meaning every 11-20 minutes i have to charge it constantly

What i've been doing to combat this issue:
Use power saver option
Let my PC sleep and charger rest (by unplugging it) when not in use
Using Opera instead of chrome which according to WIN10 uses alot of my battery life

And i can't replace the battery either

anyone know a way i can make it normal again?
>>
>>379121
Just leave it plugged in.

Unplugging it won't make a difference: the charger (the real charger inside the laptop) is smart enough to manage the battery.

>And i can't replace the battery either
>anyone know a way i can make it normal again?
Yeah, replace the battery. If there was a magical trick to unfuck batteries, the computer would be doing it already.
>>
>>379123

Not sure how keeping it plugged in for a long time until it gives up on charging will help

i did that once and the charger refused to charge the laptop because the battery was full

i have a feeling that keeping it plugged it will just tear the charger up

the battery is lithium ion and my laptop is an ASUS notebook
>>
>>379127
All a "charger" is is a power supply.

The laptop is smart enough to charge (or not charge) its own battery as required.

If you leave it plugged in when you use it, that means you're not cycling the battery, which is the thing that's most harmful to it. Unless you have an actual reason to use the battery, you shouldn't be using the battery. I do hope you weren't constantly charging and discharging the battery to keep from "overcharging" it: the laptop takes care of that itself, and charging and discharging is the thing that harms batteries most.
>>
>>379133

that only happened because at the time it was actually charging the battery because it was low

i eventually fell asleep and over that time i was asleep it was charged and was still plugged in

when i eventually woke up i noticed it was blinking and refused to charge

good thing it didn't mean it couldn't be used anymore

it doesn't stay at 100 but drop to 90 or 80 and it says i have 16 minutes

i /have/ been constantly plugging in and out the charger because i needed to keep the battery from dying

because i need to use my laptop and it's the only device i have.

the hell am i supposed to do? let it hit 0 and not plug it?
>>
10 minutes
38% remaining
>>
>>379161

Still at 38% and i have yet to get a message that the battery is low
>>
>>379171

5 minutes 23% remaining
>>
>>379154
Plug it in, leave it plugged in, and use it plugged in.

Do you live in a treehouse or something?
>>
>>379182

An ordinary house

And no

the other guy said that the charger is nothing more than a power supply not a battery manager

the one that controls the battery is my laptop
>>
>>379183
So if you're at home, and you live in an ordinary house, why do you keep unplugging it?

Do you not have an outlet where you're using it?

Do you just enjoy destroying batteries?
>>
>>379187

BECAUSE THE BATTERY IS FUCKING FULL

It's like being told to keep pouring water in a glass when it's already full

keeping it charged will just cause the charger to not charge it for a while and if i keep doing that it might possibly not work at all
>>
>>379190

C'mon i need to know so i don't have to keep doing it
>>
>>379190
Oh, I see now. it's because you're a retard.

You trashed your battery by unplugging it all the time despite being feet from an outlet, and now you're trashing it further because you don't get that laptops can run on AC.

>>379213
Keep it plugged in, stop unplugging it, and use it plugged in. It's a laptop, not a phone.
>>
>>379221

How many times do i have to say this you fucking moron:

I unplugged it because it was fully charged

if i kept plugged in while the battery is at 100% for more than an hour it will stop charging and will refuse to charge.

the laptop even blinked stating it was overcharge and i couldn't use the battery
>>
>>379230

*The laptop blinked because it was overcharged and the charger couldn't be used

Why would i keep it plugged in if it's fully charged?

that's just neglecting the charger more than the battery
>>
File: Screenshot_157.png (3KB, 209x60px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_157.png
3KB, 209x60px
>>379231

>>
>>379240
>I unplugged it because it was fully charged
You're an imbecile.

You're supposed to keep laptops plugged in unless you're using them somewhere you can't.

You ruined your battery by using it when you didn't need to.

It's a laptop, not a phone. Look on your "charger". It won't say "charger" anywhere on it, it will say "AC adapter", because you're meant to have it plugged in except when you actually can't.
>>
>>379244

>>379244

>>You're supposed to keep laptops plugged in unless you're using them somewhere you can't.

Nice job completely ignoring what i mentioned what happens if i keep it plugged in while it's at 100% for more than an hour.

IT
WON'T
CHARGE
AT
ALL

im trying to restore the battery life

not destroy my fucking charger
>>
>>379252

Because im sure it'll help the battery out
>>
>>379252
Why would you expect it to "charge" if it's already full?

This is normal, expected behaviour.
>>
>>If you leave it plugged in when you use it, that means you're not cycling the battery, which is the thing that's most harmful to it.

>>You're supposed to keep it plugged in

?????
>>
>>379259

Someone said im supposed to keep it plugged in even if it's at 100%.....

but when i unplugged it the battery life only gets shorter

ASUS' help account on twitter isn't even active and was just created 8 days ago
>>
>>379260
Please just remove your idiotic, ESL ass from this board.

Using batteries wears them out. You're not going to make your battery newer by using it more.
>>
>>379262

Nah man fuck you

im going to wait for another response from someone that can explain without being an ass.
>>
>>379264

Or just ask ASUS, the people i got the laptop from
>>
>>379264
Another anon here, this guy is not the problem, you are.
You do not understand how batteries work.
Batteries have limited amount of charge/uncharge cycles. The more you use them, the faster they die.

If you keep a laptop plugged in until it is fully charged, it will then no longer charge the battery and instead directly supply the laptop with power.
This is what is supposed to happen.
This is good, because that means you don't wear out the battery.
If your laptop were to actually overcharge the battery, it would explode. That obviously is not happening.
If the battery is already worn out from constant misuse over many years, then there is nothing more you can do to restore it.

What exact model are you using, since when have you been using it, and did you always do this? Did you use it as a desktop replacement, but kept unplugging whenever it was charged?
>>
>>379266
>>379266

Never said he wasn't the problem he didn't explain what i kept mentioning if i just kept it plugged in even at 100% and kept calling me a retard over something i wasn't aware of.
It's an ASUS notebook and had it since December 2014 i have the box for it but i can't seem to find anything else about it if you need anymore information.
the batteries it runs on are Lithium ion.
and if the battery is supplying more power to the laptop why did it the first time i did that on accident the laptop was blinking (the same way it warns me that my battery is low) and refused to charge? it kept blinking for a while until it stopped and i could use my charger again.
>>
>>379271
Your problem is you don't read.

>and if the battery is supplying more power to the laptop
It's not, nobody said that, wtf anon.

If the battery is full, the laptop will ignore it and the parts that run on electricity in your laptop will take that electricity directly through your ac adapter, instead of using the battery.

>i did that once and the charger refused to charge the laptop because the battery was full

Which is EXACTLY what is supposed to happen. This is what you WANT to happen. You want it to charge to 100%, then stop charging. Then you leave it plugged in to reduce wear on the battery, or plug it out if you don't care about the battery slowly getting worse over time.
Your blinking is probably a sigal to tell you it is full, nothing more.
Read the manual if you want to know exactly what it means.
I've never heard of a laptop that makes a charger "unusable", what do you even mean by that?
Your battery obviously can not charge if it is full, there are physical safeties to ensure that does not happen.

>the battery is lithium ion
Every laptop battery is lithium ion.
>>
And I am sorry to say, but a battery that is this fucked will never be great again. It will only get worse over time.
If you do want to use it without plugging in, prepare to replace your battery every few years, depending on how much you use it.

Some more specifics about your laptop should be on a sticker on the bottom side of your laptop. Or in the manual/papers that came with it.
Or you can use a tool like CPU-Z to identify it further. I recommend doing that, so you can buy the correct battery.
also, keep away from cheap chinese knockoffs, since they will die even quicker.
>>
File: Screenshot_158.png (8KB, 394x210px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_158.png
8KB, 394x210px
>>379289
>It's not, nobody said that, wtf anon.

>>379266
>>If you keep a laptop plugged in until it is fully charged, it will then no longer charge the battery and instead directly supply the laptop with power.

i didn't literally mean more but the laptop is being given power instead of the battery according to that post

Also im pretty sure it doesn't apply to all laptops as they can differ

and if that were the case would'int' it make sense for those who made them to say that the power is going to the laptop and not the battery

instead of just saying 'Fully charged (100%)' ?

>>Every laptop battery is lithium ion.

To put it bluntly: The battery isn't a pop-out, get a new one and pop it in type as i wasn't given another one (battery) and looking at the back of the laptop which doesn't have a switch where the battery comes out
that's what i meant when i specified it.

>>I've never heard of a laptop that makes a charger "unusable", what do you even mean by that?

>Charge battery
>Battery is 100%
>More hours later
>Laptop begins to blink
>Unplugs
>continues to blink

also here are some more info on the hardware:
>>
>>379308
>if that were the case would'int' it make sense for those who made them to say that the power is going to the laptop and not the battery
>instead of just saying 'Fully charged (100%)' ?
No, because most people know what an AC adapter does.

It's not like laptops are a new thing.
>>
>>379311

https://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/
>>
>>379324
Some of this is technically correct, but the article is misleading.
Yes, it is better for wear level to have most of the discharge around 60-80%. However, it is a LOT better to have no discharge at all, aka having it plugged in.
This observation is completely irrelevant if you have the option to not discharge at all.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

In any case, live with your miserable fucked up battery, or replace it, as there is no way to fix it.
Unfortunately, you chose a badly designed laptop, so replacing is not as easy as it should be.
It's not very hard either though.
You could just look for your local nerd friend, or watch this videoa few times, think about it, watch it again, and then do it yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWB35_tNJMI

Do what he tells you with the screws.
Discharge yourself first by touching uncouted metal, like a radiator or a pipe.
Be careful when lifting the cover, and remember to plug all the three cables back in without twisting them.
>>
>>379337

>>Manufacturers take a conservative approach and specify the life of Li-ion in most consumer products as being between 300 and 500
>>
>>379342
>Manufacturers ... specify the life of Li-ion in most consumer products as being between 300 and 500 [cycles]

>>379121
>every 11-20 minutes i have to charge it constantly
Assume laptop is being tormented for eight hours each day
8*60 = 480
480/((20+11)/2) = 31
500/31 = 16 days of OP mistreating it
>>
File: Screenshot_159.png (7KB, 333x74px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_159.png
7KB, 333x74px
I WANT TO DIE
>>
>>379346
Asus support is either going to tell you to take it to your dealership, and hope they replace it.
Or they will tell you to send it in, so they can replace it.
The second option can take several months.
Enjoy the shitshow.
We gave you everything you needed to know. If you want to get raped not only by your bad habits, but also Asus themselves, then go ahead.
>>
>>379347

The battery isn't dead or anything

just have a short lifespan...
>>
>>379349
Oh yeah, that was best case scenario with lots of goodwill.

Usual answer will be to fuck off. Asus customer service is not particularly known for goodwill, but you may get lucky.
>>
>>379354

Nah

pretty sure there is a way

i'll just wait for someone else that can elaborate.
>>
Nah nevermind.

Appreciate your help

just one more question:

when im not using it is it fine for it to be unplugged when not in use? (e.g: off completely)
>>
>>379363
Yeah sure.
The only idea behind keeping it plugged is to keep the recharge cycles and wear low.

Don't let it get completely empty.
But you can't really make things worse at this point unless you overheat it.

I suspect that has something to do with how it got so bad in the first place. The design of that Asus seems like it would trap the heat of the battery.
>>
>>379324
>>379337
>>379342

Not the OP but I ponder if the Wired article could already be outdated from the technical POV. If the article is from Sep 2013...
>>
File: OAP battery.png (10KB, 784x474px) Image search: [Google]
OAP battery.png
10KB, 784x474px
>>379483
>https://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/
No, it's just as valid now as it was then, i.e. completely invalid sky-is-falling hysteria.

>Battery University states that a battery charged to 100 percent will have only 300-500 discharge cycles, while a battery charged to 70 percent will get 1,200-2,000 discharge cycles.

This is true and still true, however it ignores one important thing: laptop batteries die within 2-3 years of manufacture anyway, just by existing at room temperature. This happens whether you use them or not, whether you install them in a laptop or not. It'll happen even if you leave them in the box.

Pic related: it's a battery that's had only 70 cycles, but it was made in 2011 and now it's so old it's effectively dead.

300 cycles means taking your laptop out the house and fully draining the battery twice a week, every week, for three years. This means that under normal usage, your battery will fail from old age before it wears out
>>
>>379504
I just asked as a layfag. Because...y'know... in some aspects of technology years can be more like centuries.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.