[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: sigma[1].jpg (139KB, 1240x775px) Image search: [Google]
sigma[1].jpg
139KB, 1240x775px
In your opinion is a teacher absolutely necessary in order to learn highschool math (for an adult)?

Any ideas what's a good place to start? Any studies/books you could recomend to learn math?
>>
>is a teacher necessary in order to learn highschool math (for an adult)?
No, not at all. As long as you have the ability to think logically and don't give up right away when you can't solve a problem, you should be able to learn math on your own.

>Any ideas what's a good place to start? Any studies/books you could recommend to learn math?
People seem to like Khan Academy. I have no personal experience with it, so take that as you will.
>>
>>377021
Most students are not self-critical enough. They can't tell the difference between understanding something and trying to guess the answer by applying a random formula. A good teacher can detect which parts you don't understand.

(That said, the main functions of high school teachers are babysitting teenagers, grading tests, and assigning homework.)

If you are capable of zeroing in on the parts you find difficult, and motivated enough to go back when you realize you've missed something, you don't need a teacher. I don't know any good textbooks, but you can pick one and check the (negative) amazon reviews. Just make sure you can do the exercises before moving on to the next chapter.
>>
>>377021
>is a teacher absolutely necessary
no, there are certainly enough materials out there for a motivated individual to teach himself

the problem is that highschool kids are the exact opposite of motivated to learn math. if you don't have a teacher to force them to learn they just won't.

i'm not sure where you're at exactly, but khanacademy.org is a good resource imo
>>
File: language do or die.png (370KB, 381x590px) Image search: [Google]
language do or die.png
370KB, 381x590px
>>377021
>is a teacher absolutely necessary in order to learn highschool math (for an adult)?
IMHO you won't gain any real And consistent problem solving insight without a proper teacher. Math is not an art, nor it is a science. Math is a Language. You simply can't learn math fluency without a proper feedback.

Math is honestly a language. You can't learn an entire language all by yourself.
>>
>>377033
I just opened this thread to second this. I started learning math on my own using Khan Academy, and let me tell you, it's HUGELY helpful. Give it a try. It's not only passive learning, but you'll also do some practical exercises to practice what you learnt
>>
>>377263
Bullshit.

Math is a tool, and you can tell when you're using it wrong because you get the wrong answer. Math is not subjective or open to interpretation, you're either right or you're wrong.

Just like with programming, it works when you're right and fails when you're wrong and that means that you can learn it on your own.
>>
>>377263
>math is a language
This meme again.

math = anything done rigorously

>IMHO you won't gain any real And consistent problem solving insight without a proper teacher
Speak for yourself. Books can teach just fine if you question everything you read and try to see why it's true.
Now, many people can't (or just won't) do that. Maybe OP knows how to investigate things by himself, maybe he doesn't.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.