[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My comp overheats and its NOT the cpu/fan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: c02157793.jpg (10KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
c02157793.jpg
10KB, 250x350px
Most normie sites can't help at all (did you put thermal paste on lol?) but my computer has some sort of thermal issue. I have case open and a full box fan on it to keep it cool, and even then will eventually shut down, these days it shuts down within 20 secs.

It's an older hp desktop (pavilion)
Replaced cpu, put high end fan on, (yes thermal paste), changed PSU, reset cmos, entire thing is clean.

Anything else I could check?
>>
Post pic of the inside of the case.
>>
>>376645
i hate the use of the word normie
is the heat sink touching the cpu properly, test it by feeling to see if the heat sink warms up, hope that wasn't to normie for you
>>
>>376645
Please give us a picture, it's entirely possible you didn't properly seat the heatsink with the screws and backplate.
>>
>>376645
It shuts down after 20 seconds? Have you checked if the coolers (those ripples aluminum things) on the mainboard for ICH and IOH are alright (thermal paste could be old)?
>>
>>376667

Sage this retard's thread. He's either too stupid to post a picture or unwilling to post one. Either way his idiocy is clear. He probably forgot to put the thermal paste on.
>>
>>376645

Well DID you put thermal paste on lol?
More exactly, did you put thermal paste on CORRECTLY lol?
It is really not that surprising that "normie" sites suggest that, direct overheating issues typically DO hint at either a problem with the paste or non connected heat sink, so the question is more than justified.
>>
>>376667
Yeah, they stay cool. Same with the harddrive. I will feel a LITTLE heat off my cpu fins, but nothing major.

The fan will blow slow, then starts ramping up faster until comp shuts down.
>>
File: comp1.jpg (2MB, 4896x3672px) Image search: [Google]
comp1.jpg
2MB, 4896x3672px
Heres the inside
>>
Enter BIOS setup immidiately after turning PC on. Check temperatures there. If these are too high,well, you fucked up setting up the CPU fan (maybe you didn't put thermal paste on lol?).
>>
>>376688
Take off the CPU cooler, use a coffee filter to clean the paste, reapply paste and put the heatsink back on, this sounds like a classic case where you didn't mount the heatsink correctly.
>>
>>376702
It comes with a metal piece that slips over the plastic bracket on the mother board and cams into place, it either goes on and cams in, or doesn't fit at all.
>>
>>376687
If it shuts down to overheating, but you can still touch the CPU cooler for more than a second without hurting your fingers, then the heatsink might not be taking away the heat properly.
It should get hot if everything is installed properly.
>>
>>376687
>My fan gets faster and faster then it turns off
That's the exact symptoms of an incorrectly-installed heatsink.

If it was installed correctly, speeding up the fan would cool the CPU more.
>>
>>376645
>I have case open and a full box fan on it to keep it cool, and even then will eventually shut down, these days it shuts down within 20 secs.

I had the same issue, and in my case it was the power adapter overheating, and then finally dying.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.