[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TOTAL port forwarding?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: maxresdefault.jpg (159KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
159KB, 1920x1080px
I have a problem with my router. I finally decided to get a router for my home. After connecting my router to my modem and doing the necessary set up everything seemed to be in order. Except that this fucking router closes all the fucking ports. I don't know why it does this and I don't fucking need it. Game launchers are not working, torrents, different websites, twitch. Everything is giving me problems. Is there a way to forward all ports/exceptions from Windows Firewall to the router? Or do anything? I just want to have a cable from the modem to my laptop and Wi-Fi for my phone. I don't need any other shit they are forcing on my throat.

Please folks, this is making me desperate. There is nothing online that could help me. Searching on google how to open all closed ports gives me result on how to fucking close them instead.
Yes, I am a retard and a brainlet when it comes to networking. I know nothing more than the complete basic.

>pic related
My exact make and model for the router.
>>
>>375187
Modems are just routers with stupid names. Your new router isn't not forwarding anything, it's just firewalled by your other router.

You need to set your router-that's-called-a-router as the DMZ machine of your router-that's-called-a-modem.
>>
>I don't know why it does this

Good routers have firewalls built in and turned on by default. A firewall will do this.

> Is there a way to forward all ports/exceptions from Windows Firewall to the router

Go into the router configuration and turn all that shit off or configure port forwarding within the interface. Each brand/model has a different interface so If you want help post some screenshots of the shit you're running into.
>>
>>375191
Then how come that modem wasn't firewalling my connection? But it's firewalling this? I'm kinda confused. I tried setting some DMZ but it either didn't work or I did it wrong.

>>375193
I turned off the firewall. Same thing almost. But port forwarding doesn't mean adding exception for port x, y, z? Is there no other method than doing every single individual port that might be closed and when still encountering a problem looking for even more ports that need opening?

But yes, I would appreciate any help so let me know what section in particular do you need to see. There's a huge sidebar with menus that have other submenus and most are beyond my understanding.
>>
>>375195

>let me know what section in particular do you need to see. There's a huge sidebar with menus that have other submenus and most are beyond my understanding.

So post a picture of it already
>>
File: Capture.jpg (163KB, 1365x662px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
163KB, 1365x662px
>>375199
>>
>>375200

Go to forwarding
>>
File: Capture 2.jpg (158KB, 1365x663px) Image search: [Google]
Capture 2.jpg
158KB, 1365x663px
>>375203
>>
>>375204

What's in port triggering?
>>
File: Capture 3.jpg (156KB, 1365x663px) Image search: [Google]
Capture 3.jpg
156KB, 1365x663px
>>375205
>>
>>375206

This looks like it might be where you need to set it up. Add new trigger port and see what it says. Exactly what port do you need to connect outbound/inbound? what game/service is it for?

But still, how did you disable your firewall? can you post a screenshot of that setting?.
>>
File: Capture 4.jpg (181KB, 1365x664px) Image search: [Google]
Capture 4.jpg
181KB, 1365x664px
>>375207
Here is the firewall setting. Could it require more than this?

I'll post another screenshot of setting up a new port also but is there really no way around this? Does a router force close every port and then you need to forward them all manually? I don't know. I'm guessing port 80 for starters more likely. But like I said, I wouldn't want to have to need to do this. I'd just want something for all not adding one by one. Is that even possible or is this limitation normal for routers?

Also thanks for taking the time to try and help me, I appreciate it man.
>>
File: Capture 5.jpg (160KB, 1365x661px) Image search: [Google]
Capture 5.jpg
160KB, 1365x661px
>>375207
New port trigger.
>>
>>375210

What's in advanced security of the security section?

It's hard to say. Last time I had terrible trouble with port forwarding (exactly like your scenario) was like 10 years ago. Since then I haven't really had problems like that.

Have you run a shield's up scan of your computer yet?.
>>
File: Capture 6.jpg (188KB, 1365x659px) Image search: [Google]
Capture 6.jpg
188KB, 1365x659px
>>375212
Here. Nothing relevant I assume.

What is a shield's up scan?
>>
>>375214

Hey man, I was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMaYNSOisJ8 and around 1:27 this guy explains about the DMZ. I think this dude >>375191 may have had a point. I think you need to specify your computer to be the DMZ IP so it is open to the internet.
>>
>>375214

Sheild's up scan is a scan that checks the pc/device to see what ports are open to the internet and which ones are blocked.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
>>
>>375215
I think I tried something like that. I'll look at the video and try it again but I think I did exactly that.

I have a question tho. I think I may have a new IP now since I installed the router. I never bothered to remember it but it seems different. Could the IPv4 also be different now after installing the router thus the one I'm copying isn't the right one and that's why is it not working? Or is it even possible for my IP to have changed after installing the router? Pretty sure I have a static IP too.
>>
>>375217

You don't put your real/internet IP into the DMZ setting I don't think. I think you need to put your local machine IP address there. For example you go to windows in CMD and type ipconfig and you will see ips that look like 192.169.1.112. You don't use the one that looks like 95.2.44.234
>>
>>375216
I've checked online with some simple port checking tools. It showed all the common ones either closed or said connection timed out before getting a response.
>>
>>375191
>Modems are just routers with stupid names
Your an idiot. Modems are not routers period. The majority of modems and routers that the ISPs give you these days are 3 in 1 units, modem, router and wireless access point. But that doesn't mean that OPs ISP gave him a 3 in 1. All of these devices can be separate.

OP, you want the router to block and close all the ports on your side and only open ports when necessary for applications that need those ports open, it's the whole point of having a router, to add a hardware firewall between you and the Internet. Otherwise it'd be pointless to have a router and you might as well just get a wireless access point device. Which is just a dumb idea these days.

If your having a problem with the router blocking all your outbound communication, then something is probably misconfigured with the firewall settings. Routers or NATs are supposed to block all incoming traffic (hence closed ports) and only allow outgoing and usually only on certain common ports, like port 80.

Look to see if the firewall page in the router has a basic security setting like low, medium or high. Set it to medium and it should work.

If you are trying to run a server like application like streaming twitch from your connection, you need to figure out what ports and protocol they use and set up individual rules for those ports. Either with port forwarding or port triggering.

I could help more, but I don't have the time and would need to know you brand and model number of the router.
>>
>>375218
Jesus christ.

It goes

[internet]<----->['modem']<----->[router]

The router is already doing UPNP-IGD port forwarding, because all routers in the past decade do this out of the box.

You need to log in to the 'modem', not the router, assign the router a static IP, and statically forward every port to the router's IP.

Reset the router to factory settings to undo all the shittery suggested in this thread, then set up your modem correctly and everything will be alright.
>>
>>375223

>Reset the router to factory settings to undo all the shittery suggested in this thread

Nigger it was fucked up BEFORE he got here, so you're logic a shit.
>>
>>375218
>>375222
Also don't put your computer into DMZ, it defeats the whole point of having a router in the first place, and that point is security. It's just a very dumb thing to do from a security standpoint and should only he used for trouble shooting a firewall issue or trying to bypass a NAT to use another type of hardware firewall.
>>
>>375226

>it defeats the whole point of having a router in the first place

Are you fucking stupid. A router's use is to router packets to multiple devices. He still has router functionality. What he doesn't need is the Firewall (if there is one) active and fucking with his shit.

If he can't play games and do shit he wants then it defeats the point of him having the internet.
>>
>>375224
No, it's firewalled by the router that's between it and the Internet. It's forwarding ports just fine, but nothing is forwarding to it, so it has nothing to forward. Changing random shit on the router he just got can never solve OP's problem, because the problem isn't on the router he just got.

You wasted OP's time, and the best and quickest way to fix the mess you made is a factory reset.
>>
>>375218
Yep, seems like I followed that tutorial precisely. Before I did that yesterday the internet was way more limited but now it still has problems. For example game launchers are offline although I can launch the games. Still, don't want this limitation I got and want to get it fixed.

>>375222
Yes, my modem is somewhat older. At least 3 years or more. Also it's some chinese crap. And yes, it's just a modem. Tho I think it might also have a cable for some TV metal connector that leads to the TV box. The internet is 100mbps through optic fiber if that helps.

Well I just wanted to have an easier time having Wi-Fi at home. I mean I could do with making Wi-Fi from the laptop but my parents also wanted mobile internet when I wasn't home without using all the data. Didn't need the hardware firewall with port blocking and what else.

>>375210
That's the firewall section. Only on and off.

And I am not trying to stream on twitch. I just have/had problems with it. As in it wouldn't show me any streams unless I searched for them and I could watch them but chat wouldn't connect.

>>375187
That's the brand and model in the pic. I'll leave the thread open so if you could offer help in a couple of hours it would still be ok. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>375230
Well I was having problems with it after the initial set up. Turning off firewall or setting up DMZ solved the problem partially but that's it. I don't think a factory reset would help.
>>
>>375228
>A router's use is to router packets to multiple devices.
That's called a network switch dipshit. A router is a network switch with a built in NAT

>>375230
Then just get a device that only acts as wireless AP and return the router. But it's a bad idea to not have a hardware firewall these days.
>>
>>375237
Just did a quick google search and from what I see a network switch doesn't have Wi-Fi. So it's not exactly what I would need.
>>
>>375237

>Then just get a device that only acts as wireless AP and return the router

He's not OP you fucking retard. Delete your 4chan account ASAP.
>>
>>375237
Nope.

Routers "route" IP.
Switches "switch" ethernet.

Connect two different subnets with a switch and see how good a job it does routing.
>>
>>375247
I misquoted
>>375252
Yes you're right, I was thinking of a hub. But regardless of the terminology, router when commonly used today refers to a device that has the capability of a hub and a hardware firewall.

OP, if I have the time later today I might take some time and try to help you. But it's not going to be for a good 3-4 hours. Maybe longer.
>>
>>375278
Awesome. Whenever you are able to it's good.
>>
>>375278
You're still wrong, though.

NAT routers "firewall" as a side-effect of NAT. They don't block or filter packets, it's just that they don't know what host to send the packet that established an incoming connection to. So outgoing connections work (as the router knows to send the incoming packets related to the outgoing connection to the computer that initiated it), but incoming connections don't (because the router can't tell which computer is expecting to get the packet that initiates the connection). You can configure a firewall (as they're almost always just Linux), but out of the box no router has one enabled.

OP's problem is that the router* you two are calling a "modem" knows to route related packets to the only host it sees (the second router), but it doesn't know what to do with incoming connections, because OP hasn't told it what to do, so it just drops them.

What he needs to do is log in to the "modem", and tell it to send absolutely everything to his new router, so his new router can sort everything out. The simplest way to do this is make the "modem" give the router a static IP, and to forward every single port to it

* and it absolutely is a router, because it has an internal and an external IP address, and they're on different subnets.
>>
>>375278
>I was thinking of a hub
Hubs are switches that broadcast every packet to every port it didn't come in on. They're interchangeable with switches (provided your network doesn't have any loops), albeit with lower performance. Like switches, hubs retransmit ethernet, and have nothing to do with IP (excepting that IP can be encapsulated in ethernet).
>>
>>375286
If by "modem" you mean the modem that has the default internet cable going into it and that has the ethernet cable coming to my laptop, then, how do I do what you said?

Unless you mean figuratively, it has no place to log into, like the router has (see earlier images). Unless you mean switching something at Network and Sharing Center or something along those lines? If so, what and how would I do what needs to be done?
>>
>>375286
>>375288
Ok fair enough.

What >>375286 is saying OP is that you need to log into the modem, like you did with the wireless router and configure the modem to give the router a static IP. But this confuses me because when I did this with a cable modem and a D-link router, the modem was able to pass its connection to the D-link router without any interaction on my part. The only time I've ever had to log into the cable modem was when I had to trouble shoot why my connection to the modem was dropping.

Regardless, the newer routers should really work right out the box with little configuration needed by the consumer.

Op make sure you can get a connection from your modem to the internet still without the new router, factory reset the new router you have and connect them together, run the wizard that the new router has and see if it works.

One thing we've failed to ask you is what the model of your modem is, you might actually already have a 2 in 1 router/modem and you might be behind two hardware firewalls which could cause the problems you have.

Also another thing to consider is that the router you bought might be defective or might need a firmware update.
>>
>>375427
There is no such thing as a log in for the modem. It is an ancient chinese ZTE thing that you never heard about. What I do know for sure is that it's not a 2 in 1. It has no Wi-Fi capabilities and no intricate stuff.

>pic related
This is the one. Someone selling one in my country lol.

Also defective? Doubt that. I just need it to not block any ports, this doesn't sound like something broken but something that needs certain configuring. Firmware update could be something but I doubt it would change stuff as port forwarding configurations and what not.
>>
>>375394
All a modem is is a particularly shit router.

When you connect your computer to it by ethernet, do you have to configure anything? No, because the "modem" has a DHCP server in it.

Do you have to run a special program on your PC to emulate a network adapter and communicate with the cable company? No, because the "modem" routes packets straight from your PC just like any other router.

If you plug your computer straight into the "modem", you'll get given an IP address, and a default route. The IP of the default route is the IP of the modem, and you will be able to open it in your browser just like any other router.
>>
>>375527
Not being an expert in this it's hard for me to know if you might be right or an overconfident idiot.

Before getting the router, each time I started the PC I had to start a connection that had a username and password. It's called a PPPOE and you can read and learn more about it if you want. I don't share this connection with any PCs at home. I might share something with neighboring houses, but that would be it. Also the first time I set up internet on my PC I had to set up a connection and whatever.

AND THERE IS NO FUCKING THING TO OPEN IN THE BROWSER. THERE IS NOTHING RESEMBLING AN IP WRITTEN ON THAT BOX. WHEN THEY SET UP THIS MODEM THEY DIDN'T ENTER ANY IP OR DO ANYTHING SIMILAR TO THE WAY MY ROUTER WAS SET UP. HOW FUCKING DENSE CAN YOU BE?
If it makes you feel better just imagine this is some obscure ancient technology you never knew existed or something. And no it's not dial-up, although I see the definition might make you believe that. I have 100mbps internet which is lightning fast (at least used to be untill the last couple of years) and download with 10MB/s so it's doing its job.

Now if you and the previous guys fighting about this or that could actually come up with a solution rather than testing your and others' knowledge that would help me. If not, don't bother anymore.
>>
>>375462
That picture doesn't exactly help me. Why didn't you just look at the model number and tell me the manufacturer so I could look up the modem and get a better understanding of how you are networked?

At any rate, did you even try what I suggested in >>375427 and factory rest your router and retest your Internet connection directly from the modem? Then reconfigure everything with the routers wizard?

what this >>375527 poster is saying, barring his lack of help and smug network knowledge, is that you can in fact or should be able to log into the modem and get some type of user interface, regardless if this information isn't printed on the modem itself. You should be able to do this by plugging a computer directly into the modem, allow it to assign you an ip address and then look in your network settings for the gateway IP address and put the gateway ip address in the URL bar of a browser. You might have to do this without the actual Internet cable plugged into the modem, just power and ethernet. But if you manage to get a GUI, I doubt it is going to be of much help.

As for a PPPOE connection, I've never had to deal with one so my knowledge is very limited there. I do however know that some routers should have settings for that type of connection and it should be able to be selected in the setup wizard.

But as I said, the first thing we have to do for me to help you is establish a base line and undo everything that you've done so far. And that involves a factory reset and what I mentioned first thing in this post.

Also sorry I got distracted, but I still can't guarantee that I am going to be able to be around long enough to help you ATM.
>>
>>375586
The modem is a ZTE (brand) ZXA10 F625A (model).

No, I did not try factory resetting. The thing is, it's had these problems (ports closed) the moment I installed it. And the settings I chaned where so basic (checking another option) that I didn't see how they could be something so drastic that they would require a factory reset. Guess I'm just trying to justify my laziness and displeasure of remaining without internet for however long it may take (need to find documents with log in from isp, unplug cables, disconnect everything, run set up, etc etc). But I guess I will do it if it's absolutely necessary.

And yes, it seems I missunderstood him slightly. What I'm saying is that I don't remember the cable guys doing something along those lines when they first set up my connection.

Yes there was an option to set up PPPOE connection and it also worked with auto detection in the wizard so I had no problems during set up.

No worries. I appreciate you even trying to help. If you somehow find time to tell me what I should do next, wheter it be factory resetting the router or attempting to log in into the modem let me know.
>>
>>375633
Currently just check if you can get a connection to the Internet like you did before buying the router and also factory reset the router and run it's quick setup wizard choosing PPPOE options. I guess this does mean you'll need the authentication information unfortunately.

I am only asking you to do the factory reset because I haven't the slightest clue what you have done to it so far. So this will at least give us a clean slate.

Don't reset your modem however, looking at pictures of it there is a reset button on it.
>>
>>375663
Sorry for the long wait. Had to also do something else in the meantime. I'm almost done with everything you asked tho.
>>
>>375663
>>375711
Done. The internet still works directly from the modem. Factory reset and fresh set up for the router. It still works.
>>
OP here. Some of the problems I'm having:

-The launcher of a game (Armored Warfare) says "Offline game page loaded as there is no connection to the server. Refresh page."; and refreshing does nothing. The Play button still works and I can still play but I can't obtain the daily log in rewards or see news.
-Battle.net (Blizzard launcher, using it for Hearthstone) takes a really long time to start and the only way I can get it to start is if I click on the icon repeatedly in the task bar. The game also launches but I can't see any news and announcemets like I did before.
-uTorrent ad spaces are not working (as if this can actually be considered a problem) and instead of seeing an ad at the top I see "Navigation to the web page was canceled" and instead of seeing an at to the left I see "Error The requested URL could not be retrieved".

So far these are all that I noticed. And yes, they might sound like some very stupid problems of a loser, but I don't care. I didn't have them before and I don't want to just have to deal with them. And moreover, I'm thinking about the many other things I haven't discovered that might give me problems and limit my shit and annoy the hell out of me.
>>
>>375717
Steam doesn't work either. That News thing that pops-up when you log in also gives a white page with "Error The requested URL could not be retrieved" and then all the other tabs from the program say the same thing. Worked fine with just the modem as the previously mentioned things did as well.
>>
>>375713
Thanks
>>375717
>>375719
This is actually very helpful. And no it's not stupid problems from a loser. If something isn't working right it should be addressed and can be annoying. I understand how frustrating these type of things can be.

Does your Internet otherwise wor? Like can you go to websites fine and not just play games? Because it sounds almost like a DNS problem to me. But I can't tell 100 percent. What you can do to test if this is a DNS problem is change your DNS servers on your computer in the network settings to use Google's DNS temporarily. Let me know if you need a guide to change them, but they are 8.8.8.8.

It sounds like a DNS problem because it seems like you can't load the internal Web pages in your games. Except for armored warfare, that has me confused.

Change them on the computer you use for gaming and let me know if that fixes the problem.
>>
>>375726
Hey man, just wanted to say again that I really appreciate your help and understanding. I really do.

Now then. Yes, my internet works otherwise. Right now I'm on it. On the troublesome router to be more specific. I have no problems with the regular sites I use (Youtube, Facebook, Yahoo mail, etc). Also on my phone the internet from the router's Wi-Fi seems to be working just fine as well.

If the first link from googling "how to change dns" from developers.google is good I don't think I'd have problems with following that tutorial. There might be two problems tho.

First of all, can this be reversed with no side effects? I wouldn't really want to change what my ISP set up and mess things up even more. Nor would I really like to be on Google's DNS unless this would be the only solution since I'm not a big fan of the tracking and all those policies they have. Although I'm not one to boycott them by switching browsers, getting AdNauseam and what else, I really wouldn't want to get more involved with Google than I have to. Hope this doesn't sounds to tinfoil or stupid.

Secondly, it's very very late here, even for me and I think I may need to go to bed. Since tomorrow I won't sleep enough and I have to go somewhere after waking up as well. Is there a chance that I'll find you again here in say 12 hours or more so you can continue to help me with this? Or after how long you'd be able to continue to help? I would use the same pic in OP and let you know it's me. That is, if you would still be able and want to help.
>>
>>375744
No worries about the help and I understand the issue about privacy and not wanting to be tracked by google. I suggested googles DNS just because it's an easy to remember IP and the chances of it not working are very low. You could just as easily use the opendns servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) or any other for that matter.

Yes it can be reversed, you just set it on the device you want and it only applies to that device. You could however change it in the router and it will push that change too all of the devices that connect to it, but to keep it simple just change it on the computer you're having problems with. Don't worry it wont mess up anything your ISP has set up.

Use these steps https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using feel free to use opendns rather than googles in step 7-8. Don't worry about the IPV6, unless you have that. And to change them back to your ISPs just delete the ones you entered in step 7-8 and click on "obtain automatically".

Since you can get on other sites, I think it's doubtful that this is the problem, but we can at least rule it out as one. It is possible that the websites you normally go to are cached in your computers DNS table so having a DNS problem might not be noticeable until you try to go to a website you don't normally visit.

This might be a dumb question, but have you checked to see if the problems you are having when the router is connected went away when you were connected straight to the modem?

I am not sure about my availability tomorrow, but I will try to make some time to help you too. This thread will likely still be up 12+ hours from now.
>>
>>375762
I think just by searching for solutions to this problem yesterday and my regular browsing for random things I went on a bunch of new websites. So in this situation all is fine.

I'm pretty sure they did. Would need to check again to be 100% sure but going back to the modem solves the problems I believe.

As soon as I wake up I'll be sure to check this again and try the dns switch.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.