[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pleaaase help! i build a computer a few years ago and it has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

File: break.jpg (39KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
break.jpg
39KB, 500x390px
pleaaase help! i build a computer a few years ago and it has worked like a dream since then -- however, i moved cross-country last week and i'm not sure if something happened in the journey (I shipped it to myself). now, it won't really start up -- the fans will activate, including the CPU fan (although one fan needs to be pushed a bit before it starts spinning like normal). some lights on the mobo turn on too -- the video card lights as well. but nothing goes to the monitor and the "power light" does not come on. i've done most things in checklists (plugging and unplugging power cords inside, unplugging and holding power button down for half a minute, etc.). do y'all have any ideas? much appreciated! I can answer most questions if you need more info.
>>
Honestly I'd just take it apart and start from scratch. First off, I get the impression that it's been more or less closed up since you put it together, so it probably could use some new thermal paste. Get out some cardboard (and if you have it, antistatic sheets/bags but it's ok of you don't) so you can set the parts on, then strip it down to it's individual components. To get the cpu and heatsink apart, use some isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and twist them apart (don't damage the pins though if AMD)

Then, reapply thermal paste, put cpu and heatsink together, secure cpu to mobo, and now, while everything is still out of the sysyem, put in the ram, the gpu, and connect the psu to the mobo and gpu and the gpu to a monitor and give it a test run just to make sure things are working (bridge the power on pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver if you don't know how)

Sorry to talk down to you or make it seem like your stupid, but I don't really have much to go on troubleshooting this.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.