[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have this alienware 13" laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: s-l225.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
First of all

It's specs are
i7 5500u
8gb ddr3 ram
Nvidia geforce gtx 860m
250gb hard disk
>I know its a name brand, and fucking unreliable as shit
>It has shitty cooling
>Its already 3 years old
>I stupid bought for it a power supply that was under the specs, before I got the right one
>It has been dropped
>It started beeping twice and fails post
>Sometimes it does start
>It goes to sleep or any reason it turns off it beeps again
>Moved the ram sticks, took one out, tested all 2 slots
>Sometimes if I leave it alone for days, it boots

I already know its probably the Motherboard, I have tested the ram sticks in other computers, as well as testing their ram on the Alienware.

I'm wondering if my computer is fucked or is there something else I can do? Should I take it in to a place to repair it? Is it better if I try to get the parts and fix it myself? I mean considering I dont have that computer working, and no more warranty what else can I do?
>>
sounds like more of a heat than a ram problem, with rams youre usually having random program crashes and ram related bsods.

No idea about laptops, but the cooling paste does get brittle over time and less effective.

When the motherboard is fucked, youre probably fucked.
>>
>>373315
Get the manual for the laptop and see what the beep codes mean, is there any output on the screen when it fails to post? Sounds to me like the SATA cable to the HDD might be loose. Or maybe the HDD is failing but that seems much less likely. I don't think it's a heat issue because this started after you dropped the laptop.
>it started beeping twice and fails post
>it goes to sleep or any reason it turns off and beeps again
That seems really weird, and like a software issue which is why I'm saying something related to the HDD is at fault, if you know for certain that the ram isn't. I would check to make sure the drive is physically in tight, and run CrystalDiskInfo to check the smart data of the drive to make sure it's not failing. other than that you can try to find a replacement mobo, it's probably not going to be worth it but if you can find your same laptop in bad condition cosmetically you can probably get it for cheap and swap the mobo.
>>
>>373340
2 beeps, means "No RAM detected"

Ima try the HDD.

And I said ive dropped tehe laptop, before I even got the underpowered charger. just thought I should throw in there that its got a few bumps and whatnot(Also its missing fucking screws, I caught one falling out the other day) but really it didnt start fucking up until a few months after getting the correct charger(dont worry, I dont think that using the CORRECT charger fucked up my laptop)

What would happen in the months leading up to the failed POST beeping bullshit however was that my laptop would overheat like a mother fucker, it infact has always been prone to doing this. Anytime it works hard, its like the fans cant keep up, they start to whirr very loudly. I shouldve definitely invested in some form of cooling fan, or just keeping a fan blowing on the vents period.
>>
>>373348

This sounds like classic overheat damage to me, I've had two laptops suffer with this. Take the mobo out and reflow the solder as best you can using a heat gun mostly around the gpu area. This might give you temporary relief from POST fail, if it does then it's proof that that was the problem.

Also, clean the fluff and shit out of the radiator.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.