[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Could anyone help me with a math question? I suck at math and I'm having trouble understanding the following assignment:

(forgive my English, second language)

Write the following expressions as plus or minus a power with a positive base and an entire exponent

((-4)^3)^2

My conlusion was -4^6 but the correct answer is 4^6. What am I doing wrong?
>>
I'm sorry but I'll probably at explaining this,

-4 is first increased by 3 powers. An even number of powers causes the result to be even, and in the same regard, an odd exponent on a negative number will give a negative number.

-4 x -4 = 16 (-4^2)
16 x -4 = -64 (-4^3)

Second, the result of -4 to the power of 3 is increased by the power of 2, multiplying the first result (-64) with itself, causing the second result to be even.

(-4^3)^2 = -64^2 = 4096

So, then, ((-4)^3)^2 = 4^6 = 4096
>>
>>370367

(-4)^3)^2 = -4^(3*2) = -4^6, your solution is correct.
But since 6 is an even number a base with negative sign becomes positive, so you can leave it out. That doesn't make you solution wrong, both works!

-4^6 = 4^6
>>
>>370401
- 4^6 = -4096
4^6 = 4096

That's what my calculator is telling me at least.
>>
Your convulsion was (-4)^6 not -4^6. Those brackets are important.
>>
>>370403
I see. Then I don't understand why the book said the answer was 4^6?
>>
>>370415
because If a negative number is raised to an even power, the result will be positive, therefore
(-X)^2 = X^2
(-4)^6 = (4)^6
>>
>>370415
because you need to write the result with a positive base according to your assignment.

Just keep in mind
(-x)^even exponent = x^even exponent
(-x)^odd exponent = - x^odd exponent

since you can extract the sign:
(-x)^n = ((-1)(x))^n = (-1)^n x^n and (-1)^n is -1 for odd n and +1 for even n.
>>
>>370429
The book gave ((-5)^3)^-5 = -5 ^-15 as an example. I think that's what throwing me off.

Isn't -5 a negative base or am I going insane?
>>
>>370432
no, -5^-15 means -(5^-15): positive base
That's different from (-5)^-15: negative base
even if the results are the same in this case.

-5^2 = -(5^2) = -25 for example, and not
-5^2 ?=? (-5)^2 = 25.
>>
>>370402
>(-4)^6=4^6
>>
>>370432

3*-5 is odd, therefore the result keeps the sign. Look at (-1)^3 = -1*-1*-1 = 1*-1 = -1
That's why the minus before the base is kept. Also in this case that is not optional like in even case because -5^-15 =|= 5^-15
Only the one with the minus is correct, also indeed keep in mind that "-a^b" with brackets means (-a)^b, you just tend to leave them out writing like this.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.