/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Installing Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: pape2.jpg (512KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pape2.jpg
512KB, 1920x1080px
I've been trying to install Ubuntu on my Asus X205TA to no avail. If I could get any assistance on this that'd be great
>>
ANNNNDDDDD.........

ASSIST!

You're welcome.
>>
well whats the issue?

Download the iso, create a liveUSB out of it using Rufus and install it on your computer?
>>
>>368666
Well I did that but when I try to boot it up from the flashdrive it either just boots back into windows 10 or goes back into the bios/uefi settings
>>
>>368671
Ensure you set the flash drive as your first boot priority in the BIOS
>>
>>368671
I think f9 is the boot order screen. Alternatively, just go to the BIOS and change your boot device to your flash drive
>>
>>368661
yous a buttXD
>>
>>368678
In my defense, there was nothing to go on with the question
>>
>>368675
unfortunately I have already tried those things and still nothing (the boot order screen is the escape button for me)
>>
>>368682
Make sure Secure Boot isn't enabled in the BIOS
>>
>>368680
this is true and I apologize for the lack of details I just wasn't entirely sure which details were pertinent to the situation
>>
>>368690
already have tried that. I'm real sorry
>>
>>368682

The most critical thing to consider when you fail is the result of the action you took. Broadly speaking, anything that is not a correct installation of Ubuntu is a failure. However, what in particular failed is really fucking important to diagnosing the problem. If it fails over to the BIOS, what did it say before it did? Did it try to mount the drive? Does the flash drive even show up in the BIOS? The most likely answer seems to be that your .iso is fucked up, but it's hard to say without more information.
>>
>>368705
The USB does show up and when I attempt to run it the screen will go black for a moment and then either boot normally or go back to bios
>>
>>368709
Yeah, re-do the flash drive.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0
>>
>>368709
>>368711

You could check your drive in another computer, so we know if it's the drive or the computer.
>>
>>368711
I will get back to you as soon as ive finished attempting this
>>
>>368715
so I put the flash drive in the asus and it failed once more but then I put it in my Lenovo desktop and it worked first try. this laptop is a 32 bit and I believe the Ubuntu file is a 64 bit could this be the problem? but I also had previously attempted an older version 32 bit download
>>
>>368724
Long shot, but does your BIOS have any additional options for USB boot (like "treat as CD" or "treat as floppy" etc)
>>
>>368728 no...
:(
>>
>>368728
could it be that this laptop is simply not compatible?
>>
>>368734
do you think it could possibly work with a different distro??
>>
Unrelated to current progress, I googled "x205ta ubuntu" and got a lot of interesting answers for that specific computer. Including:

https://github.com/lopaka/instructions/blob/master/ubuntu-16.04-install-asus-x205ta.md

and

https://askubuntu.com/questions/869453/how-to-install-lubuntu-16-04-on-the-asus-x205ta-f205ta
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>368747
That's not relevant to OP's problem: it's a howto on how to avoid the problem of the older "LTS" branch of Ubuntu not having XHCI drivers, but the computer only having XHCI controllers, and thus Ubuntu is not able to access any USB device, even internal ones like the keyboard and mouse.

>>368671
>Windows 10
Your computer boots from UEFI, and won't boot legacy devices without a lot of fucking about. Installing an OS that uses legacy boot would mean replacing your partition table because legacy doesn't understand GPT, and your drive is almost certainly partitioned GPT.

it's going to be far less hassle to just create working UEFI media, so go do that.

>>368724
No, it's going to be because the desktop is set to boot legacy, and the laptop isn't. One OS doesn't care what word length another OS on the same disk is using, and 32-bit-only processors can now only be found in disposable Android phones.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.