[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

C# halp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: C-Logo-1.jpg (80KB, 350x393px) Image search: [Google]
C-Logo-1.jpg
80KB, 350x393px
Ok, here's the deal: I want to learn C#. I want to use VS for IDE and I am on Windows only. If you feel a need to ask why I have chosen these criteria, my answer is "I am an uncurable fagit" and we move on.

My only background in coding is VBA (yeah, yeah so sue me) and entry level Python.

What I want to achieve is decent quality database I/O on an online server and also locally. I assume I need to learn at least some SQL for this as well. Dunno if the online part requires ASP.NET - remember: noob.

I am looking for online learning material (free is great) and books. I have read the "yellow book", I liked it, but it only covers basics. Online, stuff like tutorialspoint seems out of date, dotnetperls looks ok but has shit for structure and is more of a reference than a tutorial anyway. Just reading MSDN is an exercise in frustration.

So are there any better/more comprehensive sources that you would recommend?
>>
>>366739
So you want a job at microsoft or some of their subcontractors. Ok.

>My only background in coding is VBA and entry level python
>I have read the "yellow book", I liked it, but it only covers basics.
>Online, stuff like tutorialspoint seems out of date, dotnetperls looks ok but has shit for structure and is more of a reference than a tutorial anyway. Just reading MSDN is an exercise in frustration.

Well that escalated into an arrogance pretty damn quicky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfP-SBD00hY
>>
>>366743
Actually I have a completely unrelated job, I want to learn this for other reasons, hence my arrogance.
>>
>>366739
God, another Basic bodger. VB should be banned.

.NET is a bloated cow and even today everyone avoids this junk
>>
File: yea right.jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
yea right.jpg
11KB, 259x194px
>>366799
>>
>>366739
Learn LINQ.

I'd go into more detail, but you sound like the kind of guy that's capable of fucking googling things.

I'll caution you though: being able to write C# is not the same thing as being able to program, and being able to write SQL is not the same thing as being able to design a database or optimise a query. If you want to not be a lifetime jobber, start at the beginning with MIT's opencourseware CS course.
>>
>>366805
>>366809
This might very well be true. The thing is I am not looking to get into this as a profession at all, it's for a private project. Said project of course being the reason for the choice of language and IDE.

>being able to write C# is not the same thing as being able to program, and being able to write SQL is not the same thing as being able to design a database or optimise a query

This is a very good point and part of the reason I am asking for something more close to "follow-along" material -- I am actually NOT pretending to become a "good" programmer, I know my limitations and I already have a full time job that prevents me from investing myself in that anyway.

In OP I might very well have come off as a douche about the stuff I have already googled but read the question this way then; do you know any up to date, structured tutorial material rather than reference material that assumes prior knowledge (since that is mostly what I stumble on via google)?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.