[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chemistry Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 10

To all /wsr/ chemistry wizards: I need your help with this question, and some others I will be posting later.

In case you´re wondering, this is a test in which we´ve been given a deadline to answer all these questions. So I'd really appreciate it if you could also post your resolutions in your replies.

Thank you for your attention and I'll be posting more questions later today.
>>
>>366508
Do you not have the spectralchemical and trans effect list/line/whatever in front of you? Did you just start inorganic?
>>
Actually, I haven´t had a single organic chemistry class in my whole life. They have given us this test so that we must research online to find out about how to solve these questions.
>>
>>366513
Oh I see, then I am much more sympathetic.
For this, I am pretty sure Wikipedia has both the spectrochemical and trans effect series, and probably an explanation but basically, if a ligand (term used to describe the element or compounds attached to the central metal atom) appears further on the right side of the spectrochemical series, it is a stronger ligand, and according to most literature I have found, a stronger ligand replaces a weaker one. However, according to my professor, who while young is a recognized inorganic researcher, only the trans effect really matters when determining ligand substitution. The trans series is organized in a similar way, and the farther to the right the ligands are, the more likely that the ligand opposite (or trans) will be substituted. That explanation was probably confusing so sorry, but shouldn't be that tough to find an easier explanation. The slightly confusing thing though, is that for parts b and d, in chemical reactions we assume that a variety of isomers are usually formed, but most are either re-reacted into the preferred isomer or just made in such small qualities that we say the reaction only has one product, even when in step 2 there could technically be other product formed. Only when noticeable percentages of product formed is of another isomer, like in some organic reactions, do we consider it, if you understand what I mean.
>>
Thanks for your support. Some of the questions in this test are in a chemistry university level. So I will try to discuss with my own teacher about what you said.

Now, here's the next question:
>>
>>366508
(a) false, iodine is a weak field ligand (weaker than chloride anyway)
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrochemical_series#Spectrochemical_series_of_ligands
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligand#Examples_of_common_ligands_.28by_field_strength.29

(b)true, the molecule is planar (and the example on
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_effect#Kinetic_trans_effect
covers a similar transformation, except I(-) is even more trans effect than Cl(-) and NH3)

(c)true, the AgI is dumped out and pulls the equilibrium forwards

(d)false, once the intermediate is formed (with only one Cl- ligand) the trans effect takes over and forms the product
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisplatin#Synthesis

I can't believe that only 2 years after getting my Masters in Chemistry that I've forgotten literally everything. Also that I just fucking Google everything even though there is a load of textbooks 3 feet away.
>>
File: Disappointed Tsumugi 2.png (243KB, 600x374px) Image search: [Google]
Disappointed Tsumugi 2.png
243KB, 600x374px
>>366539
>giving him the answers straight up
>>
>>366543
Amaama to Inazuma
>>
File: Ring tension desu.png (38KB, 511x499px) Image search: [Google]
Ring tension desu.png
38KB, 511x499px
Here's another question for you guys:
>>
File: i need to go back to school.png (5MB, 1197x1025px) Image search: [Google]
i need to go back to school.png
5MB, 1197x1025px
>>366538
>>366578
>>
Well, I guess I will have to give the rest of the questions to you guys tomorrow. Seems like I have an another test online tonight and I'll be studying for it for the rest of today. Thank you all for helping me for now. See you guys tomorrow morning
>>
File: 2017_08_20_12_05_00_aminoacids.png (57KB, 409x534px) Image search: [Google]
2017_08_20_12_05_00_aminoacids.png
57KB, 409x534px
Hello again! Here's another question:
>>
File: carboxihemo.png (99KB, 1193x535px) Image search: [Google]
carboxihemo.png
99KB, 1193x535px
>>
File: radioactivity desu.png (79KB, 480x537px) Image search: [Google]
radioactivity desu.png
79KB, 480x537px
>>
File: Surfactants.png (25KB, 481x307px) Image search: [Google]
Surfactants.png
25KB, 481x307px
>>
File: this one is weird.png (98KB, 1118x540px) Image search: [Google]
this one is weird.png
98KB, 1118x540px
Anons? Are you out there?
>>
I think I need to hand back my degree, this is giving me a headache.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.