[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC Issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Caesar.jpg (125KB, 449x640px) Image search: [Google]
Caesar.jpg
125KB, 449x640px
Howdy! I'm having some issues with my PC and I hope someone here can help me.

Problem: Often, my PC refuses to load anything. Opening a File Browser crashes Explorer, can't open new programs, some programs opened show in Task Manager but don't actually appear on screen, and sometimes in games (PUBG) for example things stop loading, i.e. no icons for new items I find after the problem starts, new weapons have no sound, ambient sound stops, etc. The problem typically slows the PC to a halt until I have to restart it. sometimes, however, after 10 minutes or so all the programs I tried to launch when the problem started will all open at once and function continues like nothing happened.

Build:
i5 65003.2ghz | CPU
ASUS B150 PRO GAMING D3 DDR3 | Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaw 16gig (2x8gig) | RAM //WORTH NOTING I got these from a friend a year or two ago /lightly/ used.
Rx 630ss 630w | PSU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 | GPU
2x 1TB WDB Hard Drives | Storage //1 of these hard drives is <1 year old, the other >4 years.

The CPU is cooled with the standard out-of-the-box CPU cooler. I just recently replaced the Motherboard and CPU, if that makes a difference, about 6 months ago.

Big thanks to anyone who can help!
>>
Your hardware is good so it shouldn't be acting like this. Obviously it's software.

First thing you want to do is take all the crap off startup you don't need. Install CCleaner and then start it up and post a screenshot (if your computer doesn't freeze before then).
>>
>>366507
Sorry for the late response. I'm actually considering just doing a full wipe of the PC, moving important files to the older hard drive, removing it, then wiping the new hard drive and reinstalling windows from scratch. Out of curiosity though, what makes you think it's definitely a software issue over hardware? I secretly believed it to be the RAM but that's based entirely on assumptions.
>>
>>366515
also to make the severity of the issue more clear, I wouldn't have any trouble installing a program, it's definitely not that bad. It's not really a work-while-i-can issue, more an ah-shit-there-it-goes-again kinda thing. If that makes any sense.
>>
>>366515

I don't think it's ram. bad ram almost always gives you serious issues like BSOD/auto restarts.

If you really want to know if your ram is bad run memtest and if everything checks out then your ram is good.

Those issues you described are typical of a pc with random junk running and clashing. I would format if I were you. That's never a bad idea.
>>
>>366515
What makes you think you need to wipe the disk to install Windows from scratch?

Is it full? Do you have some reason to think there's a rootkit or that the filesystem is corrupt?

If the answer to these is "no", then just clean install Windows without wiping it, and fish your stuff out of \Windows.old\.
>>
>>366521
>>366515
Not only that, RAM is not capable of being slow. Because of the way it's designed, it either returns correct data on time, or incorrect data on time, but it always returns data on time.

RAM is clocked and controlled externally by the memory controller, and the specified number of cycles after the CAS, the memory controller will make it transfer whether it's ready or not. If it's not, you get wrong data and a BSOD; you don't get the RAM telling the memory controller to slow down.
>>
>>366506
This sounds like a software problem in the OS's storage subsystem.

Start by removing your antivirus using the manufacturer's removal tool (google "<whatever> removal tool"), then reinstalling it.

You can also have a look in perfmon and see what's hitting the disk, and what's getting crazy IO latencies.
>>
Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the responses, this has provided a lot of insight. I think I'm going to go ahead with the wipe/re-install.

>>366593
I know there are other ways around it but I typically wipe my PC like this once a year at least. It's due for it anyway. I could get all prude-y and list a bunch of reasons I guess but at the bottom line I guess it's just because I like to, probably no real reason. And it /should/ take care of the problem considering there won't be any software to clash.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. To be honest I didn't know if 4chan was gonna be the best place to find help but I didn't wanna fuck with signing up for some kind of forum. Opened my eyes for sure. Appreciate it!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.