[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is currently $70 on massdrop, is that a good deal? I�

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 91jHmgQmKhL._SL1500_.jpg (344KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91jHmgQmKhL._SL1500_.jpg
344KB, 1500x1500px
This is currently $70 on massdrop, is that a good deal? I'm concerned it's marked up because of the wooden box which I don't really give a shit about. Really, I just need the gamebit for GBC cartridges and triwings for some nintendo stuff, but I don't have a proper screwdriver set anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/iFixit-Universal-Bit-Kit/dp/B01CQ3C6NC/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1502600295&sr=1-2&keywords=universal+bit+kit

Anyone know anything cheaper but just as complete?
>>
>>363259
The driver looks kind of crap, but I think the bits will fit in other drivers so it's not a complete loss.
>>
File: Untitled118.jpg (573KB, 720x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled118.jpg
573KB, 720x1046px
>>363259
Its a rip.

Pic is one of many choices.
>>
>>363259
You could take a look at Proxxon 23107 special bit set. They are real tools.
>>
>>363329
>Proxxon 23107
it's $100+ on amazon ;_;

I'm just a poorfag aspiring tinkerer, is it really worth the $90 over this >>363305 ?
>>
>>363330
>it's $100+ on amazon ;_;

Check out then Toolcraft 820952 Safety & Special Bit Set. It's a fucking same set half a price or even less.
>>
>>363330
>Proxxon 23107
No, it's absolutely not.

A bitset is a bitset. >>363305 and similar work perfectly well for driving screws, and that's the thing you actually need them to do.

If you think it's worth $90 to get a box where the inside is all pretty and the philips bits don't fall out the lid sometimes, then step right up.

I've had something similar to >>363305 for over a decade, and I've never snapped a single bit. I have bent some of the flatheads, and I've lost a bunch of the #2 philips/#2 pozi bits, and the magnet fell out the magnetic quick-change, but y'know what? None of this matters because the whole set was less than $10, and can be replaced for the same.

One time, I had an Xbox controller that needed taken apart, but the bit wouldn't fit down the hole. I chucked it in my drill, and used a dremel as a mini-lathe to turn it thin enough so it would. If you needed a one-off bit, would you grind material off a piece from your expensive proxxon kit?

Sometimes, cheap is itself an advantage.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (174KB, 1350x1350px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
174KB, 1350x1350px
>>363259
Nintendo bits are $0.50 on eBay. Add a 50-piece kit and handle for $12, and you are done.

>>363347
Or OP could get some generic ones and have enough money left over for a fucking power tool.
>>
>>363259
IKEA do an electric screwdriver for $10, or a drill/screwdriver for $20.

It's not going to be the best screwdriver in the entire world, but you're still paying less than $30 for an entire set of security bits, a bunch of spare normal bits, a manual screwdriver head, and a power screwdriver.

That's got to be a better deal than iFixit's kit.
>>
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I haven't decided on a kit yet but I have a little better understanding of the price range I should expect. I figured $70 was way too high
>>
>>363378
Anon, if you are into getting a compact and good battery driver for home use then consider Bosch IXO. It can't drill anything but is unbeatable with screws in tight and weird places because it's short and small. Had that for 6 years with me and will not change.

This is now a useful home tinkerer tool thread.

Anons, what do you think about actual soldering station like Weller WECP-20 over a generic 20W soldering iron? Is it worth it? Where it is worth it?
>>
>>363383
>This is now a useful home tinkerer tool thread.
No it isn't, take it to >>>/diy/ .

Agree on Bosch cordlesses being really good, but really pretty-much any planetary-gear driver will do the same job. For really tight spaces you should get one of these: the bits go inside the handle, so it adds only 2mm to the length of the bit. And it comes with special shortened bits.

Solder stations are a big step up from an unregulated iron. Set them to 350, and you can wail on a board for hours and never strip a track. Set them to 450 or 500, and they desolder like a motherfucker. Because they're temperature-controlled, they give zero fucks about heat dissipation or ground planes, they just pump more power in. I've used mine to desolder a massive-ass heatsink.

Get a bigger bit, maybe a chisel or just a fat pointy one: small bits act as a bottleneck when you're working with big components. It won't hurt anything because it's temperature-controlled, though you'll need better control of the bit as it's physically bigger. Ideal solder joints are hot and fast, and a nice reservoir of heat in the tip helps with that.

All that said, create your own thread, don't hijack OP's, and a general shooting-the-shit thread should be in >>>/diy/
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 1366x646px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 1366x646px
>>363383
Goddammit one of these.

>>363259
OP, you should get one too. There'll be times where there's a screw you can see, but you just can't get a screwdriver on. This tool will save your bacon, and it's less than $10.
>>
>>363388
>>This is now a useful home tinkerer tool thread.
>No it isn't, take it to >>>/diy/ .

Anon, I have a well-reasoned, lessons learned argument why /wsr/ community is often 10x better in everything than a designated 4chan board on topic.

>>363388
>Because they're temperature-controlled, they give zero fucks about heat dissipation or ground planes, they just pump more power in.

See? Great advice on-topic in one post. Thanks.
>>
>>363396
>/wsr/ community is often 10x better in everything than a designated 4chan board on topic.

One of the reasons for this is that we mercilessly drive out cancer like generals and thread-hijacking.

This isn't on-topic, because the topic is OP's screwdriver bits (>>363259
), not your soldering iron, which you should replace with a genuine Hakko fx-888D, and not a Chinese counterfeit.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.