[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VPN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1440164547987.gif (100KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1440164547987.gif
100KB, 200x200px
So i just got caught downloading movies by Warner bros and my service provide bell. Could a VPN prevent this from happening next time? If so could someone walk me through the steps of VPNs preferably a free one?
>>
>>361497
yes cyberghost is a free one look up tutorial
>>
I would strongly recommend a paid VPN, they're like 7$ a month and don't sell your data like free VPNs, try nordVPN or PIA
>>
>>361509
>>361536
ok can i have a little more info on how this will help me out? im willing to pay but will a VPN protect me even from my service provider how does one install this? also i heard chrome uses this thing called bot net? should i still use chrome?
>>
>>361538
Ill try and be pretty simple, when you use a VPN, before your Internet traffic leaves your computer, it gets encrypted in such a way that your ISP can't understand it. Then it gets send to a large datacenter where your traffic is unencrypted and send out to wherever it needs to go, it works in reverse too, so when you download something it goes to your VPNs datacenter first, gets encrypted, then it gets sent to your computer, and decrypted.

A VPN stops your ISP from being able to understand what you're doing on the internet because they only see encrypted data from you. To use a VPN you would install a program like openVPN on your PC, openVPN works with pretty much any VPN, all you need to do is enter your VPNs password and that's it.

>chrome uses something called bot net
botnet is a term for services that take telemetry, and data from you, like what websites you visit, and what stuff you do online , and either sell it to 3rd party company's or use it for targeted advertising. Google makes most of it's income from advertising, mainly by seeing what you search and giving you ads related to that product.

Windows is notorious for being a "botnet", they take everything you do on your OS and sell it. It's not bad to use chrome, if you've already been using it for years there's no need to switch. But if you want to try something new , go with Firefox.
>>
>>361562
thanks i got the free version of cyber ghost and it works great but the torrent anonymously button is for premium users. do i need that to torrent while being protected by the VPN or will protect my wifi be enough for torrenting?
>>
random question, does this happen in third world countries as well? or only in murica/europe? i rarely torrent anything but lately i'm been torrenting a few series
>>
>>361592
OP here the reason i asked is cause i downloaded Dunkirk the new movie from pirate bay and Warner bros sent a email to my ISP Bell who sent it to me. i dont think im being sued or anything but i really have to read the fine print. so id get a VPN
>>
>>361590
They probably block the ports needed to torrent, I wouldn't really try with a free VPN but you can if you want.

>>361592
Most 3rd world countrys don't enforce DMCA because it's not worth it. There's several Isps in America and euro that don't care about torrenting. In Canada most ISPs don't care either. It mostly deponds on the ISP.

>>361593
ISPs can't really sue you for torrenting, they have no proof it was you. It's snake oil they are forced to send out by the law. In Canada and most of America the letters hold 0 legal ground.
>>
>>361604
>ISPs can't really sue you for torrenting
ISPs wouldn't want to sue you for torrenting, they have nothing to gain from it; they're forced to send out letters by copyright holders (who would have something to gain by suing you)

And ISP could be pressured into dropping you as a customer though
>>
ok so im not OP but was wondering. can you use this to stop data-mining
>>
>>362072
Use can use it to stop your ISP from data mining you. Not windows or chrome.
>>
>>362074
but if i use something like firefox or tor?
>>
>>362077
Chrome can't data-mine you if you use a different browser, and a different Search Engine. Windows will still data-mine the hell out of you. Tor accomplishes the same thing as a VPN
>>
>>361623
Sure they do: torrenters are heavy users, and ISPs lose money on heavy users.

You're the big fat guy at the buffet, and the first time they see you shitting in the corner of the room, they'll use that as a pretext to throw you out.
>>
>>362189
What are you talking about? How the hell do ISPs lose money on heavy users? There isn't a magical internet tube that gets filled up when everyone is using the internet, ISPs can support a fuckton more traffic than they ever have. They don't lose money on heavy users, if anything their Network is saturated and everyone gets throttled
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.