[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any physics teachers here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1499603162938.jpg (190KB, 1024x1242px) Image search: [Google]
1499603162938.jpg
190KB, 1024x1242px
Please give me the answer to this question and explain how you got to it.

An object is being acted upon by three forces and moves with a constant velocity.

One force is 60.0 N along the x-axis, the second is 75.0 N along a direction making a clockwise angle of 150.0° with the x-axis.
What is the magnitude and direction of the third force, measured clockwise from the x-axis?

Answer is either 164degrees, 146, 236, 255 or 262(it is multiple choice)

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>356845
draw a goddamn force diagram of the object
>constant velocity
what does that tell you?
>>
>>356850
No you don't understand, I drew the diagram and I know the remaining force needs to add up with the other two to get 0N cos the object isn't moving and these are my calculations:

75sin150= 37.5

75cos150= -64.95

-64.95+60= -4,95N(x-axis)

F3 + -4.95 + 37.5 = 0N

F3= -(F1 + F2)

= 4,95+ 37.5

inverse tan of 37.5/4.85= 82.63 degrees

which is NOT one of the multiple choice answers and i'm panicking because I have no lecturers to help because correspondence course

Please tell me what is wrong with my calculations or line of thought.
>>
>>356897
>F3= -(F1 + F2)
kinda-sorta true
>F3 + -4.95 + 37.5 = 0N
wrong
4.95N is the x-axis component of F3
37.5N is the y-axis component
you can't add these numbers directly
these forces are not in the same direction
but how would you find the magnitude of the force with these components?

you fucked up the signs as well
when doing the force balance, split it into components x and y
e.g.
>F1ₓ + F2ₓ + F3ₓ = Fₙₑₜ ₓ
go ahead and find F3x and F3y, then report back

>inverse tan of 37.5/4.85= 82.63 degrees
reference angles, my lad
your answer looks sorta right, but I think you don't know what this number actually means
so draw in F3 and get its angle
>measured clockwise from the x-axis
>>
>>356845
>>356911
The problem is that if F3 needs 4.95N to the left, none of OP's multiple choice options make sense. Going clockwise from +x, everything between 90 and 270 would have a negative x component.
>>
>>356951
huh, you're right. answer should be quadrant IV. question's broke.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.