[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to tranform into quadratic form and solve for the unknown?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: The-sad-truth.jpg (67KB, 460x817px) Image search: [Google]
The-sad-truth.jpg
67KB, 460x817px
1) m^4 -8m^2-16=0

2)m^4-6m^2+5=0

3) (4m^2+m)^2 - 7(4m^2+m)+6=0

please help me i'm just desperate to pass
>>
>>351185
>i'm just desperate to pass
Should've studied desperately then. This is literally the baby's first math, if you can't solve this you're better off failing and taking the class again.
http://www.virtualnerd.com/algebra-2/polynomials/equations/solve-equations/quadratic-form-definition
https://www.cliffsnotes.com/study-guides/algebra/algebra-ii/quadratics-in-one-variable/solving-equations-in-quadratic-form
>>
>>351202
you might want to actually look at the problems kid
>>
>>351185
For the first 2, you need to make n = m^2, apply the quadratic formula and then take the square root for each answer. For the last one you can't do this and there are 4 answers. To solve this you need to convert it to a form where

(am^2 + bm +c)(dm^2 + em + f) = 0

Your coefficients in decreasing order are
[16,8,-27,-7,6]

a*d = 16
a*e + b*d = 8
a*f + b*e + c*d = -27
b*f + c*e = -7
c*f = 6

Wow, that's a lot of crap to do. The good news is that you can make something up for a and d, do the same for c and f, and then use them to determine b and e. Plug everything in at the end to make sure it checks out - if not, you'll have to re-do one of your initial guesses. After which, you can take either parenthetical term I described above, and do the quadratic equation to get 2 answers for each. Because for the whole thing to be 0, only one of those terms has to be 0. In total, you should get 4 answers with no calculator required.
>>
>>351240
I think there's a mathematical way to figure out a-f, but it's very complicated and probably out of the class's scope. I found that making the easiest initial guess led to

a = d = 4 (my guess)
b = e = 1
4f + 1 + 4c = -27 ---> 4(f + c) = -28
f + (6/f) = -7 since c = 6/f. At this point you can guess, but just to be analytical:
f(f + (6/f) + 7) = 0
f^2 + 7f + 6 = 0
Quadratic formula on this says that
f = (-7 plus or minus sqrt(25))/2 = -6 or -1
If we make f = -6, then c = -1 and vice-versa.

I made that post, then felt bad because I didn't try solving the equation myself to verify that it's doable analytically. I was still wrong by telling you to guess for 4 different variables, when only 2 is necessary.
>>
File: Joffrey.gif (1004KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
Joffrey.gif
1004KB, 500x250px
>>351240
>>351246
Wow that's awesome, gj dude.
>>
>>351281
No prob
>>
>>351185
you goobers overcomplicated (3) severely
set (4m^2+m) = x
(3) becomes
x^2 - 7x + 6 = 0
(x - 6)(x - 1) = 0
then put it back
[(4m^2 + m) - 6][(4m^2 + m) - 1] = 0
(4m^2 + m - 6)(4m^2 + m -1) = 0
boom, quadratics
no guesswork required
>>
File: weebey.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
weebey.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>351529
I figured there had to be an easier way...
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.