[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if i change my boot device from a hard drive to an ssd, will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 71nMBwqRSyL._SL1500_[1].jpg (105KB, 1083x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71nMBwqRSyL._SL1500_[1].jpg
105KB, 1083x1500px
if i change my boot device from a hard drive to an ssd, will i have to reinstall drivers? will i lose any files that were on the original boot device?

ive been putting off getting an ssd, but might get one in the coming weeks. my motherboard has an m.2 drive, so i would use that. i nstalled windows 10 on a hard drive using a flash drive. as far as i understand, i can unistall it from the hard drive, put it back on the stick, then install it on the ssd. i'll be doing more research, but came her first since im not really sure how to word the question to find an answer. thanks in advance.
>>
>>350426
if the SSD is large enough to contain everything currently on the HD, you can simply clone it and everything will be preserved

if it is not large enough, you would have to start over with windows

>my motherboard has an m.2 drive, so i would use that
wat
>>
File: Z97-11[1].png (161KB, 360x239px) Image search: [Google]
Z97-11[1].png
161KB, 360x239px
>>350439
thanks. im guessing starting over with windows means reinstalling drivers and all that?

also, i meant. m.2 slot, sorry.
>>
>>350442
if you had to reinstall windows, yes

>m.2 slot
ahh, that makes more sense

if you are getting a large enough ss drive, you can simply copy everything from the HD, and it should work just the same

if you don't have enough space, and don't have a separate to temporarily use for storage during the move, you're probably stuck

next best option would be to take out the HD, plug in SSD, install windows, then plug in the HD and manually copy over whatever you want to keep
>>
>>350445
Not boned, just clone the EFI partition then boot the Windows installer, shift-f10, copy \Windows, \Program files, \users, and \program files (x86) to the new drive, then boot the installer again without the old drive connected, and do a startup repair.

I've not tried this, but there's no reason it shouldn't work. Obviously if \Users is full of stuff, don't copy all of it.
>>
>>350469
>I've not tried this, but there's no reason it shouldn't work
said X many people when they try and do repairs that should be simple, like a repair install
>>
>>350492
1) it's not a repair install, it's a startup repair, which is merely writing on a bootloader and regenerating the BCD
2) IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER IF IT WORKS OR NOT BECAUSE IT'S BEING DONE ON A BLANK SSD.

Here, I've made a backup of all the data OP might lose: "". It's there between the quote marks.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.