[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Csynk vs sync on luma?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: $_58.jpg (29KB, 640x552px) Image search: [Google]
$_58.jpg
29KB, 640x552px
I don't know anything about this. I am thinking about bying a RGB scart for a PAL PS1 that is going to be played on a CRT. Should I get a cable with CSYNC or a cable with sync over luma. Simple terms only please, I really don't know anything about this.
>>
>>350298
SCART specifies composite-video-sync* (often erroneously called "csync"), but it doesn't really matter because SCART receivers in RGB mode are only really looking out for the sync pulses.

If you're feeding a sync signal or some other video signal instead of a proper composite video signal, then some advanced features of SCART (RGB overlaying, composite fallback for devices that don't support RGB) won't work, but these are very likely features you're not going to actually use.

* The reason for this is that it was intended to be one standard that would support TVs, VCRs, decoder boxes, teletext boxes, and closed-captioning boxes. For this reason, it has two audio signals and two composite video signals in each direction, plus one RGB signal in one direction. This means it supports a TV receiving a scrambled signal, passing it downstream through a CC box that just passes it unmodified, to a decoder box that decodes it, passes it back to the CC box which again passes the composite signal unmodified, but outputs sibtitles on the RGB signal lines, and pulses the RGB enable line so that the TV itself genlocks the RGB subtitles onto the composite TV signal.

A more mundane use was a cable box outputting to a TV's first SCART socket, which passes the cable signal down the second SCART socket to a VCR, which can also send a video signal up the second SCART socket when it's playing.

The reason the sync signal is also a composite video signal is that a compliant RGB SCART cable already has three coaxial wires and five pins each for the upstream and downstream, and three and six for the RGB stream, making nine coaxial bundles and sixteen pins to fit in the connector before any handshaking logic. As the devices were required to output composite to support bidirectional transport and non-RGB devices, adding two additional shielded wires and another four pins just to duplicate sync information that was already available would have been the straw that broke the camel.
>>
>>350298
OP, you might be confused after reading https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/composite-video-vs-composite-sync , which is one of the first results when you google it.

These guys sell retrogaming equivalents of audiophile shit, and they try to make you think you need them by using technological-sounding explainations that are truthy enough, and don't contain any outright lies, but aren't actually true and draw conclusions that aren't actually supported. You'll notice they use weaselly sentences like "which gives a clearer picture in some cases": the cases in question are "when the circuit in your TV that does the exact same thing is broken or defective".

TVs never display the sync signal on screen. They use it to calibrate their own internal sync generator, which they use to "lock on" to the incoming signal and display it in the right place on the screen. So long as your TV is not broken, it will accept any signal that has sync pulses at the correct times and nothing that looks like a sync pulse but isn't, and the picture quality will always be exactly the same because the sync signal is not used to generate the picture.
>>
>>350347
So I should just keep using my cable that came with the Ps1 and not bother with an RGB scart?
>>
>>350351
If you have a SCART already, you might already have an RGB SCART. Some TVs (mostly Sonys) had separate entries in the AV menu for the same port's composite and RGB inputs. (which is reasonable because they can be displaying different things).

If not, any RGB SCART designed for the playstation is interchangeable with any other. You certainly don't want one with a sync stripper or sync-on-luma: this will prevent you using it on a non-RGB TV, but provide no actual benefit beyond a placebo.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 590x429px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 590x429px
>>350347
Another thing they're a hair's breadth from actually lying about is saying that composite-video+sync causes interference. Yes, all these video signals go down the same wire.

No, there's no interference because they don't all do so at the same time. Composite video uses the wire when the electron guns are on the screen, and sync when the guns are off it. They never use the same wire at the same time.
>>
>>350351
Oh, and PSX, PS2 and PS3 apparently all have the same AV connector, so a PS2 or PS3 cable should work fine too.
>>
>>350367
Yeah that I actually knew, however everyone says that the best way to go is Ps1 with Ps1 RGB cable to a CRT so idk... unless you use an upscaler like the vp50 pro to a hdtv which can make it slightly better some say. However I am looking to play on a CRT so I just want the best possible cable here and many say that the cable that comes with the Ps1 as standard is shit.
>>
File: 20170721_020528.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170721_020528.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>350358
I was thinking about getting one of these:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-av-accessories/sony-playstation

And what I have is in the pics.
>>
File: 20170721_020526.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170721_020526.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>350380
>>
>>350374
It was a standard cost-cutting measure to supply a composite video cable and a SCART adapter. This meant your one cable could connect to almost any TV or VCR, and who cares if the folks with a fully-wired SCART don't get RGB?

There are a whole heap of official and aftermarket SCART cables though, as it was an obvious purchase for anyone with a SCART socket, and cost practically nothing compared to the console or its games.
>>
>>350385
Yeah... I'm just going from what I saw in these vids:

https://youtu.be/f7fCTHu99bk

https://youtu.be/MV9dw78Ruqw

That's why I decided on those RGB cables from the UK

Anyways, should I or should I not buy one of them? And if yes, then which one? If not then thanks for all help and info and I'll just keep on playing my Ps1 as is... sisn't really see an issue with the quality desu... I was just looking for ways to improve my games.
>>
>>350382
>>350380
That's a composite video cable with an adapter like in >>350385 .

There's nothing wrong with the cables you're looking at, but you can save £15-25 by getting something like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/152021730064
>>
>>350389
The fuck happened to my keyboard there?...
>>
>>350390
Will I be getting the same high quality results tho? I've heard that quality can vary form cable to cable depending on if the manufacturer knew what he was doing or if it's just a cheap after market scart. Is this true or can I just buy one of these and get the same result for cheaper.
>>
>>350380
>>350389
Actually, no, all those cables are non-standard ones with the composite video replaced with something else for audiophile reasons.

You can totally get one, and it will totally work provided you use an RGB TV, but it won't work on TVs that don't use RGB, and you won't be able to use a VCR to record your gaming. (like anyone does that anymore anyway).

If you're sure you'll only use RGB devices, then go right ahead. You're getting a nice warranty and quality wires; you know they're not going to cheap out and use regular wires instead of coaxial pairs, for example. The quality improvement of their modifications is woo, but at least you know it's going to be built with care and supported by a warranty.

I've recommended their megadrive cables before because you can't just get megadrive cables everywhere, and it cost less for them to make one than for me to make one. But that's not the case with Playstation.
>>
>>350392
It doesn't let you type desu, so as to discourage you from using it.

>>350396
The real goblin is aftermarket SCARTs that don't include the RGB wires. They make up 60% of the coaxial wires in a full SCART cable, and cheap manufacturers can save money leaving them out as their SCART lead will still display a signal, albeit not an RGB one.

As long as you get one that's clearly marked "RGB SCART", you'll be fine.
>>
>>350397
Quick retard question... how do I know my fat tv supports RGB? Don't all old fat tvs support this? If not, which do and how do I tell? I have a little fat tv right now but I am going to buy a bigger one later and if there is something to look for I would like to know.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 497x326px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 497x326px
>>350401
Almost all of them do, but not necessarily on every socket. Some are designed for S-Video/SCART, which is a non-standard standard that uses one of the RGB pins for S-Video.

There's a vaguely-standard labelling scheme where the ones marked with the three dots ( [--- ) are RGB, and the ones that aren't aren't.

A guaranteed way to check is to pull out the flat end of the SCART lead and not the pointy end, and see if you can get a red or yellow picture. If you don't get a red picture from only the R pin, or an orange picture from the R and G pins, then the TV is using only the composite pin.
>>
>>350408
Ok, thanks man! I will be looking for these things when getting a bigger screen. Some give them away for free so why the fuck not.

Anyway, thanks.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.